Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Batman Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Neal Adams' Odyssey - Posted on 20-09-2010 03:16
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

With a lack of Bruce as Batman these past few months, and the fact that legendary comic book artist Neal Adams is actually drawing Batman again, I was really excited to pick up the first issue of Batman Odyssey. So far there's been 3 issues released so far, and well it's not quite what I expected, and I believe it's the same for a lot of other people. While the art is good, the writing is what seems to be troubling everyone, and I can see why actually. Batman's personality is nothing like I've ever seen, for Batman that is. He calls Alfred names like Jerk and freak (whether or not he's joking it's still weird for Batman), talks...well he talks a lot. If I'm following the story correctly, Bruce is telling the story which sometimes includes himself telling another story, so basically a story within a story. And the story itself doesn't seem to be moving very much after 3 issues.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts on it, I'm not giving up on this title yet because the descriptions for the next few issues sounds interesting with some cool characters showing up. Plus, Neal Adams is one of my favorite artists and he's doing a good job drawing this book. I was wondering if anyone else is following this title and if so I'd like to hear what you guys think.
RE: Neal Adams' Odyssey - Posted on 26-09-2010 14:33
User Avatar Mittens2317
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal 

He defo shoulda had Miller write the dialogue. Batman sounds too much like if Bruce's parents never died but he became Batman anyway. But yeah, it's Bad Word Here!.

THE KING IN YELLOW OL 4 ADMIN!!!
RE: Neal Adams' Odyssey - Posted on 27-09-2010 22:48
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I agree that Batman kinda sounds like his parents never died. But if Frank Miller wrote it we might have another All Star Batman and Robin on our hands, of course, a lot of people might rather have that anyways. I can respect Adams trying something different with the characters, but sometimes they just sound like idiots.

Also, for those of you who don't know, the series has changed from a 12 issue series to 13.
RE: Neal Adams' Odyssey - Posted on 30-09-2010 22:43
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

The tone and art definitely remind me of 1970s Batman, which is a bit of a shift from the more recent comics. I haven't fully gotten into it yet either, but like you I'm still reading because of where it seems to be going.

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.