Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM CITY HALL | Batmobile History Updates & News

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 03-08-2006 04:52
User Avatar Catfan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

When I visited the Batmobile site that is partnered with this site, I was struck by how the comics had placed Batman with a stock car around 1972-73. First, a Corvette was used, and then a Ford Mustang was the car of choice.

And that got me thinking.

Stock cars were used for the 1943 and '49 serials. What car could have been used by Batman if he had no custom set of wheels? I would say that, for both 1966 and 2006, I would choose the Mustang, or perhaps the Ford GT. For 2006, I could also see the Mazda RX-8.

Now I would like to hear from y'all!! wink

Located at http://www.catwomanfan.com
The 1965 FBI Tribute site
MySpace: Batman 1969
CatfanBogota Catfan http://catwomanfan.com Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 03-08-2006 11:41
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I'm surprised there haven't been more Corvettes in Batman's history, considering how many things were "new & cool" during it's history.

Aside from the 'Vette (and leaving out prototypes & show cars), I could see a few cars filling the role of Batmobile. Some of my picks for modern cars include the Lamborghini Gallardo and Murcielago, the Ferrari Enzo, the Dodge Viper, the Chrysler Crossfire, and the Ford GT.

I also would've liked to have seen more muscle cars for older Batmobiles, like the Dodge Challenger, Buick GSX, or Olds Cutlass. Not the typical ones like the Chevelle, GTO, or Charger; I'd like to see some of the bigger, meaner cars.
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 03-08-2006 12:21
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

One word: Hummer! :p

- D
moonhorns Send Private Message
RE: Make my Batmobile... - Posted on 03-08-2006 23:07
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I would say the Ponitac Trans-Am...
The 1977 or 1978 would do it for me...
The front end on those puppys has the pointed look...

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 04-08-2006 00:12
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

inzo wrote:
I would say the Ponitac Trans-Am...
The 1977 or 1978 would do it for me...
The front end on those puppys has the pointed look...

I'm imagining the Firebird from 'Smokey and the Bandit' with a bat symbol instead of the Firebird emblem... lol. Probably not the right model year, I know, but it's what came to mind. big grin

- D
Edited by batchat on 04-08-2006 00:14
moonhorns Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 11-10-2006 01:10
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

You know, when I was little during the 1980's, I had 2 Firebird Hot Wheels cars, 1 with a big bird design on it, and the other with a very small bird design on it. I don't know what year versions of the Firebird they were, but I remember using them both as the 1960's TV Batmobile, or at the very least, a more sleek and updated verison of the 1960's TV Batmobile. The reason for this mainly was not only were the cars black, but also, they had that ledge like thing over the seats that connected to the front and back windows but still open/roofless, just like the 1960's TV Batmobile where the siren rested on that car(It's kind of hard for me to discribe it). And I just pretended that the bird was a bat design on them. I don't remember what happen to them. I know I lost both of them, that's for sure, however 1 of them I may have thrown in the trash because the thing holding the wheels broke off, and my dad was telling me to throw away my old toys. This must of been sometime in the early 1990's. The other 1, I did find it a few years afterwards(I guess just about middle 1990's), but I've now lost it again.
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 11-10-2006 12:56
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

These are the two that came to mind from your description, they're the only ones I could think of that were black and had the T-top design. Do either of them look like your cars?

(Hot Wheels "Hot Bird" )

(Macthbox "Pontiac 'T' Roof" )

Turning the screaming chicken into a flaming bat actually sounds pretty cool, I might have to try that out on a model (or at least a Photoshop repaint).
RE: Those Firebirds work for me... - Posted on 11-10-2006 14:15
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Both years are the model designs that would work for me...
It would not bring back a memory of the Knight 2000...
Knight 2000 is a cool name anyways...
T-tops on a Batmobile...need to explore more...

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 12-10-2006 01:05
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Hey spencer1984, the 1st picture call Hot Wheels "Hot Bird" was is pretty close to 1 of the ones I had of the 2 versions of the Firebird, except I seem to recall that the front was a bit more sleeker looking(I could wrong though, since I lost it or threw it out, and my memory isn't as great as it used to be). But it does look almost like the 1 I had, espeically the bird design. Matter of fact, it could of been the 1 I had. For those wondering, the other verison I had was pretty much the exact same design, except it had red sets/interior instead, and the bird design was smaller, but I'm sure it was the exact same design. I never had the Matchbox Pontiac 'T' Roof verison(Cause the ones I got were both from Mattel's Hot Wheels line, long before Mattel bough Matchbox), but that's a good base for a Batmobile as well. So the roof design I mention is basically call a "T" Roof type? Looks like I learned a new thing, especially since I don't know my cars so well.
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 23-11-2006 15:44
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

For the last couple of months, when I've been to the Hot Wheels section at some stores, I've seen a black 1:64 Hot Wheels car call 1947 Chevy Fleetline, which I actually thought was either the actual 1st Batmoblie that Batman used in the comics or was the 1 from the 1940's movies. However, after I check out the Batmobile History site to verify, I realized that I was wrong. However, I still think that this car would of been a good basis of a Batmobile for the time. This is espeically since at the top of the windows, it has some sort of, I don't know how to discribe it, but it looks like some sort of "Eyb brows" just above the windows(Yes, I know it sounds funny or something from the movie "Cars" ), which sort of reminds me how the artists sometimes drew the eye brows on Batman in the older comics. The fact that it's black, and the fact that this car's "Eye Brows" make it look like the car is angry, not to mention kind of sleek for the timeframe it came from, makes be believe that this could be a good basis of an old stlye 1940's Batmobile. Here are some links from Hot Wheels site:

- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/showroom/checklist/product.aspx?upi=10727
- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/showroom/checklist/product.aspx?upi=8156
- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/showroom/checklist/product.aspx?upi=8559

I've only seen 2 versions of the black 1, with 1 of them being the 1 from the 1st link, and the 2nd 1 being in non-shiny black with a fireball painted at the sides.
Edited by A_Spidey_Fan on 23-11-2006 15:48
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 23-11-2006 21:19
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

If Batman had to use factory stock cars for a Batmobile I think he would have had the following

1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR
1970 Dodge Charger Daytona
1988 Chevrolet Sledgehammer Corvette by Callaway
2000 Chevy Camaro ZL1
2006 Bugatti Veyron

RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 27-11-2006 19:29
User Avatar Diamond Dragon
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

G'day All,
If I was Bruce, I'd have an 86' countach, Roadster of course........Varoooooooooom big grin
RE: Seventies stock cars? - Posted on 28-11-2006 05:00
User Avatar Catfan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

If I were to do a Batman set in 1970, I might look into a black 1970 Ford Thunderbird coupe; that had nice, fluid lines to it. If this was done in 1973, I'd do the same with a T-Bird of the same vintage (OK, I'm a sucker for T-Birds!); in '74, maybe an AMC Matador coupe. Late '70s? A Trans-Am!

Located at http://www.catwomanfan.com
The 1965 FBI Tribute site
MySpace: Batman 1969
CatfanBogota Catfan http://catwomanfan.com Send Private Message
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 08-11-2007 01:18
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Been a while this this thread has been used. Anyways, recently, under the 1:64 scale Hot Wheels 2007 First Editons releases, Hot Wheels had released a 2nd verison of the Chevy Camaro Concept car ( Which for those who don't know, in the 2007 Transformers live action movie, is Bumblebee's 2nd form when he gets upgraded to the concept verison of the Camaro ) . The Camaro Concept is 2007 First Editon #02/36. While the 1st veriosn is red , the current/2nd verison is black. After seeing this in person, and considering how popular the car is thanks to the Transformers live action movie, I thought that this could be a good stock car for Batman. Here is a link from Hot Wheels Collectors Club with pictures on the black Camaro Concept car, and let me know what you guys think :

- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/lib/imageviewer/?source=sneaks&nid=null&cid=null&smid=null&ContentType=SneakPeek-HWC&sid=1049

Also, for a while now, I've been thinking that the car known as the Fat Fendered ’40 from Hot Wheels Since 68 line might look similar to the red/1st Batmobile from the 1941 comics. I think it looks similar in the design, both on the sides and the front. There are 3 verisons of the Fat Fendered ’40 to be released, with the Since 68 1 in red and black with some white on the wheels (Which is already out ) , and 2 from their Hot Wheels Classics line, with in metallic blue and the other in metallic green, with both having some flames on it. To me, it's more the Since 68 ( Red and black ) that has me thinking that it looks similar to the 1941 Batmobile.

I was wonder if Spencer1984 or anyone else out there that could help verify for me if both the 1941 Batmobile and the Fat Fendered ’40 car are the same or very close/similar in looks and design. And if there are any major differences between the 2, let me know. Here are 4 links with the 1st from the Batmobile History website on the 1941 Batmobile, and the last 3 from the Hot Wheels Collectors Club on the Fat Fendered ’40, with the 2nd about the Sicne 68 verison ( Red and Black ) , and the 3rd-4th about the Classics veriosn ( Blue and green verisons with flames ) . It should be noted that the 2nd-4th links show you different angles of the Fat Fendered '40 :

- http://www.batmobilehistory.com/1941prebat-batmobile.php
- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/lib/imageviewer/?source=news&nid=619&cid=1188&smid=11720&ContentType=null
- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/lib/imageviewer/?source=sneaks&nid=null&cid=null&smid=null&ContentType=SneakPeek-HWC&sid=925
- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/lib/imageviewer/?source=sneaks&nid=null&cid=null&smid=null&ContentType=SneakPeek-HWC&sid=1047
Edited by A_Spidey_Fan on 08-11-2007 01:35
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 10-11-2007 22:09
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Good call on the new Camaro, that could definitely work.

The '41 "Prebat" was essentially drawn as a '36 Cord convertible with a pointed nose added in place of the famous "Coffin Nose."

However, since the car was not a perfect match for any particular car, it would be easy to use any of the "Fat Fendered" cars of that era and convert them into Batmobiles. The biggest difference between the '41 and the HW car you listed is that the HW car is a sedan. However, that does work perfectly for the earliest finned Batmobiles, and a '40 Ford was actually the babsis for the 1/25 version I did a while back:

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 10-11-2007 23:11
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

spencer1984 wrote:
Good call on the new Camaro, that could definitely work.

The '41 "Prebat" was essentially drawn as a '36 Cord convertible with a pointed nose added in place of the famous "Coffin Nose."

I would call that as a Cord 810 with a period Lincoln central nose/grill part grafted in.

However, since the car was not a perfect match for any particular car, it would be easy to use any of the "Fat Fendered" cars of that era and convert them into Batmobiles. The biggest difference between the '41 and the HW car you listed is that the HW car is a sedan. However, that does work perfectly for the earliest finned Batmobiles, and a '40 Ford was actually the babsis for the 1/25 version I did a while back:

I have plans, and a 1/43 diecast, to make a Batmobile out of a 90s Firbird. The version with the hood "snouts"/ram-air intakes would make a good base.
I have 2 of the Red Box ones (like the ones sold at Toys R Us, as a "store brand," in the 1/43 2 packs and 10 packs).
One will be finned and one will be a stock exterior with a few small interior touches.
On both, I was planning a bat, fashioned like the "Flaming Chicken"/Phoenix logo.

I also have 2 cheap 1/43 Firebirds, one from the late 60s and and one from the 70s, both of which I plan to paint a dark blue with the black bat on the hood. The bodies will be stock (keeping with the era).

The set of 4 "Firebats" next to the Corgi Batmobiles would look "neat."
The main decision is the precise shade and sheen of the blues or black.

Sum Nox!
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 29-02-2008 00:07
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Shortly before this past Christmas, I was at Toys R Us (TRU for short) , and noticed a 1:64 scale red car from their exclusive Fast Lanes: Super Wheels line(The packaging is mostly red). I 1st thought it was the exact car from the 1949 Batman And Robin movie, however, after I got it and checking out The Batmobile History website, it turned out that it was a slightly different verison. The 1949 Batman And Robin movie used a Maroon 1949 Mercury Convertible, while the red car I got is a 1949 Mercury Coupe.

That said, I was recently looking at the "Alternate Timelines" section of The Batmobile History website, and found out that in the Elseworlds story known as " JSA: Unholy 3 " , a slgihtly modified Black 1949 Mercury car is used by Batman as his Batmobile.

The 1949 Mercury Coupe car from the Fast Lanes: Super Wheels line is also released in a 2 pack with a Mini Cooper, as well as part of a 19" Take Along Truck Case which comes with a bunch of randomized cars, and maybe some other various Multi-Packs. The Fast Lanes: Super Wheels line ( At least the 1:64 scale toys ) seem to be produce by Motar Max, ( Logo is at the bottom of the car, along with the the name of the car. The Motar Max logo no where on red Fast Lanes: Super Wheels packaging ) . Motar Max also does the American Graffiti line, which also features a red 1:64 scale 1949 Mercury Coupe as well, except it has yellow flames on it, the "American Graffiti" logo on it, and looks to be a bit more higher end thanks to the different type of wheels used.

Went to the Motar Max site and also saw that their Super Wheels line is done in black packaging which I think I've seen in another store as well ( I think I saw the black packaging in Wal-mart ) , but I'm not 100% sure. As well, there is a 1:43 verison of the red 1949 Mercury Coupe in the Motar Max " Dream Car Collection " .

In Canada, the price of the Fast Lanes: Super Wheels ( Which are only avaliable at TRU in both Canada and U.S. ) singles are $0.79, with the 2 packs for $1.49, the 19" Carrying Truck around the $20.00 mark, and any other various Multi-Packs would probably cost close to the $10.00 range. Don't know the prices for the Black Super Wheels style packaging since I'm not 100% sure if I've seen them or not in Canada, but I would imagine they would be around the same price.

As for the American Graffiti line ( Which as far as I can tell in Canada, only really seen in Wal-mart, but maybe TRU as well ) , the singles cost around $4.00 Canadian, and there are also some multi-packs as well ( I think it was a 5 pack ) but I forgot what they exactly are, and their price. However, last I checked, most ( If not, all ) Canadian Wal-mart stores maybe having the single American Graffiti toys on clearence for about a $1.00. Never seen the 1:43 Dream Car Collection cars in Canada ( As far as I know ) , so I have no idea how much they will cost.

I wanted to let everyone know about this, incase they wish to add a 1949 Mercury Coupe car to their Batmobile collection, since a 1949 Mercury was used in an Elseworld JSA: Unholy 3 comic book storyline. Unfortunally, they only offer it in red, so you'll have to paint it black yourself, and they don't offer it as a Convertiable so that you can use it as the 1949 Batman And Robin movie Batmobile. While I don't think you can really do any slight physical custom work on the 1:64 scale verisons, some of you maybe able to do something with the 1:43 scale to make it more accurate to the JSA: Unholy 3 Batmobile, or even be able to turn it into a Convertiable to use as the 1949 Batman And Robin Batmobile.

I myself have 3 Fast Lane: Super Wheels 1:64 scale 1949 Mercury Coupes ( 2 singles, 1 2-pack ) , and I plan on painting 1 in black (To used as a 1:64 scale JSA: Unholy 3 Batmobile ) , maybe paint the roof of 1 in white ( A sort of quick and cheap way to indicate that it's a 1949 Mercury Convertiable to be used as a 1:64 scale 1949 Batman And Robin movie Batmobile. However, if anyone has any other ideas, feel free provide them ) , and leave the last 1 alone.

Here are some links with pictures and references to help you out, with the 1st 2 from The Batmobile History site, and the rest from the Motar Max site(With the last to the main Motar Max Products page):

- http://www.batmobilehistory.com/1949-batmobile.php
- http://www.batmobilehistory.com/jsaunholy3-batmobile.php
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/402
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/439
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/807
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/644
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/281
- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/categories

Hope all the info and links I provide are at least somewhat helpful for those interested.
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 29-02-2008 20:47
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

The '49 Merc was a popular "Batmobile," and served the Dark Knight a couple other times as well:

Highly customized Ford or Merc from Dark Allegiances

A '49 Merc could also be used as a base for this car from Legends of the Dark Knight "Irresistable"

And finally, the car that Deane's currently working on in the customs section is based on a Hudson, but the Hudson and the postwar Mercury had similar lines. Since 1/64 Hudsons are ever rarer than 1/24 Hudsons, this can be another option for you.

For newer members, I'll also mention the 1/24 Mercury made by Danbury Mint, which is a dead ringer for the serial Batmobile:

An in-depth review of this car can be found here: http://www.batmanytb.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=62&thread_id=1842

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 08-04-2008 23:35
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

In regards to 1:64 scale Hot Wheels Hot Bird being used as a Batmobile ( See 6th post on this topic and onwards ) :

- Around December 2007, I managed to pick up a light metallic blue Hot Bird ( AKA : Pontiac Firebird ) from Hot Wheels Since 68 line, and this was during the time when the Since 68 line was starting to be lowered from around $5.00 to around $3.00, so I got it at a good deal. The Since 68 blue Hot Bird has a dark blue bird on the hood, and some silver flames on the front sides of the car. While I would perfer a black 1, this blue 1 looked striking to me, and I figured it would be good for a blue verison of the Hot Bird, espeically since Batmobiles can either be blue or black. If I was little, I would pretend that the bird is a bat, and the side flames is part of some bat design.

- For the 2008 Hot Wheels Tresure Hunts line ( Which is part of the Hot Wheels basic line that usually costs around $1.29 Canadian ) , they are releasing a gold verison of the Hot Bird as well, which has the hood and/or bird in black. The are 2 verisons of this, for 1 has a brighter shade of gold, and the other is a darker shade. If or when I see 1 of these, I'm going to defently pick them 1 ( Don't necessary care which verison, but if I see both at the same time, I'm make my choice ) .

- Also, according to the Hot Wheels Collectors website, there appears to be a Wal-mart Exlcusive Plain Light Blue 1977 Pontiac Firebird will be released by Hot Wheels. This verison will have no designs on the car, and there is some see through plastic ( Which is used for windows ) on the roof near the T-Top roof. The 1977 Firebird is the design that's been apparently used for the Hot Bird, espeically since they look almost the same, but I do notice a Pontiac logo on the front of the Wal-mart Exclusive. I have no idea what scale this car is going to be in, but if it's in the 1:64, then defently I'll pick it up ( Well, if it does show up in Canadian Wal-mart stores) . For anyone looking for a Hot Wheels plain Blue Firebird/Hot Bird car to be used as a Batmobile or customize into a Batmobile, then this Wal-mart Exclusive is the best choice. Here's a link from Hot Wheels Collectors website for more info and pictures:

- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/Library/ImageViewer/?source=sneaks&nid=null&cid=null&smid=null&ContentType=SneakPeek-HWC&sid=2127

Oh, and an update in regards to to a die-cast 1949 Mercury Coupe ( See 17th posting in this topic ) , Hot Wheels apparently has released a approxmatily 1:50 scale Red 1949 Mercury Coupe. The car has some dark red flames on the sides of the car, and I believe it's part of the 1:50 scale "Cool Customs" line. However, the car does look a bit modifed, for the hood of the car looks a bit sliker/smaller/not at a normal height, and the front looks like it could be missing some details as well.

For those getting the 1:50 scale Hot Wheels Batmobiles, this Hot Wheels 1:50 scale 1949 Mercury Coupe could be good to modified into either the 1949 Batman And Robin movie Batmobile ( Roof on mode ) , and/or the Batmobile from the JSA: Unholy 3 Elseworlds storyline.
RE: Using a stock car as a Batmobile - Posted on 29-04-2008 00:26
User Avatar A_Spidey_Fan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

For those looking for a 1:24 scale 1949 Mercury Coupe, I should note that Moter Max Toys also has 1 in their regular 1:24 scale line. Here's a link from there website with a picture of it:

- http://www.motormaxtoys.com/product/174

As well, I wanted to make another suggestion of a possible upcoming stock car ( I have no idea if this car really exists, and if it is coming out in the near future or not ) . At the Hot Wheels Collector website in early April 2008, they posted pictures of a new blue and black Corvette call the " 2009 Corvette ZR1 " . This Hot Wheels car, which is part of the basic 1:64 scale line call 2008 New Models, has a blue and black colour sceme, and with the design of the car, to me sceams potentional Batmobile. My imgination can see a black Batman Mask like design on the hood of the car, particularly a small one at the black part of the hood of the car. Here's a link from the Hot Wheels Collectors website which shows you 2 pictures of the 2009 Corvette ZR1:

- http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/Library/ImageViewer/?source=sneaks&nid=null&cid=null&smid=null&ContentType=SneakPeek-HWC&sid=2137

Again, I have absoulutly no idea if the 2009 Corvette ZR1 really exists or is going to exist, or if it's a made up car from Hot Wheels, but regardless, I do think it would do well for a Batmobile.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.