Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOY MUSEUM | Batman Action Figures & Dolls

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Animated Series Figure Question - Posted on 27-10-2009 22:59
User Avatar Stormtrooper53
Gothams Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Hi there,

I'm working on my Batman figure collection, and right now I want to concentrate on figures from the several animated Batman shows. However, I know relatively little about each of the lines, so I'm wondering, can someone tell me what is/are generally considered the "definitive" Batman figure(s) from each series? For example, from what I can tell, Combat Belt Batman is the definitive Batman from The Animated Series line (at least I hope so, cuz this is the one I bought.) I'm also open to suggestions from other lines (for instance, I know that there are several decent The Batman-style figures in the Shadow EXP line. Here are the series I'm wondering about...

The New Batman Adventures
Batman Beyond (the Bruce Wayne figure if there is one)
The Batman

Thanks anyone and everyone for their input!
RE: Animated Series Figure Question - Posted on 28-10-2009 16:29
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

The Definitive Batman Figure

It’s all but impossible to determine which is the most definitive Batman figure, but I complied a list of some of the best figures ever made. I did not include DC Direct and I did not include figures smaller than 5 inches or larger than 7 inches. The list is Kenner/Hasbro and Mattel and features mostly mass retail figures with some exclusives that are worth noting as well. I also limited the list to animated and comic style and left film figures off the list.

Animated TV Series

Batman
Super Powers Collection (Series 1)
The original and still one of the best of the modern age of Batman action figures.

Combat Belt Batman
Batman The Animated Series
The best BTAS figure ever

Detective Batman
The New Batman Adventures
A great example of TNBA style figure.

Batman (Dark Gray / Black
BATMAN vs. Joker (2 Pack)
Mattel’s version of TNBA Batman. I like the way the cloth cape drapes over the shoulders, much more so than the Kenner/Hasbro one.

Battle Scars Batman
Battle Scars Batman vs. Catwoman
A nice battle damaged version

Gotham Knight Batman
Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker
The original version was translucent blue, nit black like the TV show, this version corrected that.

Triple Shot Batman
The Batman (Series 3)
They removed the Batarang Launcher and made the definitive The Batman version

Shadowrang Batman
The Batman ShadowTek (Series 1)
It looks like Triple Shot Batman but it ha a slightly new squared off jaw line on the head sculpt.

Batman
Justice League
An all black suit version of the standard JL Batman figure

Batman
DC Universe Justice League Unlimited
A nice “Super Friends” style JL Batman

Batman
DC Universe Justice League Unlimited
This medium gray / blue version is available in 3 packs and singles, this single came with Wonder Pig

Comic Book

Crusader Batman
Legends Of Batman
A good basic figure but the sweeping cape and the odd bends in the arms make for a less than stellar figure.

BATMAN: The Dark Knight (Gray / Blue)
Legends of the Dark Knight
Long ears and a huge upswept cape make this one of the more iconic Batman action figures

Dark Knight Detective (All Black)
Legends of the Dark Knight
An all black version of the above figure that was a Hasbro Internet Store exclusive.

Batman
DC Super Heroes (Gray / Blue)

Batman
Batman vs. The Joker Endless Duel
Only slightly darker colors of the above figure in one of the best Batman Joker sets ever.

Batman
DC Super Heroes 4 Pack
A Dark Gray / Black version with a cloth cape came in a Toys R Us exclusive 4 pack that is hard to find.

Zipline Batman
Batman (Series 1)
The Batman figure by which all others have been judged. This is the iconic Batman as sculpted by The Four Horsemen

Batman
Batman & Superman (Series 1)
The Comic Book Store version of this set had Zipline Batman, the Mass Retail version had this Gray / Blue repaint of Battle Armor Batman

Batman
2003 SDCC Exclusive BATMAN
A repaint of Zipline Batman in classic Gray and Blue with some proper sized accessories.

Batman Unmasking
2004 SDCC Exclusive BATMAN
Another reuse of Zipline Batman with new arms and new head sculpt of the mask coming off. There were also two versions of the figure with the mask off, a regular one and the rare “battle damaged” version.

Bat Signal Batman
Batman Series 6
The last wave of figures sent overseas. This figure sported new articulation and came with a must have Bat Signal

Batman
DC Super Heroes: (Series 1)
This was a slightly modified Bat Signal Batman. Unfortunately, the first figures had blue knee pins that were later replaced by the correct gray ones.

Batman
DC Super Heroes: (Series 3 S3 Select Sculpt)
An all new Batman figure with even more articulation.

Batman
DC Super Heroes: (Series 8)
A more traditional Gray/Black version of the above figure in the final wave of this series.

Classic Detective BATMAN
Crime Stopper BATMAN
DC Universe Classics Wave 1 Figure 2
An all new Batman based on a slightly retooled version of the DCSH figure

Batman
Fists Of Clay Figure Pack: Batman Vs. Clayface

Batman
DC Universe Classics: Gotham City 5 (5 Pack)

Gray / Black repaints of Classic Detective / Crime Stopper Batman. The Fists Of Clay version has mud splatters from Clayface with the Gotham City 5 version is clean.

Batman
DC Universe Classics Wave 10
An all black version of the same figure.

Edited by FlaBat on 28-10-2009 20:45
RE: Animated Series Figure Question - Posted on 28-10-2009 20:52
User Avatar Stormtrooper53
Gothams Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Oh, wow...this is PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for!
RE: Animated Series Figure Question - Posted on 01-11-2009 13:51
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

FlaBat missed a major one. No collection is complete without Radar Scope Batman. So exclusive only Wal Mart could carry him...

FlaBat's got a very nice list there. But if you wanted to go even further beyond animated, we haven't even touched on DC Direct. In that realm, you'd have Hush Series 1 Batman, Justice Series 2 Batman (Alex Ross likeness), 1st Appearance Batman, and Superman/Batman Batman (Ed McGuinness likeness). There are many others of course, but mainly comic book related.

Personally, as far as Batman Beyond is concerned, I like Power Cape Batman; although, he was very hard to find back when they were in stores. 200th Edition Batman is great too but obviously more statuesque and stiff. And for BTAS, though he's not essential, I always had a fondness for Retro Batman.

An aged Bruce Wayne was never made for Batman Beyond which is very disappointing. I've seen just a few customs that people have made, and I made one myself that I think turned out decent (click here for a shoddy old photo). It's just near impossible to give him a hunched back. I starting making a second one to sell on eBay but never finished it.

Edited by Caleson on 01-11-2009 13:53
Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.