Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM THEATER | Past Batman Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 31-01-2010 23:06
User Avatar jaredpresley
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I don't remember if I saw the first one in the theaters (I would of been 4) but I was 7 when Returns hit theaters (Right around anyway)
I remember the Mcdonalds tie in, and my mom and dad were going to take me but something came up with work.
Anyway, My grandmother, who remembered seeing the Adam West series with her kids, took me and my brother. She hadn't seen the first one, and only knew of the West version.

Imagine her shock.

I covered my ears and eyes when Selina went crazy in her apartment.
My grandmother screamed when the Penguin bit the nose off that douchbag image consultant. She remembered the Penguin as being a gentleman. This penguin murders kids and eats raw fish. Not to mention, "has the biggest parasol that I've ever seen."

Oh man, I think she screamed when the Penguin popped out of the water, gushing that black Sh** out of his mouth. This certainly wasn't Burgess Meredith we were talking about here. Devito ran around in long undies.

I think that movie really messed me up lol. I still remmeber being freaked by the eyes of Shreck's corpse.
They would never be able to do that movie today, never. lol

I love it though, classic Burton.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 31-01-2010 23:09
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

yeah it traumatized me too. I couldn't watch it until I was ten without being reminded of the nightmares I had............... that movie gave me nightmares for like weeks O.O

Cody
Lfanmangator FinkaMinka93 Send Private Message
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 31-01-2010 23:52
User Avatar Erin Cobblepot
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I think I was three when it was in theaters because I turned Four in November the same year. I didn't see the movie in theaters though. I was like four or five when it came out on video like the year after.

My mom let my brother and I watch those movies. I saw the first one and thought the Joker was funny for some reason. Batman Returns was the movie I didn't remember actually. I only remembered Catwoman and that was it. Batman, Batman Forever & Batman Robin were the ones I saw like over a thousand times.

Back in 2008, I watched trailers for Returns and started to remember bits & pieces. Penguin was the only character I didn't remember being in the movie. So I bought the movie on DVD. My long term memory put it all in perspective for me.

You guys honestly thought the movie was traumatizing?

WHAT MOVIE WAS I WATCHING THEN??!!!

I wasn't traumatized when I was like four or five years old and I certainly wasn't traumatized two years ago when I watched it for the first time since I was like four or five.

I MUST BE FREAKING INSANE....MADLY INSANE.

I thought Penguin was the only awesome character in the ENTIRE movie.

JEEZ...GOOD GOD...I AM LITERALLY MESSED UP...FREAKING MESSED UP IN THE HEAD.

You guys must think I am a total nut job. I AM A FREAKING NUT JOB. Wow...I am SO freaking messed up. You know what? I am a sad excuse for a freaking human being. I must be the only person who thought Batman Returns was a good movie.

I SHOULD BE LOCKED UP.

Wow....just freaking wow...>.<

I apologize. I am a freaking sad excuse for a human being.

I really am.

Hello Gotham. I'm Erin. Ozzy Cobblepot's Biggest Fan. Love you Pengy!

Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought we'd get this far.
Betcha never, never ever, betcha never thought you'd touch my heart.
Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought I'd surrender.
Betcha never thought you'd ever get with me.
I betcha never thought of that.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 10:28
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

No you aren't Erin, different things scare different people while it doesn't bother other...When I was about 5 or 6 (in the early 70s, yes that makes me in my early 40s) Lincoln-Mercury had commercial with a cougar in them that roared at the end and when one of those came on I closed my eyes and covered my ears because I was worried it would get me...I too was expect a TV like Penguin and was a bit disturbed by Burton's version but I also could see his point being physically challenged myself I knd of knew where he was coming from....so NO Erin it's not you.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 10:46
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I feel OLD!
I was in high school when it came out and remember looking forward to it and enjoying it when it came out.
It's still one of my favorites and a "must" to watch on Christmas Eve (along with The Nightmare Before Christmas, another Tim Burton movie).

Sum Nox!
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 11:26
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

You're not old Tartan..your early middle age and besides live by the saying that I do:

IT'S BETTER TO BE ONE YEAR OLDER THAN SIX FEET UNDER
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 14:13
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

I first saw Batman Returns when I was about 4 years old and I turned out ok...

Now exuse me, I'm gonna go eat some raw fish.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 14:24
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

@Raz: - I'll join you!!

RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 16:39
User Avatar jaredpresley
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Ha Ha, well, I wasn't totally scared all the way through. Maybe scared is the wrong word, maybe disturbed or freaked would be better. I mean, I enjoyed the movie, it's just a total contrast of what I was used to. I kid you not, we saw some reruns on the Batman 60's TV series beforehand.

I think the biggest shock was to my grandmother, who had only seen the TV series beforehand. She, to my knowledge, didn't really see any ads or promotion. Ha Ha, I just think that's funny. I wonder if Adam West ever saw the movie?

Erin, maybe you don't remember BR because it scared you so bad, lol just kidding.

Back to the "That's the biggest parasol I've ever seen" line, I think it explains a lot of things about the Penguin's 60+ year run.
I mean umbrellas, they really are a extention of him. The Penguin carrys and uses umbrellas as a weapon because he (subconsciously) views it as a literal extenion of himself. He always likes to show his umbrellas off, esp when a lady is nearby. (Watch the movie again with that in mind and you'll see what I mean.)

Could he really view his umbrella as compensation for his Bad Word Here!? The end's always pop out a knife (ouch) or shoot bullets, or lol fire (How ironic)
This might of all started when he was found as a child in the sewer by the Circus. Remember, as a kid, he would of grown out of his baby clothes, he was in the nude.

Perhaps the Poodle Lady discovered him, and remarked about his Parasol size. (Maybe it is big, another deformity he has) From that moment forward, he had a fixation with umbrellas. Why else would he use umbrellas in the manner he does?

I know, it's probably a little too literal in interpretation of The Penguin's umbrella obsession from a Freudian perspective
Edited by jaredpresley on 01-02-2010 19:04
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 20:36
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

eek2

@ Jared:-

Me being a girl + Me being in love with the Penguin + all the things you just said + my mind being slightly OVER IMAGINATIVE =

Me NOT commenting on ANYTHING you just said!! XDD LOL!!

My mind doesn't need anymore IMAGES of what you just described. I can do THAT on my own, thanks. XD HAHAHA!!!

Anyway, I think the reason I didn't remember Batman Returns was because I only saw it once. Unlike the other movies, which I saw over and over again when I was a kid.

Anyone besides me think the people of Gotham City had it coming??

Everyone in Gotham is just so freaking annoying. I'd have helped Penguin the whole time. I don't care what his plan was but oh my god, I wanted to punch Christopher Walken's character so hard, he wouldn't be able to move.

I was watching the movie once and I started swearing at Batman to leave Penguin alone. I was mad at the ending too.

Who decided to let Catwoman live? She didn't do anything through the entire movie but go nutso on everyone she ran into.

HERE'S WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED:

I'd have rescued Penguin from falling into the swear water, so that he didn't choke on that black stuff. I'd do it to...CPR PEOPLE and you wouldn't have to pay me to give him mouth to mouth.

And then I'd have grabbed the umbrella that shoots bullets and killed Catwoman. Then I'd have killed Christopher Walken's character. After that, I'd have taken Penguin back to my place and hide him from Batman.

And if Batman tried to come after us, I'd have given him a good piece of my mind and boy let me tell you, if he got within a foot of Penguin, I'd have kicked him so hard, he wouldn't be able to move for a week.

And then the movie would end with me & Pengy.

HAPPY ENDING!!

XD I am so insane...it's scary!

RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 21:33
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

If you'll excuse me I'm going to raid the family liquor cabinet and TRY to drink those images out of my mind...But before I do can anyone tell me what was the inspiration for The Penguin
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 21:34
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

@jaredpresley: That whole analysis just reminded me of this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Batman287.JPG

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Tim Burton may have been thinking along those same lines when he made BR.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 22:40
User Avatar jaredpresley
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

@ Buckeye Bat

I believe Kane (so he claims, could of been Finger) saw the old cigarette commericals and drawing ads of the advertising mascot of Kool cigarettes.

@ Erin

Watch out, he might try out his "fench flipper trick" on you. Or maybe, he'll try to "fill the void." or try to put a campaign button on a risque part of the body.
Despite his circumstances, he was pretty nasty. He was going to drown innocent children. I don't think the citizends deserved it, maybe his parents if they weren't dead.
That is a good observation though, what if Batman left him alone? If he really became mayor, do you think he would of not felt so rejected, and perhaps maybe dropped the "list" plan? I don't think so. Burton kept showing how he still kept the lists by his side all through the campaign.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 01-02-2010 23:51
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Again, keeping my mouth shut to keep the peace & not disturb anyone...

(Batman: "UNFORTUNATELY THIS WAS SAID NEXT"...)

And has it ever occurred to you that if Penguin tried anything on me I might...(to keep this comment PG rated.)...LIKE it.

(Batman: "She really had to say THAT didn't she? Now I'm gonna have nightmares. Thanks Erin. Thanks a lot!)

And I should correct you on that SO-CALLED "Campaign"....

The whole Mayor thing was that so Max Shrek would look good in the eyes of the citizens and so he could get that power source or whatever it was he wanted at the beginning of the movie.

Penguin just went along with it. He didn't REALLY care. It was just for fun, in a way. Batman had to ruin the whole thing though when he recorded Penguin's statement back to Gotham's citizens when Penguin was making another speech. And Max Shrek just stood there and did nothing, letting Penguin get hit with a whole punch of food products. I think some of those people threw lettuce or something at him.

I wouldn't have let my Pengy stand there and take that either. I'd have started hurling eggs back at the stupid people. Not just any eggs either...the Large 12 Dozen pack from the super market. Four boxes of those eggs and those people wished they'd never messed with him.

RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 02-02-2010 02:05
User Avatar jaredpresley
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Erin Cobblepot wrote:

Again, keeping my mouth shut to keep the peace & not disturb anyone...

(Batman: "UNFORTUNATELY THIS WAS SAID NEXT"...)

And has it ever occurred to you that if Penguin tried anything on me I might...(to keep this comment PG rated.)...LIKE it.

(Batman: "She really had to say THAT didn't she? Now I'm gonna have nightmares. Thanks Erin. Thanks a lot!)

And I should correct you on that SO-CALLED "Campaign"....

The whole Mayor thing was that so Max Shrek would look good in the eyes of the citizens and so he could get that power source or whatever it was he wanted at the beginning of the movie.

Penguin just went along with it. He didn't REALLY care. It was just for fun, in a way. Batman had to ruin the whole thing though when he recorded Penguin's statement back to Gotham's citizens when Penguin was making another speech. And Max Shrek just stood there and did nothing, letting Penguin get hit with a whole punch of food products. I think some of those people threw lettuce or something at him.

I wouldn't have let my Pengy stand there and take that either. I'd have started hurling eggs back at the stupid people. Not just any eggs either...the Large 12 Dozen pack from the super market. Four boxes of those eggs and those people wished they'd never messed with him.

Max just wanted him to be mayor so he would allow his power plant. Penguin, if you remmeber, wanted to be mayor to get "poon tang" (Not a exaggeration, it was the key phrase Shreck said that made the Penguin agree) Too bad he didn't get to be mayor, there were some hot chicks. I wonder if he'd of actually been able to sleep with any of them? Actually, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Really, if anyone was tramatized from this film, it was Rhea Perlman. She might of had nightmares of her kissing Danny, blinking, and then seeing The Penguin, with all that black gook coming from his mouth, lol.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 02-02-2010 10:41
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

No offense to half the woman in Gotham City...but they're airheads. Makes me so glad I'm a red head with high self esteem. And that I don't have to be some brainwashed idiot with blond hair.

FYI, I'd offer Penguin "poon tang" and trust me, it's a WIN-WIN situation for both of us.

I've completely noticed with ANY version of the Penguin, he doesn't have to do much of anything to gain my attention. He just gets my attention freely.

EPIC WIN!! XD LOL!!

Anyway, yeah, poor Rhea Perlman. lol.

Actually, there was one thing about the movie that made me slightly uneasy, since I am around children and I believe parents should love their children and such...

watching Oswald's parents dump him in the river that led to the sewer, made me very hateful of parents who are stupid enough to drown their own kids or kill them or whatever because they either hated their kids, were high on drugs or whatever their stupid reason was.

I almost wanted to stand up in front of Gotham's citizens and make a speech about what kind of people would try to get rid of their own child just because he was different. And that nobody, not even Oswald, deserved that. And that it isn't fair in the least.

I am an understanding and sympathetic person. I can understand where Oswald was coming from with his plans to get rid of some of Gotham's children. I don't promote that kind of violence but can you possibly imagine when he found out what his parents tried to do, how he felt. His emotional confusement on top of complete hatred about being tossed aside by two people who were supposed to love him.

Well, I CARE. That's for sure. And I sympathize with his feelings. He didn't deserve any of that. When he makes that speech to Shrek at the beginning of the movie, about "wanting to find out his human name, find his parents. The simple stuff that the people of Gotham take for granted".

I was literally trying not to cry because I could feel where he was coming from. I felt so bad. I was sitting there wanting to help him.

And I feel that way every time I watch the movie. You guys probably think I am a bit of a softy.

and you're probably right.

RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 02-02-2010 11:37
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I think that the whole thing with the Cobblepot family is that they were the rich, "perfect" family and because he was a physical freak they didn't want him, which is why he did to the other rich families of Gotham...He made them think about their children and if they really loved their children or had them because society thought they should.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 02-02-2010 16:33
User Avatar jaredpresley
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

@ Erin, I've heard a lot of discussion if he really knew who he was before or after going to the Hall of Records. If so, I assumed he found himself with the paper with the weird webbed handprint on it.
You may not like the ending, but it's a tragety movie. The Penguin, the ultimate reject, was abandoned, and had the company of the circus, but could not let go of past abandonment issues. He probably detested being a sideshow freak.
The mayor plot was useful. We see him with acceptence right within his grasp, taken away from him. Right afterwards, he really starts going crazy. By the end, all have abandonded him, save for the Emperor Penguins. EPIC FAIL. Not to mention, he died a 33 year old virgin. TMI I know lol.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 05-02-2010 13:04
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Jared if you remember, Penguin went to the Hall of Records before the Mayor subplot...he probably kept the names of the rich people for contributions and when the Mayor thing went haywire he used those names because he also knew that if their children were kidnapped he could ask for millions in ransom.
RE: Batman Returns Traumatized me as a Kid - Posted on 05-02-2010 13:44
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

What happened was that Penguin knew who his parents were from the start, he just used the sad "I don't know who my parents are" story to gain access to the private records of every first born son in Gotham without suspicion. His plan from the start was to abduct them like he does toward the end of the film, but when Shreck gave him a chance to be mayor and he became a media darling he abandoned his plans because he loved the lime-light.

Then of course the whole mayor thing went to hell and he went back his original plans.

R.I.P. Heath
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.