Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Batman Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 24-01-2008 12:52
User Avatar RCoehrs
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

It's Truly a credit to the writing forces behind Batman over the years that so many villains have not only been created but have also stuck around so long. But then again not all I feel should have that right, So I ask you what Batman Villain is the most overrated..

My pick should get some heat lol, I choose Mr Raja Ghul [Well I use to be able to remmeber to spell that.]
-His methods never really impressed me anywhere near to call him a equal of the bat no matter how hard they try to get that across.

-His Daughter is an unneeded copy of catwoman with just another obsession.

-His reason for being as in his plot for gotham and the world are intriguing but never done to any quality that other villains have seen.

-The sword obvious sword fights in about all his issues are yawn inducing now.

Wel I have p,enty more but now I wanna hear from you, Agree? got a better villain not worth the tinme of day for batsy? Post!joker

ThE JoKe Is On YoU
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 24-01-2008 17:36
User Avatar coryajones
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I think ra's al ghul is a decent villian, but actually i think that is primarily because of talia, her and batman's relationship tying in with the batlle between ra's al ghul and batman is another interesting story arc, although i do agree catwoman serves just about the same purpose, however i would have to say the most overrated villian is the penguin, up until batman returns he was just obnoxious and i never thought he was that great, batman returns made him a terrific villian but to date that is the only incarnation in witch the penguin had any value to me, so he still gets my vote.Cat3

Never Rub Another Man's Rhubarb! hehehehahaha!
JONESLODI acidilith Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 24-01-2008 18:44
User Avatar munkynut
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I would hafto go with someone like The Mad Hatter or Scarface. Either one of those it seems to me, you beat them once you can bet them over and over again. My thinking is what they do is going to be a rehash everytime. Although I'm really only basing my oppition on the cartoon villians. The Classic comic villians I really couldn't even fathom placing any one of them on an "Overated" villian list.
munkynut72 Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 24-01-2008 19:54
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I have to disagree about Ras Al Ghul, I think he is one of the more interesting villains and certainly one of the smartest.

I disagree about The Penguin too. He’s not has flashy as the The Joker or as clever as The Riddler, but as a socialite outcast who targeted the rich in a way to get even he seemed to fit a nice niche.

My fist thought about who was overrated was Anarky, but I think he was only around for two issues.

Then I thought about The Creeper as I could do without him too.

RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 24-01-2008 20:06
User Avatar stejam13
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

yeah my vote goes for batmite! i hate the little buggerBYTBMad
RE: The lamist... - Posted on 24-01-2008 21:52
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

The Joker with Loki's Mask...

This made the Joker less of his
character and more of a
Batman V'S The Mask story...

It just did'nt work for me...
jokerno

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 25-01-2008 07:58
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I may be alone in this, BUT . . .
Of the "MAIN" villains, I would say Penguin and Riddler.
WHY?
Penguin: The film gave him SOME depth, but that didn't carry out well past it. The "social outcast" element was played up in B:TAS and The Batman, which gave him SOME depth.
Yet, in the end, he is just a short guy in a tux. All the rest is an excuse to keep him around and looking for a reason to exist.
Riddler: B:TAS shows the weakness of the character. In commentaries, they say they there were more unfinished Riddler stories than anyone else. The problem is that you need to differentiate Riddler from Joker, which is not always well done. THE counter to that is Frank's version in the 1966 Batman series. THAT is the main "lasting" Riddler characterization. B:TAS made him more cerebral, which worked.

Now, this is for "overrated," not "Bad." So, it is one that gets more coverage and acknowledgment than they probably should.

Man-Bat is another that CAN be overrated. It is a good "short use" character, which provides a REALLY good story or 2, but has difficulty keeping it going for many more without getting odd of rehashing.
Ras has depth, but just isn't one of my favorites. That is personal opinion.
I would put NEITHER as the MOST overrated simply because (before BBegins, anyway) FEW outside the more loyal fans remembered EITHER, despite their use in B:TAS. Most casual fans wouldn't recognize either the character or the name.

There are other's I think get overrated, but also are almost UNKNOWN outside the comic-book faithful. SO, I couldn't categorize them as "most overrated."

Sum Nox!
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 21-02-2008 12:16
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

FlaBat wrote:
My fist thought about who was overrated was Anarky, but I think he was only around for two issues.
Actually, Anarky's been around a while. He debuted in 1989 and appeared as recently as No Man's Land. My introduction to him was a Shadow of the Bat issue in the mid '90s. Judging by the strange costume, I assumed he was a woman. I was more into the art than story at that young age, so I didn't realize his gender 'till many years later.

Anarky's Character Profile

As for overrated characters, Black Mask comes to mind, but I actually like him. I guess I was just so surprised the major push he got during the War Games saga. But it gets bland using the same top-card characters for major stories, and I liked how he was put over. Some oddballs that also come to mind are Ventriloquist & Scareface and Mad Hatter.

Edited by Caleson on 21-02-2008 12:35
Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 21-02-2008 14:57
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

I'd say good ol' Penguin is overrated. He's a short ugly dude who waddles about and commits bird themed crimes, and unless I'm mistaken he really hasn't done anything important since the 70s... I think they tried to gangsterify him but I don't think it worked...

I'd also say Catwoman is kinda overrated as a villian... When she's a villian she can't really be more than a neusance cause she's just a cat burgaler. Of course when she's caught in the middle of something bigger she is an absolutley amazing character, but as a main villian she kinda has trouble holding up a story on her own.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 21-02-2008 15:38
User Avatar Phil
Vigilante

Awards:
Medal 

i don't know, i'd say outside of the comic fan community, people will only think of joker as batman's greatest villain...and he pretty much is.

http://batmanytb.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=4
Ph1L Cho Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 21-02-2008 17:53
User Avatar matt the bat webb
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

well i think the most over rated batman villan is by far mr freeze i dont like the guy and i havent followd him in a while but if hes still trying to cure his wife bruce could do that and be done with him. is he dead?

the greatest victorys are won with your mind, then your body
randommattwebb Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 03-10-2008 12:10
User Avatar Conrad Veidt
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I agree that Penguin and Riddler are over-rated.

R'as is one of my favourites I find he's just not well written enough most of the time. RCoehrs is right about all those tedious swordfights too. I'd love to see him reinvigorated, he's essentially such a fantastic character.

This guy goes into the hospital, okay?...
His wife's just had a baby and he can't wait to see them both.
So he meets the doctor and he says, "Oh, Doc, I've been so worried. How are they?"
And the Doctor smiles and says, "They're fine, just fine. Your wife's delivered a healthy baby boy and they're both in tip-top form.
"You're one lucky guy."
So the guy rushes into the maternity ward with his flowers.
But it's empty.
His wife's bed is empty.
"Doc?" he says and turns around and the doctor and all the nurses wave their arms and scream in his face.

"APRIL FOOL! YOU'RE WIFE'S DEAD AND THE BABY'S A SPASTIC!!"
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 27-10-2008 23:11
User Avatar Mittens2317
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal 

He has a lot of overrated enemies. Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, but the worst culprit of them all is Scarface and the Ventriloquist. It turns my stomach every time he's involved in a story. I prefer the more 'real' (or "hyper real", at least) take on the Batman mythos, which is why I hate the meta-humans a lot of the time. Although I do like it when Bats rips Kent a new one.

THE KING IN YELLOW OL 4 ADMIN!!!
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 28-10-2008 18:07
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

In a fight of power is Catwoman but in popularity is Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, thats it...

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 28-10-2008 18:20
User Avatar SplitDemonIdentity
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Mine would probably be either Penguin or Mr. Freeze. I've just never understood why they were there in my opinion their kind of pointless.

Feel free to disagree if you wish I'm standing by my point.

He has created a nightmare world that parallels our own, but where paths lead nowhere, words mean nothing, and no one is what he appears!
rayvn-amremalfoy@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 29-10-2008 00:58
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I'm not sure exactly how "overrated" is meant here, are we saying like a villain who's popular with the fans? Or one that's overused by the creators?

In one sense anyways, I'd go with the Penguin, he's pretty lame all around yet one of Batman's most famous villains.
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 29-10-2008 19:33
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

i think david cain is overated but the bruce wayne murderer story arc with him is really good though

Cody
Lfanmangator FinkaMinka93 Send Private Message
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 05-01-2009 18:06
User Avatar batmanrobin_willneverdie1948
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I must say Two-face is overrated because he's obbsessed with a freakin coin. Just walk up and punch the guy in the face. Oh and if your're gonna get plastic surgery and reform... STAY REFORMED.
This was based mostly on Batman TAS and the 60'S Two-Face.
Never read comics in the 80's or 90's and started up again with R.I.P.
P.S. Two-Face was fine in the Long Halloween and The Dark Knight
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 09-01-2009 15:41
User Avatar JustAnotherBatfan
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I think I'd have to say the Penguin (just not to interesting, although I like him--if only b/c memories of the 60s series) and...... Hush. I mean, Bruce's childhood friend? I know he's sort of an interesting character but this is overrated, and he doesn't pose a very large threat.

Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.
RE: Most Overrated Batman Villain? - Posted on 14-02-2009 16:47
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and ya know, popularity wise, I don't get why so many people LOVE Harley Quinn. She's a decent character I suppose, but what makes her so annoying is her fan base. Well...she's actually a pretty annoying character anyways, come to think of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.