Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM THEATER | Past Batman Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Batman 1943 - Posted on 28-01-2007 11:39
User Avatar BornAgainBatman
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

I was looking for Batman Returns DVD collectors Edition when i seen a Batman 1942 TV Series and i was like what the hell is this.

Anyone with info????
Edited by BornAgainBatman on 28-01-2007 18:35
godcomingsoon7 godcomingsoon7 myspace.com/andyakalife Send Private Message
RE: Batman 1942 - Posted on 28-01-2007 12:06
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I take it you're referring to Columbia's 1943 serial film entitled The Batman. For some reason, it's now known as simply Batman, probably as not to confuse with the WB animated series. Either way, it was a series of low budget film chapters that were shown in theaters. A follow up was produced in 1949 entitled Batman & Robin. I still have yet to buy either of the 2005 DVD sets, but I'd like to, as they offer the very first live-action Batman.

CLICK HERE for BYTB's DVD - Live Action Movies selection, and CLICK HERE for our Serials section (it's a bit small right now though). The serials have touched a few other areas of Media too, like 8mm silent films, VHS releases, and magazines, so just let me know if you're interested and I'll link ya right up. wink

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman 1942 - Posted on 28-01-2007 17:58
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

Wow!!!
Caleson, you always amaze me with all the info and details you give.
Thank you so much.

i was so tempted to buy it but i didnt know anything about it.

so is this any good????

time to look at te links you gave me......
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 28-01-2007 21:12
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

It is an old-style serial. If you are into the modern glitz and special effects, you'll hate it. BUT, if you can appreciate it, its place in the Batman mythos, and the "character" of the low-budget (it was made DURING WW2), and now they handled the Japanese and Batman's relation to the military, you'll enjoy it. JUST remember, it is NOT PC. The villian is Japanese and portrayed in all the propaganda and racism of the time.

I have it and actually enjoy it (just keep it in its historical context).

The 1949 one is similar, though has more post-war sci-fi technology.

I own both and count them as important parts of my Batman colection.

Sum Nox!
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 28-01-2007 21:15
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

And you know.. it's not as campy as the 60's series. BATMAN is actually serious.

They even go undersvoer in the second chapter. something you never really see cept in the toons, and even The Batman doesn't do that.

It's a great film for it's day.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 29-01-2007 02:09
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

Thanks guys for the great info.

It seems like a must have for the hardcore fan like myself Smile
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 02-05-2008 13:14
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I plan on buying this (1943). A hobby of mine is watching and researching classic movies ('specialy ones from the 30's and 40's). It's almost worth buying for the package art alone. rolleyes
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 02-05-2008 14:24
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

For those who are interested . . .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Batman%20-%20The%20Complete%201943%20Movie%20Serial%20Collection&tag=batmyesttodab-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

*Edited post to include our Amazon ID... - Chris

Sum Nox!

Edited by Chris on 02-05-2008 15:07
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 11-05-2008 00:28
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I bought this the other day. (Yay!)

I just finished the first disc earlier. And so far it's pretty good. I'm not quite sure if it exceeded my expectations or not. But I really like Batman himself in the film. He's not trying to be too serious, and certainly not trying to be campy.

I guess I can give a better look back on it when I finish it. rolleyes
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 22-05-2008 02:39
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Well I finished it a few days back. And I must say I was a little disappointed by the ending. But all in all it was a good film. If someone were to ask me if they should buy it or not, or what my opinion on it is, I'd tell them that it is what it is. It's a Batman movie made in 1943. If you think that sounds cool and you like stuff from back then, you shouldn't have any problem with it. But if old movies don't interest you, don't expect anything different from Batman.

I gotta be honest, Lewis Wilson is definitley in the top 5 real-life actors to play Batman. Heck, even in the top 5 both live action and animated. And heck, I might as well make a list while I'm here.

1. Christian Bale
2. Kevin Conroy
3. Lewis Wilson
4. Michael Keaton
5. Rino Romano

Okay, just so you know, I had to think about it for a while to put Wilson over Keaton. But it's personal opinion. I have yet to see Robert Lowery's Batman (1949). But the costume looks so goofy I'll probably stay away from that serial...for a while at least.
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 22-05-2008 09:14
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Spam Gone-> Delete this post, please. It is not completely irrelevant

Sum Nox!

Edited by Tartan Jack on 22-05-2008 15:46
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 22-05-2008 12:24
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Spammer taken care of!

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 14-08-2008 03:41
User Avatar Ashton
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I thought it was really interesting that Frank Miller said the two serials were his favorite live-action versions of Batman. On the Batman '89 special edition DVD he said that "He wasn't awfully high-tech, but he was just this guy out doing a lot of hard work... but he was cool."

http://www.freewebs.com/batman_themusical/
Edited by Ashton on 14-08-2008 03:42
itsalive1816 itsalive1816@hotmail.com ashtonu http://www.myspace.com/ashtonjaymz Send Private Message
RE: Batman 1943 - Posted on 18-09-2009 17:14
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I also own both of the movie serials and they are both neat to watch, neither of the serials have villians from the comics however both villians were good for their time.
The first one was Dr. Daka, the head of a Japanese spy ring working out of a funhouse in an amusement park, most of the copies sold today are edited because of the anti-japanese racial slurs in the episodes.
The second serial had a villian named The Wizard and he had this machine that could render anything with an engine unusable, he was basically a run of the mill criminal for serials of the time.
As I said they were good for their time even if production budgets were pretty close to zero.

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me'-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.