Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM CITY HALL | Batmobile History Updates & News

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 12-01-2008 23:45
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I was thinking about is the most "influencial" Batmobiles.
I had to say the 40s droop coupe and "bubble" 50s cars would take honors for being the basis for each respective era and for many "flashback" cars.
I would have to say the Futura "double bubble" would set the stage for almost every "unique"/non-stock-based car right up until the Burton movie.
The last one would be the Furstmobile, which provided the basic shaping of almost all Batmobiles from 1989 through today. Most carry the basic shape of the "curved rectangle," rear-placed enclosed cockpit, and several features, It is the basic "Bat-tank supercar" concept. Holding the rubber keychain of the late 90s "SuperBatmobile" (bought at the CNN/Cartoon Network store in the CNN Center after a Thrashers game in the connected Philips Arena), I noticed that the shaping itself is VERY similar, if a bit truncated in dimensions- esp. length.
More recently there has been the move to a modern street "supercar" look more like a Ferrari F50 or Enzo, MacLaren F1, Pagani. or the like. From what I've seen (and your site), it doesn't seem a definitive design has come into prominence. However, the general concept has dominated since the "Cataclysm/No Man's Land" arc several years ago. That said, the Furstmobile seems to still hold a strong influence over the contemporary Batmobile designs.
So, most seem to be at least decently derivative of the Furstmobile concept.

So:
40s-> black streetcar with big single fin (about 10 years)
50-early 1960s-> (about 15 years)
1966-1989-> Furtura (sometimes blended with the angular sports car concepts) (24 years)
1989-today->Furstmobile (basic layout/design and the "armoured supercar" designs) (18 years)

What are your thought on that idea?

Sum Nox!
RE: Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 13-01-2008 19:32
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Funny, I had a publication ask me this same question about a year ago (dunno whatever happened to it, though...). They requested a top ten list, and Ithis was what I came up with:

1) 1966 TV Batmobile - The first Batmobile specifically designed for a live action Batman, this has become one of the most enduring designs as well as the standard for everything since. Not only did it serve as a design inspiration for Batmobiles for years afterwards, it introduced features such as rocket launchers and the famous turbine engine. In terms of sheer influence (ie, recognizability to the general population), this remains the top Batmobile.

2) 1989 Movie Batmobile - For the 1989 movie Batman, a new Batmobile was created from the ground up. Designed to combine brute force and stylish curves, the car fit perfectly with the dark, gothic world created for the movie. Like the 1966 Batmobile, it immediately became the standard for all following Batmobiles and is "the" Batmobile for a whole generation.

3) 1950 Comic Batmobile - In 1950, the comics showcased an all-new Batmobile. Previous years had used modified street cars, but for the first time, Batman and Robin would use a car specifically designed and built for their needs. Complete with rocket thrusters, radar, and a complete laboratory, it was the car that created the tradition of gadget-laden Batmobiles.

4) 1941 Batmobile - From 1939 until 1941, Batman used various high-powered roadsters and sedans for transportation. The now famous car with the single roof fin and bat mask appeared for the first time in Batman #5, and although an exact "standard" was never realized, it still remains an influence on Batmobiles today.

5) 1992 Animated Series Batmobile - Considered by many to be the most faithful adaptation of Batman ever created, 1992's Batman: The Animated Series also featured an all-new Batmobile. The design became another instant classic, combining modern features like the jet engine and onboard computer with classic lines and a larger-than-life presence.

6) 1988 Comic Book Batmoile - From the 1970s through the 1980s, most Batmobiles were modifed versions of existing street cars. Starting in 1988, the comic books began using a new, futuristic design that recalled land speed record vehicles and science fiction stories. The new look continued to evolve and progress, until the car was unfortunately destroyed in 1995.

7) 1998 Comic Batmobile - Few Batmobiles had the psychological advantage of this car. With its powerful shape, sneering "mouth," and raised spines along the rear fenders, its animal-like visage has been able to frighten criminals into submission even without Batman prestent.

8) 1964 Comic Batmobile - Batmobiles are usually large, imposing vehicles, but their size can make it difficult to maneuver through city traffic. In 1964, the bubble dome car of the 1950s was retired to make way for a new, sports car model. The popularity of the TV show shortened this car's career, but the concept lives on with the comic book Batmobiles of today.

9) 1973 Animated Batmobile - The Superfriends cartoon was not the first time Batman appeared in an animated show, but it has become one of the most popular. The Batmobile created for the original run of the show was the first time a Batmobile outside of the comics sported a blue paint job, and the first ever appearance of the yellow oval bat emblems on thte doors.

10) The Dark Knight Returns Batmobile - Not a Batmobile in the traditional sense, this tanks appeared in the famous Frank Miller book, The Dark Knight Returns. It was the first time Batman appeared in such an outright military-based machine, and many believe that this design offered inspiration for the new "Tumbler" Batmobile.

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 13-01-2008 21:39
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Thanks Spencer!
Good list.

Funny, the top 4 are IDENTICAL.
I would have shifted the 1992 BTAS and 1998 Comics cars as derivative, but VERY GOOD derivatives, of the Furstmobile.
The 1973 Animated car is derivative of the Futura, also a GOOD derivative.
http://www.batmobilehistory.com/1973sf-batmobile.php

I do have to give you the 1988-95 sleek concept-car ones were pretty important, but don't seem to have captured the imagination of the general public as much as the others. The comicbookies, yes, but not the general public. They were overshadowed by the Furstmobiles.

Sum Nox!
RE: Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 13-01-2008 22:45
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I think the most influential of anything has to be something most would recognize. So the Batmobiles of the 1960’s Batman TV series, 1980’s Super Friends, Batman (1989) BTAS, TNBA and Batman Begins would be best picks.

Me, I like the rocket inspired one used in the early 90’s because that’s when I started collecting comics.

RE: I say... - Posted on 14-01-2008 16:10
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I still dig the Norman Breyfogle Batmobiles...

For some reason, the shape and techno aspects of a Batmobile
just works...

You take one small look at these designs and you say...
" Now thats a Batmobile..."

Its like Peanut Butter and Jelly or even Beer and Pizza...confused

I must be hungry...eek2

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 21-09-2009 17:49
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I think the top three most influential batmobiles are:

1) 1966 TV Batmobile because it became the most ICONIC batmobile of all time.

2) 1989 Movie Batmobile because it was a template for the subsequent Batmobiles for the first series of movies.

3) The 2005 Batmobile AKA The Tumbler is more tank then car.
RE: Most Influencial Batmobiles - Posted on 25-09-2009 23:09
User Avatar iggiesmall
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

The most influencial Batmobiles for me are:
1 - 1966 TV Batmobile
A really big gap, before the public saw another batmobile made for TV/Movie.
2 - 1989 Mivie Batmobile

"It's the car right, chicks love the car"
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.