Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Batman Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 09:18
User Avatar kpangilinan
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Is there anyone here who doesn't follow Batman in the comics? Lately I've relied my interest solely on The Dark Knight. I'm not very interested in the comics anymore, mostly because I don't have time to read them. I was wondering if there was anyone else who followed Batman in another media whether its the movies, television, or cartoons.

The only thing stopping you from success is doubt.
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 10:12
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I have mostly followed Batman in the TV programs and movies, though I do read the comics arcs occasionally.
My problem is that I live a HECK of a long way from a comic shop and can only make one every few months. So, I tend to get graphic novels.
That way, I get to read a whole arc together,
However, I also tend to be VERY behind of what is going on in the comic world.
Ex. I have NO IDEA who the Batgirl? on black and red with red hair . . .
---- The one at the top of these pages.

Also, my ONLY real comic book interest is Batman (and the immediately related/dependent characters).

In the last couple years, they seem to have "gone crazy" shifting around the characters in the Batman-World. Costumes change, new significant characters have come in. Relationships have been busted.
I've lost track of most of it.
The "break" seems to be the "one-year-later" following the war-games plot line. After War Games, I have been mainly lost.

My favorite Batman remains Batman: The Animated Series and its immediate "revamped" sequel (better stories, worse art). Though, as Justice League (JLA and JLU) expands to more and more "super-powers" heroes, I more and more lose interest. So, I haven't watched most of them.

Sum Nox!
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 12:49
User Avatar Mittens2317
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal 

I'd say download the story arcs you want, read them, delete them, then when you come across it in a comic shop, buy it if it's worth buying. Everybody wins.

THE KING IN YELLOW OL 4 ADMIN!!!
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 13:29
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Tartan Jack wrote:
Ex. I have NO IDEA who the Batgirl? on black and red with red hair . . .
---- The one at the top of these pages.

That would be Batwoman... She's Renee Montoya's lesbian ex-lover

And Mittens! Pirating comic books? I'm ashamed...

Me, I read Gaphic Novels and collected volumes, but I don't really follow the comic books; I'm just not the kinda guy who'll go out to a comic shop every week to see what they have. And I followed the Timm Animated series up until mid-JL. But really my favorite bat-things, as it turns out, are the movies lol

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 17-12-2008 13:35
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 17:11
User Avatar Mittens2317
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal 

^It's a simple case of "I'm not buying a book load of crap for fifteen quid!"

Since the first issue of RIP, I've started buying every issue of Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman Confidential. Before then I was buying graphic novels. If it weren't for my illegal downloading of scanned comics, then I would've made the drastic mistake of buying Hush then weeping for the next three months into my pillow.

Downloading is great, as you get to gauge whether or not you like the story, then delete it, making room on your hard drive for more things, as you can go to the comic shop and simply buy the ones you like. Everyone knows that it's better in physical form, just as it's better buy music on CD or vinyl as opposed to downloading an MP3 version.

Obviously there are people who wouldn't buy the comic after downloading it, but then again that's not really my problem, is it? I'll always fully endorse downloading, for the plain and simple fact that only a person's morals will hold them back, coz how many people have been caught and prosecuted for it, really?

RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 18:09
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Every now and then I'll get into the swing of things and buy every BATMAN issue I can, but it's easy for me to just get out of the whole thing. I prefer buying TPB/Graphic novels. Being a big movie fan, I'd say that the Batman movies are probably what I'm most interested in now days. I've also always been a collector of the figures, one of my first memories is when I got the Batman figure at McDonald's (based on The Animated Series), so just about ever since I can remember I've been getting Batman figures and been a Batman fan.
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 22:50
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I am at around year 15 of buying the comics, but that is only part of my collection. That is really the main thing in my collection. I am one that likes going to the comic shop weekly. Movies and cartoons are not regularly, but I can go get a Batman story several times a month at the comic shop.

I've not limited myself to the comics though. I have a pretty good chunk of the Batman figures that have been produced. My movie collection has pretty much everything live action that has been put on DVD from the serials from the 1940's to The Dark Knight. I've even bought the 4 90's era movies 3 seperate times (once on VHS, twice on DVD).

I understand that buying comics, especially with the frequency that I do, is not for everyone. Some people prefer different media, and I can respect that. I am largely just glad that they are able to remain strong fans without the regular fix. You guys may be more dedicated fans than me.

SGFin99 Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-12-2008 23:37
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Well, we all know you have to still keep some what updated on Batman in comics. I dont have much time to buy myself not only because they are 3 dollars for about 20 pieces of paper but I really love TDK and BB and reading the comics later are like a fan film feel. I am going to start to read some new upcoming issues of RIP and I ussually get miniseries for fun like Death Mask. From time to time I always get a graphic novel, my last one was The Long Halloween and it was great.

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 18-12-2008 08:52
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

You know . . .

The "real" Batman so often is what spurned the main intense interest and all else seems like "fan" stuff or somehow "less."

I liked the older comic books and really like Batman: The Animated Series.
So, my basis is how "faithful" the movies and TV stuff is to the comics character and stories.
In that, BTAS is VERY much so.
The movies are largely a hybrid of various stories and character renditions, filtered through the lens of the producer/director/writer/actors.
The TDK Joker is very accurate to one comics rendition of the character as wild, homicidal, agent of chaos and disruption (brilliant and semi-planned). The BTAS version is the more logical, suave, somewhat campy, somewhat really cerebral humor, but still VERY dangerous and VERY, VERY smart. Basically, the more chaotic, and the more controlled versions of the same personality. Both have their place and both are directly from the comic books.
The ONE thing from TDK's joker is that he ISN'T "permaclown," unexplained but just there. I think the character would have been scarier is done up as if his skin WAS white and dirty (as white skin WOULD be), no one knew why, and no one believed it was real until they met him and tried to wipe it off. It would allow for a moment of "you've got to be kidding" that quickly shifts to true terror.
In my opinion, the Joker as a nut wearing makeup takes a certain edge off the character.

Oh, and the Joker's origin, the REASON he became white, wasn't explained for many years AFTER his introduction and was part of the "softening" of the characters in Batman at the time, as Batman went from dark killer himself to laughing jolly man who is a happy cop in a bat suit.

The Joker always works best unexplained and untrusted in how he became who he is. He just "is" permaclown homicidal maniac, unstable and untrustworthy.

Sum Nox!
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 18-12-2008 12:32
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Tartan Jack wrote:
In my opinion, the Joker as a nut wearing makeup takes a certain edge off the character..

That's an interesting take, but I really like the choice of making him wear make-up. Now everyone says "They did make up to make it more realistic", but I'm gonna tell you the real reason... To display his character.

This is the version of the Joker that likes to get in peoples heads. He likes to disarm them and he'll use any weapon he can to do that; whether it's sex, humour, anger, or maybe a physical threat, he'll use it. And that's what's powerful about TDK's Joker. In the comic's he's a guy who's lucky enough to have had his face turned into a weapon, but this guy took it a step further; the guy MADE his own face a weapon.

See, fear isn't always in the unexplained; sometimes the deeper you dig, the scarier it gets. joker4

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 18-12-2008 19:54
User Avatar matt the bat webb
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

i do the whole graphic novel thing based on what is talked about right here on this site you guys have really reignited my interest in comics

the greatest victorys are won with your mind, then your body
randommattwebb Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 22-12-2008 13:07
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

I do tbp/graphic novels. I really kept up with the animated series till the batman now i am semi-interested in it... my favorite thing is the movies

Cody
Lfanmangator FinkaMinka93 Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 22-12-2008 18:13
User Avatar cdemink
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

If nothing else, you can always keep abreast of the goings on over in our Comic section. I update weekly with the new Bat-books and all the spoilers and preview images. It's a pretty exciting time for the Bat-books.

"Yes I do believe there is a violent thing inside of me."
http://www.batmanytb.com/comics/ Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 22-12-2008 19:29
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

cdemink wrote:
If nothing else, you can always keep abreast of the goings on over in our Comic section. I update weekly with the new Bat-books and all the spoilers and preview images. It's a pretty exciting time for the Bat-books.

Actually, that's exactly how I keep up with the comics lol

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 22-12-2008 19:55
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I am getting The Ultimate Guide to The Dark Knight for Christmas, updated edition. That book helped me know so much about Batman and now I can own it. I recomend it to get a bit into Batman if you arnt that much into the Bat.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 23-12-2008 03:13
User Avatar Mittens2317
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal 

TMMWrites wrote:
I am getting The Ultimate Guide to The Dark Knight for Christmas, updated edition. That book helped me know so much about Batman and now I can own it. I recomend it to get a bit into Batman if you arnt that much into the Bat.

An excellent book, especially for people who like the *ahem* 'realism' behind Batman.

RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 23-12-2008 13:24
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Mittens2317 wrote:
TMMWrites wrote:

An excellent book, especially for people who like the *ahem* 'realism' behind Batman.
I love it for all of the refrence. It will be very useful in my Lego Batman series.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 23-12-2008 13:24
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Mittens2317 wrote:
TMMWrites wrote:

I love it for all of the refrence. It will be very useful in my Lego Batman series.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 24-12-2008 01:50
User Avatar BornAgainBatman
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

I think its the comics books that keep the flames burning for me since almost ever week there's a new bat comic. Also I'm loving the new cartoon so far.

ultraconvoy.com
godcomingsoon7 godcomingsoon7 myspace.com/andyakalife Send Private Message
RE: Who doesn't follow the comics? - Posted on 17-08-2010 10:55
User Avatar DiscowingCanon84
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Wow Sorry, if this breaks any rules of posting. I still haven't even read Year One. I will most likely buy the TPBs and then after i finish a bunch of those after maybe three years. I will go to the comic book shop and buy the beginning of the current general story line.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.