Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM THEATER | Past Batman Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 24-08-2007 23:49
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

As the summer of 2007 comes to a close, let us reflect one last time on one of the greatest comic book films ever made (or at least the promotion building up to it), ten years later...

BatSymbol2 George Clooney's appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, where they commented on Kellogg's Batman Corn Flakes as well as Kenner's Battle Gear Bruce Wayne figure.

Leno: But you know what the best part is? ...It says (it's not flattering) "Contains small parts."

BatSymbol2 A few nights later, Jay again commented on B&R merchandising and made a prop joke in the opening monologue preceding Schwarzenegger's appearance.

Chris O'Donnell and Elle Macpherson were also interviewed that month.

Leno: I really do think this is the best Batman movie.

BatSymbol2 Primetime's "backstage pass" to Batman & Robin, with Cynthia McFadden on the set of what would become arguably the greatest comic film of all time. She also got to sit in the awesome new Batmobile... Looks like Clooney really was chosen for his magnificent jawline, eh?

BatSymbol2 And finally, the Batman & Robin edition of Oprah who, in strengthening the film's dignity, wore a "Bat-mask" for the special occasion. Here's hoping she'll don a scarred mouth prosthetic and green hair for next year’s film.

McFadden: When people come out of the film, Batman & Robin, what do you want them to say?
Schumacher: ...Wow, I had a great time.

And we did, Joel. We certainly did. dull

By the way, I recently bought Video Creator software. Eventually, these videos will all be available for download in their entirety.

Edited by Caleson on 24-08-2007 23:56
Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 24-08-2007 23:55
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I was in Newport TN, visiting my inlaws. My son wasn't born, my daughter was a year old and with family, so my wife and I went to see it. It was packed! (well, there was like 5 rows with 4 seats, so I guess the ten or so of us there made it packed.)

When the movie came one, I was like WOW.. what a peice of Great Batman History.. my wife asked if it was a sequel to the 60's Batman with all the bright colors...

But you know, without it, we might never have gotten Begins.. so CELEBRATE!

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 25-08-2007 11:52
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I wrote up a defence of Batman and Robin, but I don't think it ever made it to the site (whatever happened with that, Chris?). That movie was pretty much a product of its time and the execs at Warner Bros.

If you watch the Schumaker interviews on the new Batman and Robin Special Edition DVD, he says that he was told to try to put as many things into the movie that could be turned into toys.

SGFin99 Send Private Message
RE: 10yrs. of forgotten poo-poo... - Posted on 25-08-2007 14:09
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I hate to rain on the B & R parade here, but
the nerve for George Clowny to even be
associated with Batman on the Jay Lego show
is beyond me...( What an Insult.!!! )

Then the really Big O has the FAT GUTS to say
that this is the best Batman movie, is beyond the
realm of stupidity or just plain mis-understanding
what The Batman really is...no

May Christopher Nolan be credited for saving the
Batman Franchise and saving us all loyal Bat-
Brothers from the reigns of the Joe Shoemaker
nightmares forever...

Long live the real Batman actors:Smile

Adam West...batman
Michael KeatonSmile
Val Kilmar batman3
and
Christian Balethe batman

Edited by inzo on 25-08-2007 15:34
inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 25-08-2007 16:16
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Kid, Clooney did the best he could. He's actually a really good actor, but when the director's dead-set on making a farse instead of a movie you can't do much.

As for Leno... First, as I recall Clooney was very reluctant to do press for the movie; second, Leno's a tool... He's probably more entertained by the farse than the real movies. lol

So I say we should give Clooney some respect... He had to endure a lot.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Yeah well - Posted on 25-08-2007 17:14
User Avatar jef
Just Visiting

Awards:
None

Ok we pretty much agree that as far as a cinematic version of our hero this movie was a new low.

But on the other hand, as a collector of Bat merchandise, I got tons of cool toys and other products very cheap since it was such a bomb!

Always look on the bright side of life!joker
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 25-08-2007 19:57
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Razhwurz wrote:
Kid, Clooney did the best he could.
Kid? I'm afraid he's old enough to be your dad, friend. Besides, calling everyone "kid" is just demeaning. I've got some years over you, too, but I'd never address you that way.

Anyhow...

I'd have to agree that Batman & Robin was a product of its time. You could almost call it the "glam" era of Batman cinema. When we got our first glimpse of the colorful new costumes and environments, it felt like what we thought Batman cinema should be. The fantasy aspects were amped to the point where the characters were practically smirking at us as if to say "Look at me! I'm in a 'Batman' movie! Pretty wild, huh?" At the same time, though, I'd look back on 1989's film and try to compare the two. I didn't quite think B&R was a better or improved film, just great in a different way. For some reason, seeing Batman whip out a Bat-credit card (complete with a "cha-ching!" sound effect) seemed okay at the time.

Schwarzenegger on The Tonight Show: To get into the character – ‘cause you have to play here, I mean, a very chilling character, a very cold, heartless character - so what I did was to prepare for that was to hang out with my lawyer.

Does anyone remember the rumors of a follow up to B&R? I distinctly remember John Travolta was considered to play Scarecrow and "The Joker's wife" was to appear. I even remember this being told on ABC news as if it was more than a simple rumor. Some celebrity magazine (Star, People, or something else) also mentioned it. I'd like to at least find an article that noted this and create a brief page for it in BYTB's Movies section.

Edited by Caleson on 25-08-2007 20:22
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 25-08-2007 20:14
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Sorry 'bout the kid comment, I didn't mean to sound "holyer than thou"; I just thought it was clever at the time... But for some reason I can't figure for the life of me what I thought was clever about.

Stupid joke. My bad.

Anywho, I never really remember being okay with the neon and stuff. I remember watching it and thinking "Why is there so much goofy stuff in a Batman movie?!". But I guess it was about evolution. After seeing Batman Forever, B&R wasn't nearly as shockingly bad as it is now that Begins is out.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 25-08-2007 21:12
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I don't recall John Travolta ever being linked, but Jeff Goldblum (sp?) was. And Jeeny McCarthy was pegs to play Harley, with Jack coming back as Joker in a dream sequence..

My first Batman site was in 97, right before B&R came out. Of course, I don't have the site anymore, but some of those pics are still used on here!

Anyway.. good times...

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 27-08-2007 15:22
User Avatar yenshen
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I thought the movie was amazing when I saw it when I was 7, but after I saw it a couple of years later, I was like, "WHAT THE F*&(&, I cant belive I LIKED THIS! THIS IS HORRIBLE!"

I know the REAL batman!
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 27-08-2007 15:49
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I was about 11 years old when it came out. For me, it first sunk in that it was a bad film when my brother started getting Wizard and ToyFare magazines the following year (1998). They'd always add speech balloons to figures/artwork of Batman characters making jokes about B&R. So it was a gradual disliking; I didn't notice an uproar against the film immediately upon its release, but maybe there was one within the comic fan base.

RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 27-08-2007 16:36
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I don't remeber a big one, thing again, the internet was still new, and there wasn't alot of info like there is today.

RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 09-09-2007 15:24
User Avatar kryptosdaddy
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I was 34 when I saw Batman and Robin- I saw it with a friend and his 8 year old Daughter- she loved it and squealed and laughed happily during all the fight scenes and even during the puns.
I remember disliking it. Alot. I tried to see through all the problems and changes but I couldn't get myself to like it at all. I read that excellent review on The Agony Booth last week and almost watched the movie right then for the comic relief! It was just awfull.
But Caleson^ is right on about this movie being a sign of it's time. movies during the 90's had all that campy nonscence that was so evident in Batman and Robin.
It is not like that today- does anyone notice the turn now towards serious cop drama that has begun to take over on tv and the box office? It reminds me of the 70's, and a good thing too.batman

"From the begining I knew, there was nothing wrong with you that I couldn't fix with my hands"
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 09-09-2007 22:31
User Avatar Phil
Vigilante

Awards:
Medal 

batman & robin was my favorite batman movie when it first came out. but i was what...6 years old?

i do like batman forever though. it might be my favorite next to batman begins(out of the live action ones). i really think batman forever is underrated because of batman & robin. i dont think the 2 movies should be stuck together. batman forever is way better.

http://batmanytb.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=4
Ph1L Cho Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 14-08-2008 04:07
User Avatar Ashton
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Am I the only one here who's actually a fan of B&R? Not saying it's high art or anything, but I think it's outrageous fun, and a nice tribute to the classic 60's TV show. Hell, I liked it better than "Forever" because it took the camp all the way. Now, all my favorite "Batman" stories are the great dark ones... "The Killing Joke" being #1 for me... but I mean, a little spoofery never hurt anyone.

http://www.freewebs.com/batman_themusical/
Edited by Ashton on 14-08-2008 04:09
itsalive1816 itsalive1816@hotmail.com ashtonu http://www.myspace.com/ashtonjaymz Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 14-08-2008 12:42
User Avatar Batkilt
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

I have a soft spot for it as it was a holiday treat for me. My favourite holiday - including trips to the States, Canada, Spain and other parts of the continent - was a trip to St. Andrews for a caravan holiday with my aunt & uncle, two cousins and my sister. On the last night our treat was to go see this in the cinema.
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 14-08-2008 15:22
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Phil wrote:
batman & robin was my favorite batman movie when it first came out. but i was what...6 years old?

i do like batman forever though. it might be my favorite next to batman begins(out of the live action ones). i really think batman forever is underrated because of batman & robin. i dont think the 2 movies should be stuck together. batman forever is way better.

I think I have a pretty good idea why you like Batman Forever. wink

I pretty much have to put the two films together though, I think I actually dislike them both equally. Heck, I'd rather have George Clooney as Batman than Val Kilmer.

Looking back on them, they're just bad to me. I think Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy is just a terrible performance, same goes for Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face. I'm not saying those two aren't good actors, but something just went wrong there.

However, Batman and Robin does deliver some laughs for some of the ridiculous lines.

"Hi Freeze, I'm Batman."

"Never leave the cave without it."

"I'm afraid you'll have to die...WAHHH!"

I don't really know if I'm laughing at the movie are not, because I think they were actually trying to be funny sometimes, so it worked.
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 19-08-2008 13:17
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

My brother just found some awesome videos on YouTube. There's a 30 second reel of every time Mr. Freeze makes a "cool" or "chill" type of reference that's just hilarious.

Cheesy Ice References in Batman & Robin

Then there's a 10 minute piece of every horrible/funny moment in the film. Very good memory refreshment and put together very comedically.

Batman & Robin Worst Movie Ever

Ashton wrote:
Am I the only one here who's actually a fan of B&R? Not saying it's high art or anything, but I think it's outrageous fun, and a nice tribute to the classic 60's TV show. Hell, I liked it better than "Forever" because it took the camp all the way.
That's just the problem. They took an already existing, dark Batman film series and turned it upside down. Imagine Nolan making two more films that gradually become a huge joke and take all the darkness away from Begins and TDK. That would basically be what happened to Batman in 1997.

Ashton wrote:
But I mean, a little spoofery never hurt anyone.

It sure left a good scar on Batman. That's for sure. However, if that train wreck never happened, we would have never gotten the amazing film series we have now. So Joel Schumacher was, in a way, a blessing in disguise - an effeminate, pony-tailed little blessing in disguise.

RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 19-08-2008 14:18
User Avatar Phil
Vigilante

Awards:
Medal 

hahaha, blessing in disguise. nice.

http://batmanytb.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=4
Ph1L Cho Send Private Message
RE: Batman & Robin: 10 Years Later (Exclusive Footage) - Posted on 19-08-2008 14:31
User Avatar Batkilt
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

My little cousins have boots/training shoes that can be turned into roller blades. Anyone remember the ice skates in the boots? B % R was ahead of its time!

In all seriousness I think Schumaker was guilty of two things with this film.

1) He wasn't strong willed enough to stand up to the studio. He'd already had one of his major subplots that explained the very title of Batman Forever cut, and with this film it's more or less one giant toy commercial. I do wonder if it'd been slightly better if a stronger director had refused some of the ideas at any point. Then again, they'd probably just have hired another director.

3) He brought too much homoeroticism in with this film. There's plenty of gay undercurrents throughout Batman Forever that don't really negatively impact on the film, but here he went overboard. Way, way overboard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.