Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM COMPUTER LAB | DCU On The Web

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 10-08-2006 02:40
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

I have posted some high quality scans of Ian Churchill's artwork on my Yahoo! Photos page. In the future, I may design an actual web archive for these scans as they become more numerous... but I am lazy (sometimes) and do not wish to devote the time, effort, and resources to such a project at the present time.

Some of these images are funny, some are cool, and some are sexy. Everyone is welcome (and encouraged!) to use these images, but if you do so, please post a credit to me as either "batchat @ Batman YTB" or "moonhorns @ Yahoo!" on your web site. It took time and a wee bit of money to do this!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moonhorns/my_photos

Feedback on scan/image quality is also welcome. These are my first comic book scans.

- D
moonhorns Send Private Message
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 10-08-2006 05:57
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

They need to be bigger..

Also, the one you submitted, is that Batgirl and Supergirl?? What comics are they from?

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 10-08-2006 15:41
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

beyond wrote:
They need to be bigger..

Also, the one you submitted, is that Batgirl and Supergirl?? What comics are they from?

At present, every image available on my page comes from Superman-Batman #19 (aka Supergirl #0). Ian Churchill is the artist (as it says).

Regarding image size, how large do you imply that the images should be? Perhaps my screen resolution decieves me, but the images are roughly the same size as the comic panels from which they were taken (which I think would be optimal... ).

- D
Edited by batchat on 10-08-2006 15:43
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 10-08-2006 15:46
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

when you scan an image.. you want it bigger than the comic page.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 10-08-2006 22:35
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

beyond wrote:
when you scan an image.. you want it bigger than the comic page.

Why? (I'm curious, not argumentative). Too much bigger and you start to notice pixel-ation and color distortion (even with 'descreening' and other corrective measures).

- D
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 11-08-2006 05:13
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

When you svcan, most scanners automatcally make it bigger. Yes, sometimes the pixels are distored, so you size it down. But when I look at a picture, I want to SEE it, not squint. LOL.

I'd say that picture you did would look good at 600X something. If not, then go down to 550.

RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 11-08-2006 10:49
User Avatar batgirl
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal Medal 

Do you know how to scan at a higher resolution? That will make it bigger without the pixelation.

Those are great pictures though!! I love Churchills art. I still like the way Jim Lee does hair better, but Churchill is right right up there in skill.

RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 11-08-2006 14:57
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

All right, all right... If I have some free time next week, then I *might* scan some larger versions.

Currently, I scan the entire comic page at 300 dpi with 'descreening'. Then I resize the image to 50% of the original size. Next, I crop the desired image. Last, I reduce it *another* 50% of its size. This looks excellent on my screen... Size, color, etc. are all perfect.

Perhaps next time I will not reduce its size a second time (after cropping). This would render a larger image but should still retain all of the qualities that I love about these pics.

My scanner is capable of resolutions far greater than 300 dpi, but I think that higher resolutions usually result in the distortion effects previously mentioned, do they not?

- D
RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 12-08-2006 11:39
User Avatar batgirl
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
Medal Medal 

It doesn't distort as much as it magnifys it so much you can the little dots from the printing process. But if you reduce just a little then it souldn't be too bad. The higher you scan it the less reduction you have to do.

What's descreening? I scan stuff and use photoshop all the time, but I don't think I've ever heard of descreening.

RE: Ian Churchill DC Universe Images - Posted on 16-08-2006 00:58
User Avatar batchat
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

batgirl wrote:
What's descreening? I scan stuff and use photoshop all the time, but I don't think I've ever heard of descreening.

Descreening is a feature on my scanner designed for magazine and comic scans. When descreening is selected, the pixel-ation effect is greatly reduced. I'm not sure what the feature actually does to the image to accomplish this...

- D
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.