Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Batman Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to new view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author Summer 2008 Possible Batman Comic Event SPOILERS
Darknight

Webmaster

Medal 
Dark Knight

Posted on 06-11-2007 09:41
Rich Johnston's Lying in the Gutters (Warning: spoilers at link) column is occassionally right, but sometimes the rumors prove to be false.

This one, if true, is pretty vital to Batman.

SPOILERS AHEAD
THE DEATH OF A BAT

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

And what of Batwoman? Well, I'm told the launch of the Rucka/Williams series has been pushed back yet again because of the movie, and fears of "unacceptable media coverage." I'm told four issues are fully completed.

Apparently it's okay for Batman to be dead, and a new character take his place when there's a movie out. But not for Batwoman to be a lesbian. At least wait till it's gone to DVD for that brunette bombshell.

I'm reminded of the Warner Bros executive instruction to Grant Morrison and Dave McKean over "Arkham Asylum," that the Joker not be seen dressing up as Madonna in case the cinema audience believed that meant Jack Nicholson was a transvestite.

Click the link above

Let the declarations of never reading Batman comics begin.

I am, personally, intrigued. This could end up being just a fake rumor to get things started to bring the interest in the upcoming movie over to the comics, but based on the timing of the death to coincide with the release of Dark Knight, this has pretty good potential to be true. Time will tell.

SGFin99 Send Private Message
Author RE: Summer 2008 Possible Batman Comic Event SPOILERS
Batman_Freak

Gotham Civilian

Posted on 06-11-2007 10:19
that sucks...Batman dies? thats like impossoble....I dont like that....Dc is getting a little awway from me now. And they cant bring back a human, so hes dead for sure....im disipointed...

<----Cool Batman
Tartan Jack

Medal 
Blue Collared Worker

Posted on 06-11-2007 10:23
They wouldn't . . .

Would they?

At LEAST I have BTAS on DVD.

Sum Nox!
kpangilinan

W. Indust. Employee

Posted on 06-11-2007 11:51
Batman_Freak wrote:
that sucks...Batman dies? thats like impossoble....I dont like that....Dc is getting a little awway from me now. And they cant bring back a human, so hes dead for sure....im disipointed...

Does Jason Tood ring a bell? He's human and he was brought back to life.
Darknight

Webmaster

Medal 
Dark Knight

Posted on 06-11-2007 12:13
kpangilinan wrote:Does Jason Tood ring a bell? He's human and he was brought back to life.

Good point, but I am hoping that they don't rehash the Superboy/man-Prime wall punching thing again that fast. There're a dozen different ways that people can be brought back. Green Arrow (Oliver Queen), Flash (Wally West), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Donna Troy have all had unque return stories that were pretty decent. With the exception of Donna Troy, they are all mortal humans.

You have to deviate into the more sci-fi/fantasy Batman stories, but if you can accept Ra's al Ghul's immortality then you shouldn't have to make too much of a leap.

Dick G

Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Posted on 06-11-2007 12:56
they could not kill batman kill off someone else like one of the green lanterns batman is origanal he could not be killed and if he is it will be a sad day for all batman fanssad(
Razhwurz

Admin

Caped Crusader

Posted on 06-11-2007 15:14
Are they really that desperate for publicity? I mean in the DC universe there is one constant... Batman is alive. But lately they've been obsessed with him dying. He the symbol for the unbreakable human spirit! Killing is metaphorically killing all human beings. What happened to the writers who grasp the concepts of the characters they are writing for?!

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Chris

Webmaster

Medal 
Dark Knight

Posted on 06-11-2007 16:35
I think Bruce Wayne is the only MAIN Charactrer that has never died. And personally. I think it's a stupid idea. Now I can see maybe people think he's dead. Maybe his plane goes down, or a building blows up. But to mess with the character at the same time the movie is coiming out.. thats stupid.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
real-dark-knight

Admin

Medal 
Caped Crusader

Posted on 06-11-2007 17:20
Razhwurz wrote:
Are they really that desperate for publicity? I mean in the DC universe there is one constant... Batman is alive. But lately they've been obsessed with him dying. He the symbol for the unbreakable human spirit! Killing is metaphorically killing all human beings. What happened to the writers who grasp the concepts of the characters they are writing for?!

I hope this is rubbish too. I really do. I don't think some sort of Joker getting a bullet in the face type thing (recent Morrison story), or a Green Arrow & Black Canary Wedding Special (GA killed but it turns out he's being impersonated by shape shifter) is out of the question - but the idea that he could die is just stupid.

BatSymbol2
Edited by real-dark-knight on 06-11-2007 17:23
Message Send Private Message
BigDaddy Gotham

Arkham Inmate

Posted on 07-11-2007 00:17
this is big enough news to even bring me outta hiding lol.

wow i really hope this isnt true, maybe like Chris said, they can do soemthing where he is presumed dead and we actually have one of the robins take over for him for a lengthy period of time only to have bruce return down the line. however to actually kill the one guy who is a mere mortal (ok maybe not so mere) among a bunch of heroes who are from other planets and have superpowers is just plain dumb.

heres hoping the rumor is false.
-BDG

Razhwurz

Admin

Caped Crusader

Posted on 07-11-2007 02:35
There's two signs of the apocolypse. Batman's dying and BigDaddy Gotham's posting here again. j/k

Anyway... I want to go into another tirade about this... But I shall refrain from doing so. lol Ok. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

But lets just say the threats of never reading a DC comic again aren't that far-fetched for me. I mean usually I find it anoying when people say that... But it's just not right to kill Batman; I just can't have any faith in a production team that decides to discard the symbolism of a character just for publicity.

And I'm not so sure he'd stay dead for long. There would be a massive up roar against it and they eventually would have to bring him back to keep reader faith... Even then, I'd probably wait a while to pick up a book by this team.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 07-11-2007 02:36
Chris

Webmaster

Medal 
Dark Knight

Posted on 13-11-2007 04:34
Well now.. it's getting worse...

Last week's rumour about Batman kicking the Batbucket to be replaced by a sidekick is kicking up steam. As Valerie D'Orazio picks up on, the original plan was for all the main DC icons to die and be elevated to the status of New Gods as part of the Fifth World, their sidekicks filling the roles they left behind.

However, that plan was abandoned internally at DC and reduced to a Bat-storyline by Grant Morrison. So look for Bruce Wayne New God to go head-to-head with Darkseid in "Final Crisis."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
Batman_Freak

Gotham Civilian

Posted on 13-11-2007 07:58
so Darksied beats the crap out of Batman and he dies?? Thats lame, Bane could rip Batman in half if he wanted, but he likes to se suffering. And darksied is just not the right villan if he does die.

<----Cool Batman
matt the bat webb

Blue Collared Worker

Posted on 13-11-2007 08:47
this better be false omg! no!!!!!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!! he cant be killed dfaklfk awww im so just ehhhhhhhhhhhhh ill never read a comic again if this happens!

the greatest victorys are won with your mind, then your body
randommattwebb Send Private Message
BatKreep

Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Posted on 13-11-2007 16:25
worst idea EVER! i honestly hope this is al B.S. or if it is true i hope the powers that be come to their senses and stop all nonsense before it comes out.mad
batkreep Send Private Message
matt the bat webb

Blue Collared Worker

Posted on 15-11-2007 08:30
has anyone heard anything new on this? cause im bout to start a petition if its true, but id need 2 know it was true first.

the greatest victorys are won with your mind, then your body
randommattwebb Send Private Message
Nate

City Hall Board Member

Posted on 15-11-2007 10:44
I doubt this is true. Why? Because we've heard this before, well similar. Back during when Infinite Crisis was running, it was rumored and highly thought that Connor would be the new Superman, Dick would be the new Batman, and Donna would be the new Wonder Woman. And as OYL started, all that never happened (except for the Donna/WW, but that wasn't suppose to last to begin with).

So I doubt it, but you know what? DC would never do anything like that because of how much the Big Three means to alot of people, and their business. So don't really believe it for a second.

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
Darknight

Webmaster

Medal 
Dark Knight

Posted on 15-11-2007 11:29
matt the bat webb wrote:
has anyone heard anything new on this? cause im bout to start a petition if its true, but id need 2 know it was true first.

Rich Johnston's column (the source that has been quoted earlier) is scaled on how possible he thinks it is.

All stories are sourced from well-connected individuals. The veracity of each story is judged by me and given a spotlight - Green is the most reliable, Amber means there's likely an interest involved or the likelihood isn't set and Red means even I can't quite bring myself to believe it.

Both Batman stories have been Amber (yellow), so it is not fully reliable. So we don't need to be gathering to storm the DC offices in New York or anything.

As far as the rumor before Infinite Crisis not coming true debunking this one, there have been several times that the editorial delayed something happening to a character so that it would have a bigger impact. I don't think that they had planned on doing Final Crisis when Infinite Crisis was written. My understanding is that they saw what a big story they had, and began to move towards the Final Crisis.

The decision to kill Batman could have simply been postponed to be during the larger event.

Don't let Batman's popularity or history make you feel like he is safe either. Robin, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Shazam, and Wonder Woman have all been around since the Golden Age and yet have died/gone evil/disappeared/significantly changed.

I'm not defending the killing of Bruce Wayne. I feel that he has plenty of stories left to tell. I just hate that people would let that take them away from comics. Have faith that the comic creators will handle the stories well and make something that will be worth reading.

If they screw it up and it is not any good they'll just undo it with another story.

The Riddler

Admin

Medal 
Caped Crusader

Posted on 19-11-2007 21:26
The Rumor has been confirmed...

The Rumor first started off with this as Darknight posted:
THE DEATH OF A BAT

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

And what of Batwoman? Well, I'm told the launch of the Rucka/Williams series has been pushed back yet again because of the movie, and fears of "unacceptable media coverage." I'm told four issues are fully completed.

Apparently it's okay for Batman to be dead, and a new character take his place when there's a movie out. But not for Batwoman to be a lesbian. At least wait till it's gone to DVD for that brunette bombshell.

I'm reminded of the Warner Bros executive instruction to Grant Morrison and Dave McKean over "Arkham Asylum," that the Joker not be seen dressing up as Madonna in case the cinema audience believed that meant Jack Nicholson was a transvestite.

Then Today or yesterday this came up:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2923
THINGS TO DO IN GOTHAM WHEN YOU'RE DEAD

Last week's rumour about Batman kicking the Batbucket to be replaced by a sidekick is kicking up steam. As Valerie D'Orazio picks up on, the original plan was for all the main DC icons to die and be elevated to the status of New Gods as part of the Fifth World, their sidekicks filling the roles they left behind.

However, that plan was abandoned internally at DC and reduced to a Bat-storyline by Grant Morrison. So look for Bruce Wayne New God to go head-to-head with Darkseid in "Final Crisis."

AND now as i checked the Rumor it was/is confirmed:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg
BAT PROMOTION

The last two LITG columns... this one and this one, have covered the death of Bruce Wayne, his ascendancy as a Fifth World New God, and his replacement here on Earth.

I can now tell you that the new Batman will be designed by Alex Ross and will see Jason Todd under the cowl.

Poor Dick Grayson. Don't you hate it when someone junior to you is promoted above your head?

This is all part of a cross-continuity, longform story by Grant Morrison and in terms of structure bears similarity to his “New X-Men,” but on a far wider scale. It sounds rather good.

what i dont understand is why kill someone who doesnt need to die, there are some characters you just DONT kill. Also if you click the last URL i gave (the one about the confirmation) and scroll down to the next Rumor, it says something about The Final Crisis and "heroes die, ledgends live forever" and it says somthing about the Batman of Earth-2 our batman is earth prime right?.....

Alfred- Why do we fall Sir?.........So we can
learn to pick ourselves up.

Bruce- You still havent givin up on me.

Alfred- Nevah!
Edited by The Riddler on 19-11-2007 21:28
Nate

City Hall Board Member

Posted on 19-11-2007 21:38
Umm, at Wizard World Texas last weekend, Didio said that no one (Big Three) will become New Gods. Since Bruce Wayne's death was part of the Bruce as a New God rumor, this whole Bruce Wayne thing has been debunked.

So let's end this NOW, please.

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.