Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM THEATER | Past Batman Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 09-08-2008 14:05
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

The Dark Knight. I know somebody on YouTube that really likes Tim Burton's stuff but I really have no idea at all why!

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 09-08-2008 19:25
User Avatar batboy99
W. Tech. Manager

Awards:
None

Because Burton is an amazing visionary director who always brings something interesting on screen.

Batman YTB is the best site on the net!
batboy_1999@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 10-08-2008 00:30
User Avatar kpangilinan
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Burton's style is unique but they've become too similar. His movies are always gothic and dark, as if all the characters are in the same universe. There's always a feeling of dreariness and oddball characters. I could almost imagine Sweeney Todd and Willy Wonka living in adjoining towns.

His vision is interesting but after a while, its just repetitive.

The only thing stopping you from success is doubt.
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 10-08-2008 01:10
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

As Burton fan I kinda have to say Returns and 89 aren't his best movies.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 12-08-2008 00:44
User Avatar Hush86
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

My opinion doesn't seem to differ from anyone else's here. Dark Knight is better but I don't think Batman(1989) should be dismissed or passed over. I think they are two very different films and each great in their own right. 1989 was a bit cartooney-er than TDK but still more serious than the bad burlesque show that Batman had become by the time Nolan took over. Nicholson was right for Tim Burton's vision of Batman. Ledger wouldn't have fit in that particular Gotham just as Nicholson would look downright silly in Nolan's movie. 1989 is still a great movie but it's Nolan's vision and Ledger's interpretation I prefer.
Edited by Hush86 on 12-08-2008 00:57
youngmachetes86 Send Private Message
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 26-11-2008 18:46
User Avatar JokesOnYou771
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Hush86 wrote:
My opinion doesn't seem to differ from anyone else's here. Dark Knight is better but I don't think Batman(1989) should be dismissed or passed over. I think they are two very different films and each great in their own right. 1989 was a bit cartooney-er than TDK but still more serious than the bad burlesque show that Batman had become by the time Nolan took over. Nicholson was right for Tim Burton's vision of Batman. Ledger wouldn't have fit in that particular Gotham just as Nicholson would look downright silly in Nolan's movie. 1989 is still a great movie but it's Nolan's vision and Ledger's interpretation I prefer.

I agree 100%. I loved Burton's films when I first saw them, and they still hold a special place in my heart now, even though I think Nolan's films (and the 90s animated series) are far superior. I'm a Burton fan in general, and though I agree that his Batman films were far from his best work (Sweeney Todd and Ed Wood, no contest), they and the first two Superman films helped to gain a bit more respect for superhero movies. The Schumacher films and the next 2 Superman movies are, of course, another story, but still, I think Burton's films helped pave the way for Nolan's films as well as the films based on Marvel Comics' characters.

~~~~~~~~~

SLAUGHTER is the best medicine.
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 26-11-2008 19:59
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

real-dark-knight wrote:
batboy99 wrote:
Heh. Its a really awesome video. To me, Keaton is still and will always be the superior Batman. Obviously Bale is a close second, but i could live without the growl he has.

The growl is surely based on Kevin Conroy's BTAS stuff. The difference between the two is KC's sounded natural. I don't dislike it with Bale, but I can't help but think it's poor if I compare it directly to Conroy.
I love Bale's Batman and Bruce voice. It would be great for future Batman films and PG-13 rated animated films, but not for kid's cartoons. Konroy will always be known as the best Batman animated voice!

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 27-10-2009 19:45
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I just read something from a news site 3news.co.nz that can be accessed through thebatsite.co.uk that Willem Defoe was Tim Burton's original choice for Joker in Batman 89 but he couldn't do it at the time...who knows if that would have happend maybe Batman 89 and TDK would have been closer in tone

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 27-10-2009 20:30
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Buckeye Bat wrote:
I just read something from a news site 3news.co.nz that can be accessed through thebatsite.co.uk that Willem Defoe was Tim Burton's original choice for Joker in Batman 89 but he couldn't do it at the time...who knows if that would have happend maybe Batman 89 and TDK would have been closer in tone

It wouldn't have effected the tone at all really. Nicholson himself wanted to do a much darker verison of the character, but the studio didn't want it.

And if you think Nicholson can't be scary, watch The Shining.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 28-10-2009 10:02
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

That being said Raz, if Nicholson had been able to do Joker the way he wanted would the critics and fans have seen TDK as a remake of Batman 89..just wondering

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 28-10-2009 15:17
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Buckeye Bat wrote:
That being said Raz, if Nicholson had been able to do Joker the way he wanted would the critics and fans have seen TDK as a remake of Batman 89..just wondering

Well, had Nicholson done a dark Joker, Heath's would still be massively differant. No matter what he's doing, Nicholson more or less plays himself. So his dark Joker wouldn't be all that differant from Jack in the Shining. Heath, on the other hand, completely transformed himself. So at the end of the day, Heath's would be no less amazing had they attempted a dark Joker before his.

As far as the over all plot, there were a lot of people who refered to TDK as a remake of 89 before the movie was released. But once they saw it, they realized the movies' structures are vastly differant. So even if both Jokers were dark, the plot would still keep the comparisons to a minimum

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 29-10-2009 13:44
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I guess you're right Raz but it is fun to speculate how different the Joker in 89 would have been had DeFoe gotten the part

RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 29-10-2009 16:41
User Avatar Erin Cobblepot
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I have nothing against Jack Nicholson but now that I have been informed that Tim Burton wanted Willem Defoe for the part in the first place, I wish Willem Defoe had dropped whatever he was doing and did the part. I absolutely love Willem Defoe.

Willem Defoe as the Joker would have been sexy. But then again...that would have ruined Danny Devito's sexyness in Batman Returns. So, it's a toss up. And I really wouldn't want that to over shadow Penguin in anyway shape or form.

.....!!!!!

HAHA!!! XD I'm such a dork!!

TDK vs. Batman '89 movie forum....FORGOT!!! XD LMAO!!!

HEATH LEDGER ROCKS!!! <3333

Hello Gotham. I'm Erin. Ozzy Cobblepot's Biggest Fan. Love you Pengy!

Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought we'd get this far.
Betcha never, never ever, betcha never thought you'd touch my heart.
Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought I'd surrender.
Betcha never thought you'd ever get with me.
I betcha never thought of that.
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 30-10-2009 16:45
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Erin you seem like a great person and are a wonderful imternet friend....but Danny Devito sexy as Penguin...what kind of drug are you on girl ...J/Kwink
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 30-10-2009 23:25
User Avatar Erin Cobblepot
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

@ Buckeye Bat:- You are the only person allowed to ask me those kinds of questions!! XD HAHA!!! LMAO! And I'm flattered that you consider me a friend despite the fact I'm head over feet for Oswald Cobblepot.

Drug? What drug? I get my meds from Dr. Crane. Crane's all like "Eeerrrinnn! Why'd you have to go and tell 'em that!" XD HAHAHA!!!

Just kidding of course ^ _ -

No, I seriously think Devito as Penguin is sexy. Hey! I think the version of Oswald Cobblepot in 2004's THE BATMAN is sexy. AND...the version from the '66 TV show ROCKS MY SOCKS!! <33333

BTW...my "Penguin ranting" I call that "Pengy-Mode", if you guys ever see me ranting.

Er....Thanks Buckeye Bat!! XD LOL!!

Hello Gotham. I'm Erin. Ozzy Cobblepot's Biggest Fan. Love you Pengy!

Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought we'd get this far.
Betcha never, never ever, betcha never thought you'd touch my heart.
Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought I'd surrender.
Betcha never thought you'd ever get with me.
I betcha never thought of that.
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 31-10-2009 15:20
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

As long as we're on the subject of alternate casting, Michelle Pfeiffer was considered for the role of Vicki Vale, but wasn't cast because Michael Keaton was dating her at the time and felt it would be ackward to preform with her.

See, I always thought Kim Basinger was the weakest actor/actress in the first film, so it's kinda sad to imagine how much better the Wayne/Vale relationship could have been done with a more capable actress like Pfeiffer.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 02-11-2009 11:30
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Raz I remember hearing where Sean Young had the Vickie Vale part all sown up but I think she broke her leg just before the beginning of filming and Bassinger was her replacement...that's probably why she seems the weak link.

RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 03-11-2009 16:02
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

It was Annette Bening that was cast for Catwoman

Bening was offered the role as Catwoman in Batman Returns (1992), but after she became pregnant, the role went to Michelle Pfeiffer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_Bening

Sean Young was originally cast as Vicki before being forced to bow out due to an injury from a horse-riding scene that was utimately deleted from the film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Vale

She was cast as Vicki Vale in Tim Burton's 1989 successful film Batman. During rehearsals, however, she broke her arm after falling off a horse and was replaced by Kim Basinger. In an unsuccessful attempt to win the role as Catwoman (which ultimately went to Michelle Pfeiffer) in the sequel Batman Returns, Young constructed a homemade Catwoman costume and attempted to confront Burton and actor Michael Keaton during production

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Young

RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 03-11-2009 17:54
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

FlaBat wrote:
It was Annette Bening that was cast for Catwoman

No one said Young was cast as Catwoman. We were talking about Vicki Vale.

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 03-11-2009 18:01
RE: Batman(1989) vs The Dark Knight - Posted on 03-11-2009 19:54
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Thanks for having my back Raz...IOU 1
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.