Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM FAN~FUN | Fan-Fics & Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:08
User Avatar Erin Cobblepot
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Author's Note: I want to thank Buckeye Bat for inspiring me to do this. He's the best! So give him a pat on the back. I don't own any Batman Characters. However, Erin Knightly/Adelie Byrdie is my Batman OC.

Genre: Comic book/romance/action/some blood shed

Pairing: Oswald Cobblepot/Erin Knightly

Introduction

- -

It was dark in the museum. A security guard weighing about 175lbs and standing 5'7'', walked past the glass cases full of statues. One of the statues glinted in shiny fashion. A gold penguin statue worth over 1, 000 dollars sat on it's stand like a penguin standing on an iceberg. It's ruby red jeweled eyes shined under the dimmed lights. The security guard passed by it, not knowing he was being watched from behind a pillar.

The redhead smirked, brushing back a lock of hair that danced against her creamy skin that colored her youthful face. Ocean blue eyes watching with intent, her eyes watching the security guard make his way towards her. She was dressed in a black tux jacket, matching black gloves, dress shoes and black skirt. A thin black head band hid among the dark ringlets of her hair; a black bow tie contrasting with the dark gray vest and white collard shirt. An umbrella was gripped tightly in her hand. She was on a mission.

Just as the overly tired security guard passed her, she lifted up the umbrella and swung it. Hitting him the back, making him winded. He fell to his knees. She cocked the handle of the umbrella and doused him with gas, making him pass out from inhaling it. She smiled to herself, quite proud of herself. Now, for the real test, getting the statue; she walked over towards the cases, she sprayed the whole line of them with the gas. The red lines appeared almost at once. Setting the umbrella down on the floor, she used her flexibility to move over the red lines.

Very, ever so carefully, she moved the glass case off to the side. Picking up the penguin statue, she opened up the messenger bag she'd brought with her and wrapped it safely in some wrapping paper.

''Pengy will be so proud", She thought to herself, closing her messenger bag and placing the glass case back on it's stand.

The alarm could have gone off but she was ever so careful not to touch the lines. Stepping over the red lines, she gracefully picked up the umbrella. She then walked towards the nearest exit: a sky light just near the end of the hallway; using the umbrella-copter as a means of transportation. She landed on the roof just on the other side of the museum, capsizing the umbrella to silent it before it made anymore brief noise.

"You didn't think you could get away that easily, did you?"

She swiftly turned around, her light brown eye brows arched in a curious manner. Lips puckered slightly, as though to give herself an innocent feel. Batman stepped out of the shadows. But this amused her. There were big bad baddies running loose in Gotham and the dark knight decided to chase her instead. How very interesting. He just glared at her.

"And here I thought I was going to. You aren't really going to turn me in, are you?" She asked gently but coldly.

"Penguin's twisted you. You're better than that. You know you are. Give back the statue and I won't turn you in, Batman bargained.

"You don't bargain with criminals. You work with people like the commissioner. You do things your way. And I'm afraid I can't give you the statue. Pengy's expecting it. And I wouldn't want to disappoint him", She exclaimed, twirling a lock of hair around her finger, a note of affection in her voice.

Batman frowned even more, "Adelie, I'm giving you a choice".

"Oswald Cobblepot is the only one allowed to call me that!" She remarked defensively.

Before Batman could even throw a bat-a-rang at her, she opened up the umbrella and doused him with the gas. Before Batman could react, she kicked him the chest, knocking him down. He injected himself quickly, making himself immune to the gas. But the swift kick winded him even more.

"You're not even worth the bird seed to kick around", She spat, looking down at him.

Batman gritted his teeth but said nothing. He felt remorse of compassion for the girl much to the fact she was wrapped tightly around the Penguin's finger. When he finally composed himself, she was gone. He walked to the edge of the roof but the darkness that lay over the city had even hidden her from sight.

The Iceberg Lounge was busy as usual. The mixed public that ran in and out of the place covered the building, filling it with laughter, conversations, business and what have you. Her body was curved all the way down. The men couldn't help but turn their heads. The woman either glared at her or commented with glee. The red head smiled in a playful manner as she entered the chilly, crisp building.

Her red hair danced as she moved across the floor, heading towards the back. Her body moved in a graceful, yet seductive manner. But it wasn't for them. None of them deserved to look, to comment, to flirt. Oh no. She was already spoken for. Her right hand gripped the black leather messenger bag, whilst her left hand gripped the umbrella.

The business men sitting at one of the tables all looked up, they were in a middle of a crucial meeting, one of them lost their grip on his cigarette, letting it fall to the table. The door off to the right opened and her eyes fell on one of the figures. A short man with a round face, his beak-like nose the more standing out qualities. His icy blue eyes being another. He too wore a black tux, matching black bow tie, pants and shoes. His black raven hair smoothed down in the back.

His eyes fell on her. A smile playing along his face. He offered her his arm and she allowed him to lead her into the main area of the Lounge, taking a seat in one of the side booths. Eyes had followed them curiously but neither paid attention. She turned to him, taking off her messenger bag and setting it down beside her.

"Were you able to obtain my preferred?" Penguin asked, taking out a cigarette.

"With flying colors", Adelie replied, taking out a lighter and lighting his cigarette for him.

She put the lighter back in her jacket pocket and turned to the messenger bag. She opened it up and unwrapped the statue. Adelie placed the gold penguin statue on the table, turning it so it was facing him. Adelie removed her gloves and placed them inside her bag, closing the bag once more.

Penguin examined the statue with no more curiosity then someone who had been standing in the museum over ten hours ago. He smiled, taking the cigarette out of his mouth, holding it in his left hand. He took Adelie's hand with his right, kissing the top of her hand ever so gently but smoothly, making her smile but blush.

"Pengy, you know I never disappoint", Adelie whispered, cooing contentedly, a smile on her lips. Her hand lying on his, her fingers intertwining with his own.

A couple of people standing near by had been in mid drink and decided to go else where, rather disgusted by the mixed display of affection the red head was giving to the Penguin. Edward Nygma sat at the bar, a glass of wine resting in his hand. His brown eyes had wondered over to where Penguin was sitting with Adelie. The Riddler couldn't help but have a mixture of envy as he watched the Penguin and his arctic princess flirt.

Riddler's eyes stayed on the red-head for a moment longer before he decided to leave before he did something remotely stupid. He made one last casual swift glance before departing.

To Be Continued...

Hello Gotham. I'm Erin. Ozzy Cobblepot's Biggest Fan. Love you Pengy!

Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought we'd get this far.
Betcha never, never ever, betcha never thought you'd touch my heart.
Betcha never, betcha never, betcha never thought I'd surrender.
Betcha never thought you'd ever get with me.
I betcha never thought of that.

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 09-11-2009 12:10
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:16
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter One

- -

It was one of the few times her cell phone rang while she was taking a shower. She usually shut if off or at least put it on vibrate. Turning off the water, she wrapped herself in a towel. Pushing back the shower curtain, she reached out and picked up the phone off the folded towel that sat on the edge of the vanity of the sink. She had put a special ring tone of birds chirping so she would know who was calling.

A warm smile gripped her lips as she answered, hearing the familiar voice on the other end.

"Hello my little Byrdie, did you sleep well?"

"Very much. Thank you Ozzy", Came the reply.

That was the question, why was she there? Something not worth knowing unless you got the answer: she's at his place. Adelie had slept a considerable amount of time. It was about five in the afternoon already. Had last night gone by so fast? But of course the fun parts always last a considerably short time. It was always sad when the sun came up. But it would be night again soon.

"What time shall I be expecting you?" She inquired as she tried to balance toweling off and holding the cell phone to her ear.

"In thirty minutes. And I've left you a little present", Oswald exclaimed on the other line, as he had called her from a limo-phone.

Adelie made a flattered look as she looked in the mirror at herself. She still had to dry her hair, which was curling quickly without a blow-dryer. She cursed herself for sleeping in so late. Though, she wasn't vain or had an ego problem. She was beautiful to him and that's all that mattered. The two hung up as traffic was making their conversation cut in and out.

She set to work blow-drying her hair, which quickly seemed to dry, thankfully. Adelie grabbed her cell phone and headed into the bedroom after brushing her teeth and washing her face. She turned off her cell phone and placed it on one of the small tables. After putting on her underwear and such, she then placed on her black nylons. Adelie noticed her present was resting on the bed.

It was a black velvet dress. Adelie put it on. It curved her entire body. She placed her hands on her hips and it fit perfectly. There was a slit on the left side that started at mid leg, making the bottom of the dress stop just above her ankle. She slipped on her dress shoes, which perfectly matched. She decided to leave her hair the way it was, a head band would just ruin her curly ringlets, which fell just in a natural way against her shoulders.

As Oswald was picking Adelie up for their date, other forces were at work across the city. Much darker forces. Commissioner Jim Gordon stood at the scene of a terrible murder. Unfortunately, the deed had been done at Gotham's own home for the insane, Arkham Asylum. Jim stood in a back room, hands placed in his own pockets, not caring much for the screams and the noises the residents were making.

Batman stepped into the room, as though stepping out of the shadows. Jim was used to his surprise entrances and his exits. The Commissioner turned the vigilante.

"It's never surprise when they call me up to tell me that the Joker escaped and still managed to kill a couple of the doctors. But it was a real surprise when they told me a couple of others broke out too", Jim replied.

"Who else?" Batman asked.

"The worst of them. Quinn, Crane and Dent", Jim explained, he decided to change the subject, "How goes the penguin hunting?"

"She's still not talking", Batman remarked.

"She?" Jim asked, raising a slightly graying brown eyebrow.

"Penguin's got himself a toy. Not just a toy. She's smart. Name's Adelie Byrdie", Batman told him, "She's been working for him for the past three years. Cobblepot's got her on his arm for social events and he has her tied around his finger during business hours when they do crime sprees".

"Sounds like you've doing your research", Jim commented, wondering if there was more to what the vigilante was trying to do, other than find out facts.

"I have my resources", Batman muttered.

He turned and left the room as the officers started coming in to talk to the Commissioner. Robin, Tim Drake, sat patiently in the bat-mobile. His arms crossed, eyes staring upward. As Batman got into the car a moment later, Tim...er...Robin turned his head.

"Did you tell him about Riddler giving you the information?" Robin asked.

"No", came the response.

"Why not?"

"Because then Riddler wouldn't be a valuable resource of information", came the answer.

Adelie leaned slightly across the table, feeding him one of the small anchovies that sat on the small appetizer dish. She laughed as he kissed her fingers afterwords. Their romantic evening came to an abrupt halt as the waiter came over and slipped Oswald a piece of paper. Oswald glanced at it, his gaze narrowing slightly. He coldly thanked the waiter and handed the piece of paper back to him.

"What was that about?" She asked, her eyes narrowing at the waiter's retreating back as well.

Oswald stood up and placed his jacket back on, picking up his top hat as well.

"We've been called for a meeting", He answered finally, holding out his hand to her.

Adelie stood and took his hand. Grabbing his umbrella that had been hidden under the table, Oswald led them from the restaurant.

End Chapter One

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:24
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Two

- -

As the two sat in the limo, making their way back across town, Adelie slipped onto the floor of the car. She had packed a small bag just in case she would need to slip back into her outfit at a moment's notice. She slipped the black, velvet dress off of her body. The street lights, lights of other cars and such illuminated within the limo, casting a spot light across her half naked form. She felt Oswald's hands rub her bare shoulders, making her lean back against his legs, craning her head back into his lap, looking up at him. His fingers caressed along her neck in a soothing fashion. She smiled up at him before moving away to return to the task of getting dressed. She slipped into the seat beside him a moment later, wearing an identical tux as his and having delicately folded the dress and placed it in the small bag.

She gently leaned against him, just ever so lightly leaning her face against his cheek. Wrapping her arms around him. Oswald glanced at her from the corner of his eye. A small smile curving along his face. He reached up and found a lock of her red hair, wrapping it around his index finger. His icy blue eyes watching her as she contentedly closed her eyes and just seemed to lay there, breathing softly. Not quite asleep but not quite awake either.

"Adelie", He whispered to her.

Adelie lifted her head up about twenty minutes later. The limo was no longer moving. She looked at her companion, moving off his arm. Oswald moved from his seat and opened the door. He stepped out and then opened the door fully. Gesturing for her to follow. Her blue eyes lightened with pearls of affection as he offered her his hand as she swung her legs out. Adelie took his hand and got out of the limo. The driver was standing nearby, having a much needed smoke break. Adelie shut the door of the limo and looked around. They were somewhere near the docks. A part of Gotham that the criminals and villains used as a hiding spot when they wanted to get away from the heroes.

"Stay close my little Byrdie", Oswald muttered, frowning as he took a look around their surroundings.

Adelie nodded, taking his arm as they began to leave the limo behind. Oswald peered up at her for a moment before looking elsewhere. They came to a an abandoned building a moment later. The small sign on the building flashed a neon blue that read: Open. Penguin's face scowled at the lack of discreetness of the operation at hand. Her eyes fell to her companion's face and noticed the cold, shrewd look that was now on his features. Adelie knew he was bothered by this. What idiot had to go and disrupt their evening? Her question was answered a moment later as a figure stepped from the shadows.

It was windy atop the G.C.P.D building. Footsteps echoed the roof top. Making the roof tiles crack and squeak, like rough pavement. Like someone was dragging their feet. The large metal light was sitting in the same position it always had, like a giant flood light aiming at the sky. The dark gray sky was only lit by the moon and maybe a few stray stars. But Gotham was always covered in darkness, no matter how many lights were on below. The metal signal light was never on unless the occupant of said signal was needed. The figure had emerged by rooftop. The other figure was leaning against the signal, arms folded. He looked up as the figure approached him.

"How were you able to access this building?" Batman asked.

Riddler looked at him, a brief smirk on his face, "A great magician never revels his secrets".

"Don't waste my time", Batman replied gruffly.

"I'm ending our pending contract. I'm not releasing anymore information", Riddler exclaimed.

"You know about Adelie, Riddler. I need that information", Batman said.

Riddler raised an inquiring eyebrow at the man dressed as a flying rodent.

"And why pray tell are you interested in Penguin's bed partner?" Riddler asked.

He shuddered slightly at the mental image that seemed to creep into his own mind. Trying to swat the thought away of Adelie and Oswald being intimate as much as possible. Batman's emotionless gaze lingered and he frowned even more. Perhaps giving away one flawed emotion: disgust. Even the great detective couldn't have that image of someone like Adelie sleeping in the same bed as the Penguin.

"That isn't important", Batman grunted.

"Adelie Byrdie is an attractive young woman with an intelligence almost as unique as my own. She could have any one man in this city. Yet she chooses our dear Oswald Cobblepot. Why? Because she's in love with him. Genuine affection you see. Oswald loves the attention. He has her wrapped tightly around his finger. His arctic princess knows no other feelings towards anyone except for those feelings for her beloved. There's no talking to her", Riddler explained, "But apparently you seem intrigued because she won't crack".

"She's been running around with Penguin for three years. Tell me what you know", Batman demanded.

"Do you have any reasons why you want to know such information?" Riddler asked.

"My reasons don't concern you", Batman remarked.

There it was. The cold remark that made Riddler know that the bat was being serious. Of course, when wasn't the bat being serious? He took his job more seriously than anyone ever too their own. Riddler folded his arms once more and shook his head.

"I can't help you then", came the final argument.

Batman said nothing and turned on his heel. He was wasting his time.

"Well...well...well, Harley, look who decided to finally show up", Joker cackled, spreading his arms out.

A second later announced a fourth figure. The clownette of crime bounced idly at the Joker's side. Harley Quinn grinned happily as she placed her hands on her hips. Her eyes fell on Adelie a moment later.

"And look Cobblepot brought a date, how sweet", Harley giggled.

Penguin cleared his throat, "Do you mind telling me why you had to pull me away from an important evening?"

Joker frowned a little, the bird had to ruin a wonderful night of breaking out of a nut house. Of course, what did the Joker expect? He came to the conclusion that Penguin had been busy poking his nose into the red head who was on his arm. And what made the Joker grin now was that pair in front of him were just about dressed a like. Something that amused the clown.

"I thought we could have some fun, for old times sake", Joker replied, a red garish grin on his bleached white face.

"I'm not in the mood", Penguin remarked coldly.

"You were always a spoiled sport", Joker commented dryly.

The clown drew out something from his pocket, making Adelie's eyes widen. A moment later, something exploded. Adelie gripped Oswald's jacket as a building nearby crumbled from the roof to the ground. Harley bounded forward and pushed Adelie to the ground. Penguin's eyes narrowed and turned toward the Joker. Adelie kicked Harley off of her and tried to scramble to her feet but Harley was quick. The harlequin pushed her to the ground, holding her wrists down.

"We wouldn't want to disrupt Mistah J's play time would we?" Harley asked grinning.

"LET ME GO!" Adelie screamed.

Penguin turned and cocked the handle of his umbrella and ran at Harley. He smacked the clownette in the ribs, sending her a good five feet across the ground. Adelie shot to her feet as soon as she was able to move. Joker ran at Oswald, making a good swipe to punch him but Adelie was faster, she elbowed the Joker in the stomach, then cutting into his jaw, smacking him backwards. The Joker backed away rubbing his face. Grinning still.

"She's a feisty broad", He commented, eying Adelie.

Adelie backed away from the clown but Joker rushed at her, sending her to the ground. She grappled trying to get away but he was much stronger than Harley was. She went to kick him but the Joker moved so she couldn't. Penguin twisted the handle of his umbrella and the tip slid out, make a small wave of electrical current. Penguin thrust the point into the Joker, tasering him. The Joker rolled over the ground, in giggling fits. Adelie slowly got to her feet. Oswald looked at her for a moment as he placed his arm around her. He felt a dampness on her and moved his hand.

It was blood.

Oswald's eyes fell on the Joker as the clown was holding a concealed pocket knife in his hand. Anger and hatred grew in Oswald's eyes. The Joker only lay on the ground laughing. Adelie collapsed to her knees after a moment or so. Her body shaking. Hair dangling in her face. Her body hurt. It hurt so much. Oswald felt her clinging to his jacket. Fingers grasping the fabric. He sighed and knelt down, taking her hands in his, helping her to her feet. He steadied her against him. At that moment, Harley shook her head and got to her feet. Seeing the two leaving the way they came.

"Hey! Where do you think you're goin'?" She yelled.

The harlequin ran at them, knocking them both over. Joker had staggered to his feet and was rushing over to join the fray. The Joker grabbed Adelie's arm, dragging her away from Oswald. Adelie screamed trying to get free. Oswald seethed and struck Harley across the face with his umbrella, knocking the clownette out with one falling motion to the ground. As Oswald approached the Joker, the clown looked murderous.

"One more step and the birdie gets it", Joker threatened, pointing the knife to Adelie's throat.

"Let...her...go..." Penguin muttered in deathly whisper.

A moment later a grappling hook came down and pulled the Joker away from Adelie, sending her to the ground. The knife slid across the ground as the Joker fell backwards. Nightwing swooped down and stood there, fists clenched at this side, putting the grappling hook back in his utility belt. His eyes narrowed. Oswald rushed to Adelie's side and helped her back up.

"Get her out of here!" Nightwing barked in Penguin's direction.

Oswald said nothing as he helped Adelie walk back towards the limo.

It had been a set up.

Oswald scowled darkly, as he and Adelie got into the limo a moment later. He laid her across his lap as the driver drove them back towards the narrows. Adelie stared up at Oswald but tried not to black out from the pain wincing in her side. His icy blue eyes met her own light blue ones. He gently swept his hand across her face, stroking it lovingly.

"It hurts", She muttered.

"Shush, we're almost home. Rest", Oswald told her.

Adelie seemed to respond quickly as she was able to cling to him more and relax her eyes just for a little while longer.

She would have never let anyone touch her or carry her. Except for him. Adelie was carried into the large bathroom of Oswald's pent house. She was able to strip off her clothing, though she winced at the pain on her side. The knife wound wasn't too deep that she needed to be taken to the hospital but it hurt, badly. Oswald slid his hands against her waist, helping her into the tub, which was filled with warm water. She let out a scream of agony as the water touched the cut. Oswald knelt down on his knees, rolling up the sleeve of his shirt. He grabbed a wash cloth and held it against her wound, trying to ease the pain firmly.

"It hurts....ow...Ozzy...", Adelie cried, trying to sit up.

"I need you to stay still", He muttered.

She complied as he removed the washcloth and stood up. He brought back some rubbing alcohol and poured some on the wash cloth. He helped Adelie stand up and step out of the tub. She stood firmly still as he applied the alcohol to her wound. She bit her bottom lip. It was cold and it stung. This wasn't the first time she'd gotten hurt. But it was better than letting him get hurt. She knew protecting him was her first priority. Oswald had grabbed some bandages and was guiding his hands across her body, carefully bandaging her wound.

Dick found Tim as he entered the Bat cave not an hour or so later. Tim swiveled in the computer chair as Dick walked over, looking less than happy.

"Where's Bruce?" Dick asked.

"Out. Why? And why do you look as though the Joker cornered you?" Tim asked.

"He did. I was staking out down by the docks. He and Quinn attacked Penguin and Adelie. There's something wrong with that picture", Dick exclaimed, taking a seat in another chair.

"Sounds fishy to me too. Quinn and Joker escaped Arkham only hours ago. How would Penguin and Adelie know where to find them?" Tim inquired.

"Something is definitely not right", Dick muttered darkly, folding his arms and staring down at the ground.

End of Chapter Two

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 19-01-2010 17:55
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:28
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Three

- -

The red head's eyes glittered with laughter seeing the article about three teenage girls getting attacked by birds. Served them right. It was a cold fall afternoon, October was disappearing quickly into November. The red head folded the paper and placed it in her messenger bag. She ducked down a side road that stretched just a mile and five feet long. Walking distance to an ordinary convenient store if you lived in the city. The curls of her hair danced behind her as she came to a back gate. She carefully looked around and then swiftly knelt down and found the gate's key hidden beneath a rock. Nobody but her knew it was there, otherwise one would have to climb over the low stone wall. She carefully took the key and unlocked the gate. Placing the key beneath it's hiding place, she opened the gate and shut it behind her after she was behind safe walls. She made a third check to make sure she wasn't followed.

She disappeared into the thick of tree's lining around the dirt pathway. She wasn't heading up to the sloping hill where Cobblepot Manor was, she was heading towards the bird aviary that was behind it. Sure there was a long corridor that connected to the house but she had been taking this route for the past three years. She was suddenly out in the open as she left the trees behind and went up to the door, knocking a secret code that only she and one other knew. Of course Oswald had taught it to her. The door opened only a second later. Oswald Cobblepot didn't look like he would years later. His beak like nose and roundish features were almost baby like, too cute for words in her opinion. Thick black hair was slightly parted to the side, giving him a distinguished look. They weren't that far apart in height, not at that point in time. A small smile crossed his face as he stood aside, she walked past him, a smile of her own returning his.

The birds chirped in curiosity as the two passed their cages and into the next room. She set her messenger bag on the floor against the opposite wall, next to a table with a fair few books stacked on it. Three windows against the back wall overlooked the grounds and house. The room was circular and big, rather comfy. Almost acting like a living room and a library. Slipping off her shoes, she crossed the room and over to where Oswald was sitting. She straightened her skirt a little before sitting on his lap. She giggled playfully as she did so and he found it rather amusing as well. The two friends had found trust in each other, meeting three years previously during a down pour in the park. The strange yet rare meeting had ended with them sitting in a coffee shop laughing at the fact, despite having been under an umbrella, they'd gotten soaked. Both had found out that both of their families were of noble blood, as both families had always lived in Gotham. Erin Knightly and Oswald Cobblepot were both curious to know if they were truly meant to be.

As their friendship blossomed, so did something else...

Adelie flinched as she stretched, awakening the next morning. She seethed slightly. Her wound hadn't healed yet, it would with time but right now, it still hurt. Last night's events had been pushed from her mind after she and Ozzy had crawled into bed together. Her companion was getting dressed at the moment however. She sat up, not caring that the sheets weren't covering her. Oswald turned to look at her. As he did so, he almost kicked himself for even getting out of bed. Walking over, he checked the place where he'd bandaged her wound. He touched it ever so gently. His eyes met hers only a second later.

"You haven't made a full recovery yet. You're not going anywhere with a wound like that", He replied gingerly.

"What about you?" She asked, not even daring to argue.

"I'll be fine", He assured her, stroking her cheek, "Rest my little byrdie. I'll be back in a few hours".

Adelie leaned into his touch, loving the hand that gave her affection. She laid back against the pillows, seething again from the pain on her side. Oswald put his hand to her hair, stroking it favorably. He decided he'd hurry with his important business and rush back as quickly as possible. Frankly he needed her at his side. And with her on the side lines, he felt almost alone. No. He couldn't have that. He took her hand and gently kissed it. Finally turning away, he grabbed his umbrella and left. Leaving Adelie to rest in their bed. She gingerly touched her wound. It hurt. But she'd done it protecting him. It wasn't like she hadn't gotten hurt before. Protecting and defending Oswald was her priority, serving him loyally and devotedly was her job. And of course, she genuinely loved him unconditionally. She didn't care that he was the Penguin. She loved him for who he was. She bared his pain, his hatred for others and his cold personality. He needed her to be there, to be on his side.

And she had always been there...she would always be there, at his side.

Always.

End of Chapter Three

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 09-11-2009 12:29
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:34
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Four

- -

Edward was sitting in the Lounge when Oswald came in. He noticed the shorter man looked a little out of sorts. Edward just kept his mind focused on the Globe's puzzle that had been printed in that's morning's paper. Pencil held firmly above the paper, Edward kept his attention on it. Oswald sat down just opposite him. Leaning his umbrella against the leg of the table, setting his top hat on the table's surface.

"I heard Joker, Harley, Crane and Dent had broken out of Arkham, it's all over the news", Riddler replied.

"Then you should know someone slipped me a note whilst Adelie and I were at dinner last night. I don't exactly find it funny that she and I were almost killed. Joker stabbed her with a pocket knife but he didn't get it deep enough. She has a wound on her side because of it", Oswald explained.

Edward dropped his pencil, his throat gone dry. He had to swallow to get the saliva to flow properly again. He was glad to hear that she was alright. That was the important thing.

"I can't believe you let her get stabbed", He remarked.

Oswald frowned, "Since when do you care?"

"You know as well as I that Erin Knightly is not just your side kick that you can wrap around your finger whenever it pleases you. She's a human being Oswald. She got hurt defending you. Again. I care because if it were me, I'd be the one protecting her", Riddler said.

Icy blue eyes narrowed darkly. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He would never let anything happen to her and Edward was twisting words. Oswald would hate for anything to happen to her. The only person he cared about.

"She would hate for you to use her real name without her permission, you know", Oswald spoke up finally.

"Do you use it? When you talk to her late at night?" Riddler asked, almost a playful grin crossing his face.

Oswald knew what he was implying.

"She tends to like my pet name for her better", He commented, his own vicious grin spreading.

"She tends to like whatever you do better. She'll only come when you call and she'll only talk to you. She says nothing to anyone else. Not even to me. Your little Byrdie is wrapped tightly around your finger. Why is that?" Riddler asked.

"I believe you know the answer", Oswald remarked coldly.

"Batman is snooping Oswald. He wants to know all about your arctic princess. He's already come to me for information. All I told him was that she's been running around with you for three years and he believed me. He has no idea about you and Erin. Or that Adelie Byrdie is her alias", Riddler explained.

"And I would hope we keep it that way", Oswald suggested.

"I find it hard to believe that she would actually - ", Riddler went to say.

"She said yes and I don't really care what your opinion is about it", Oswald interrupted him.

Edward already knew the answers to his own questions. He knew why she loved Oswald. He knew why she had said yes to such important questions. He just kept thinking it was hard to believe because he did in fact have genuine feelings for her himself. But Oswald couldn't know this. Nor could she. She had no idea nor did she return such feelings. Her heart belonged to the Penguin and nobody else.

Robin and Nightwing were prowling the rooftops. It was dusk now. Bruce was off on some blind date, all a ruse to keep the public eye from getting suspicious. Tim and Dick were natural partners, plus, if there was nothing going on, they could play twenty questions, which was fun.

"See anything?" Tim asked.

"Nope", Dick replied, looking through a pair of binoculars, which aided to scope out things close up even if they were far away.

"So, Joker, Harley, Crane and Dent escape prison. Penguin and Byrdie almost get killed. It doesn't make sense", Time commented, replaying what Dick had told him.

"I told Bruce and he thinks someone is trying to kill Penguin. Not Adelie", Dick told him.

"Well, that's just...but she got hurt", Tim pointed out.

"She got hurt protecting Penguin. Obviously Joker and Harley really don't care who they hurt as long as they get the punch line handed out. So, the job of getting rid of Penguin was unsuccessful", Dick exclaimed.

Tim shook his head, "Who's mad enough to try to kill Penguin for some red headed girl who's in love with him?"

"My thoughts exactly. Someone is wasting their time", Dick replied, he sighed after a moment or so, "The city is quiet...too quiet".

Tim shrugged, "Let's go get something to eat".

Dick raised an eyebrow, "Is that all you can think about?" He laughed though.

"Let's eat then stake out somewhere less boring", Tim suggested.

"Fine", came the defeated yet tempted reply.

Adelie had talked Oswald into taking her to the Lounge, as she wanted some decent food. And this of course he agreed with. Adelie sat with her hands folded in her lap. She was wearing a black dress strapless dress with a white ribbon around the middle that tied into a bow in the back. She wore a black silk ribbon choker around her neck, with a dark red tear drop chain that hung from it. The red jewel lay against the bottom of her neck.

A man with one side of his face burned, walked over, flipping a coin restlessly in his left hand, catching it as it flipped in mid air. His right hand was in his pants pocket. He took the seat opposite her. A grin appeared on the right side of his face.

"Harvey Dent", Adelie replied, nodding to him.

"Where's Penguin pretty little Byrdie?" Dent asked.

"He's getting me a drink. He'll be right back", She said, nodding towards the bar.

"I heard you got wounded in the side by the Joker. I'm sorry to say I wished I'd been there. I'd have blown his brains out for you", Dent exclaimed.

"Part of you wants to blow his brains out. What does the other part want?" Adelie asked curiously.

Dent chuckled, "I think you know", he paused, leaning back a bit, relaxing, "What are you doing later anyway?"

"I think you know what I'm doing later", Adelie commented.

"Youre disgusting. But I guess people like Cobblepot need love to", Dent remarked.

Oswald came back over a moment later, setting her drink down in front of her.

"I believe we have a meeting", Dent spoke up, turning his attention on him.

"I shouldn't be more then fifteen minutes", Oswald replied, looking at Adelie and kissing her hand.

Adelie nodded as he and Dent walked off towards his office.

End of Chapter Four

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 12:39
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Five

- -

Nobody really knows when something is about to happen. Or how it's supposed to happen. Fairy tales are like life, you never know if you're the one who is going to get the happy ending or the sad ending to a never ending story that has too many sequels. Funny how life works out. I was the one who got the first of the two. Leave the latter for everyone else, I guess. I spent the next few years of my life pretending I was a normal person.

Going to school, holding a job, staying in every night to study for that big quiz on Friday. Funny thing, by the time college rolled around, I wasn't what you think I am. I didn't go to parties like everyone else. I wasn't up studying all night, drinking my coffee. I didn't have to live in a middle class apartment. But nobody knew any of that. Nobody knew that I was dating my best friend. Nobody understood either if they saw us. Gotham is a big city but nobody knew. And that's how Ozzy liked it. It gave us some privacy.

When we weren't together, we were. It doesn't make sense but it does to us. I never asked where he went or what he did when we weren't around each other. He let me have a normal life while I was in college. He'd tell me to meet him in specific places and I'd be there waiting. And I'd whistle, like a cooing sound and he'd come. I think he liked it too. I don't doubt it either. It was like that for a long time, six to twelve months. A year or so. Not that long.

You might think me crazy because I was so trusting. It's because I did really love him. I remember one night, I was waiting for him and there was an explosion. I was caught in a fire. I almost died that night. I don't know how Ozzy did it or how he found me, but he pulled me out before the entire place collapsed. The building caught fire and everyone thought I was dead. I guess it's because they didn't see a man wearing a tux pulling me from the flames with every little ounce of strength he had. Apparently he'd been in a fight before coming for me.

Everyone thought Erin Knightly had died in the fire. But they don't know I am still alive. Only one other, apart from Ozzy, knows of my existence. Edward Nygma, the Riddler, knows of me. Ozzy had started calling me his "little byrdie" months before the accident had happened. I liked the sound of his pet name. I dubbed myself "Adelie Byrdie" from there on out. I heard rumors that someone was trying to get rid of my Ozzy. I wasn't about to let that happen.

I found out that some mob boss's lacky had figured out the places where Ozzy and I had been meeting. Guess who payed Sal Moroni, a little visit? Me. I got a tip off using Riddler's connections. You can do a lot with an umbrella gun too. Get the point across. I told Sal that if he or any of the other mobs in Gotham try to off the Penguin again, that he'll be taking a very, very short breath and no time to write his will. They backed off and decided to keep their distance from Ozzy and the Iceberg Lounge. Some of the mob bosses actually struck up business, giving information to Ozzy for money because they were desperate.

It's been three years since all of this happened. Ozzy's the Penguin, one of Gotham's known criminals. But of course you probably guessed that. Nothing in Gotham has changed. Nothing about me has changed either. I'm still the same person I was three years ago. Except, well, if I told you what happened, it might spoil the surprise. But I guess I can say is that I accepted a very interesting proposal from Ozzy. Nothing too hard. Let's just say it was an offer I wouldn't have refused even if he'd asked me three years ago.

Love sure does make people do crazy things...

End of Chapter Five

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 13:43
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Six

- -

She sat perched on the roof top, holding a small pair binoculars in her hands. Red hair blowing loosely in the evening breeze. She was well hidden against the dark sky. She lowered the binoculars, here light blue eyes flashing, a small smile playing along her lips. Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket. Adelie reached into coat pocket and took it out.

"See anything?" Penguin asked.

"Twofer was right, Black Mask and Ra's Al Ghoul are meeting. They have a little group with their backs turned. I don't exactly have a great bird's eye view", Adelie replied.

"That's alright. At least we know what we're up against. Come back to the nest little Byrdie", Penguin exclaimed finally.

"On my way", Adelie said before shutting her cell phone.

Adelie put her cell phone and the binoculars in her messenger bag. After putting a good distance, several blocks, between herself and the meeting party, Adelie went into an alleyway, there was a low brick wall there. She'd heard low footsteps, like cat paws walking silently. She looked up to see someone watching her.

"A bit far from home aren't you little Byrdie?" Catwoman asked, standing up fully on the low wall and then jumping off it.

"Have you been following me?" Adelie asked.

Catwoman reached up and set her goggles on the top of her head and the crossed her arms. Smiling a little.

"Just making sure you don't get yourself killed. Wouldn't want Cobblepot's girl to get her wings clipped", Catwoman remarked.

"Protecting him is my job. You and everyone else don't have to worry about me. It's Ozzy's concern. Only his. Not yours. Not Batman's. Not anyone's", Adelie stated.

She turned around and walked away. Catwoman only stood there for a moment before disappearing back into the shadows.

Oswald looked up as Adelie came into the living room. Dropping her messenger bag into a near by chair, she went to the couch and sat next to him. Neither said nothing as she leaned into him, kissing him. His arm wrapped around her and he laid her back onto the couch. They were in a full fledged passionate kiss when something was thrown threw the window, shattering the glass.

Adelie tensed against him. Oswald's face fell cold as he looked over his shoulder to see what it was. The two broke apart as both went over to see what had come through the window. Adelie's eyes widened and she put her hands over her mouth. Oswald picked up a dead dove off the carpet. Blood stained the carpet from the dove's bleeding chest. It's head had been snapped back.

"This game just got more dangerous", Oswald exclaimed.

"So did that", Adelie muttered.

There was a red dot circling the living room ceiling. She grabbed Oswald's arm and pulled him away from the window as a shot was fired. Both Adelie and Oswald hit the floor. Oswald casted the dead dove across the floor. Adelie handed him a napkin from the inside of her coat pocket. Oswald quickly wiped his hands and tossed the napkin away as well.

Another shot rang out, missing them once again. Oswald made a grab for his umbrella, which was leaning against the side of the couch. Holding onto Adelie, the two made their way to the to the back stairs, which was a back entrance.

"My messenger bag!" Adelie spoke up.

"Forget it. Keep moving", Oswald ordered, keeping her in front of him.

Once outside, both looked around, breathing hard. Adelie was clutching a stitch in her side. Oswald noticed the look on her face.

"How's your wound?" He asked.

"It's not too bad. It's been three weeks. It's healing", She replied.

He nodded.

"Come on", He urged, taking her hand.

Firefly stood on the rooftop. Riddler walked over, hands in his pockets.

"She saved him", Firefly remarked coldly.

"Of course she did. Why didn't you shoot him before she came home?" Riddler asked.

"Shooting Penguin is your idea not mine. I missed because I don't have anything against either of them. Adelie loves Penguin. NOT MY PROBLEM!" Firefly told him.

Riddler frowned as Firefly walked away.

End of Chapter Six

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 09-11-2009 13:46
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 09-11-2009 16:48
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Excellent Chapter Erin

'It's not whp I am underneath, but what I do that defines me'-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 16-11-2009 17:37
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Sorry about the lateness of this chapter!!

Chapter Seven

It was past ten thirty when they got to the Iceberg Lounge. Adelie and Oswald slipped in through the back and went up the back stairs to his office. A large room with dark blue walls, a large cream covered carpet that barely covered the smooth hard wood underneath. Black leather chairs sat in the middle of the room with a round glass coffee table. Oswald's desk sat nearest the right wall. The desk only had a computer, a phone, several copies of the Gotham Globe, a small vase of flowers (Adelie's handiwork) and a picture of her in a silver frame, which sat next to the flowers.

A large glass window over looked Gotham City, a bird's eye view of Gotham's sky line and the tops of the buildings. Adelie slipped off her coat and tossed it on the back of a dark purple couch, which she laid down on a second later. Oswald deposited his top hat and umbrella on top of his desk before moving across the room towards the wet bar, which was directly behind the couch in which Adelie was relaxing.

He popped open the cork of one of the wine bottles filling two glasses. He carried one over to her, sitting down on the edge of the couch, pining her between him and the back of the couch. Adelie took the glass, smiling at him. She sipped the wine. It was slightly chilled. It didn't need to breath since they iced it and had drank from it before. Oswald leaned back a little, slipping one arm behind Adelie, his fingers playing with her hair.

He stared at his wine glass for a moment, swirling the contents around for a moment before looking at her. Adelie was doing the same. Her eyes looked soft and delicate. Oswald leaned over and gently kissed her cheek. Brushing his lips against her hair. A smile passed over her lips, watching him from the corner of her eye.

"We were almost killed and this is all you can think about", She joked, turning her body ever so slowly, so she was laying on her back, not her side.

"I have nothing to worry about as long as you're alright", Oswald replied, smirking, "Erin", he added quietly.

She sat up and set her glass down on the floor. She gently took his glass and set it on the floor with hers. Sliding her legs over his lap, she perched herself on his left leg. She leaned against him. Oswald kissed her, wrapping his arm around her. He heard her say something but her voice caught in her throat and he told her not to speak. He gently took her hand, kissing it. Everything seemed to be forgotten. It was as though nothing had happened that night.

I wanna go there where you go
I wanna find out what you know
And maybe some day down the road I'll sit back and say to myself
I like how you are with me
In our future history
And maybe some day down the road I'll sit back and say to myself, "Yeah I thought so."

( lyrics by Miley Cyrus and David Archuleta - "I Wanna Know You" )

Dick sat with his arms crossed. Tim stood next to him. They watched in anxiousness as Barbara used the computer.

"Well?" Dick asked after a moment or so.

"You can bring Bruce good news. I found out who she is", Barbara replied, turning in her wheel chair and looking at them.

"And?" Tim asked.

"Her name is Erin Knightly. She knew Cobblepot when they were growing up. I looked at that article about that building that caught fire, the old avian building, police never found a body", Barbara explained.

"We don't know that for sure", Dick pointed out.

"I scanned a piece of hair Bruce was able to get off of Adelie's clothing and it's natural red hair. Erin Knightly has natural red hair. Adelie Byrdie is her alias. Need any more proof?" Barbara asked.

"That still doesn't explain what she's doing with -", Dick went to say.

Barbara tossed a file at him, which he caught.

"A engagement ring was bought three years ago. You should look under what Cobblepot had inscribed in it", Barbara stated.

"Thanks Babs", Dick exclaimed, nodding.

As Tim and Dick headed out to find Bruce, Tim turned to Dick,

"So, what are we going to do first, find our escaped convents or go bird hunting?" Tim asked.

"We'll let Bruce decide", Dick told him.

End of Chapter Seven

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 16-11-2009 17:40
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 16-11-2009 19:13
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

As usual a wonderful chapter my dearSmile
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 18-11-2009 18:09
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

OMG!!! I am so Proud of myself. I made a comic book cover for this story!!!

ENJOY!!!!

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 18-11-2009 19:46
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

First of all Thanks for the acknowledgementSmile...Great looking cover but if I may I would have had Adelie and Ozzy facing each other and through a window two tall buildings, one on either side of the window, just like Adelie and Ozzy...on the first building (behind Ozzy) a dark figure with a small green question mark on the chest area...then on the building on the otherside (behind Adelie) a figure with bat ears on the head, bat cape and a yellow circle with black bat in the middle...Get It...just an idea.

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 18-11-2009 20:12
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Okay, I hope this is what you wanted!!!

Edited by Erin Cobblepot on 18-11-2009 20:58
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 18-11-2009 22:34
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

@ Buckeye: -

If you have anymore ideas, let me know!!! Sorry if my second cover is less impressive. I can't seem to out do the first one I drew.

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 18-11-2009 22:42
User Avatar TNTblowup
Gothams Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

These are cool.
Good job Erin.

http://thebatmanforums.webs.com/ Send Private Message
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 19-11-2009 10:32
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Eight

It was quiet when Adelie woke up. Oswald's office was still dark but she could see just as well from the street lights shinning outside, illuminating the room. She stood up and stretched. She noticed his hat and umbrella were still sitting on his desk. A little note was left for her.

Gone downstairs to get something for us to eat

Adelie took the umbrella and left his office. It was still strangely quiet as she approached the main area of the Lounge. Adelie turned around the corner and stopped. The entire place was empty. Every piece of furniture that wasn't nailed down was turned over. There was nobody around. Adelie searched the entire room, going into the kitchen and bathrooms.

"OSWALD!" Adelie called loudly.

She passed by a couple of tables and something crunched under her foot. She tensed and moved her foot, looking down. It was his moncole. She clutched the front of her jacket, trying to keep herself calm but every part of her was screaming from the inside out. How could she have slept through this? Why hadn't she woken up? She could have protected him. There was one table beside her that hadn't been turned over and a full glass of wine sat on the table. Adelie grabbed it.

She stared at it, tears welling through her eyes, breaking through little by little. It wasn't fair! None of it was. Why couldn't everyone just leave them alone?! It just wasn't fair! With a good hold on the wine glass, Adelie leaned her arm back and threw it. The glass hit the nearest wall and it shattered, sending red wine against the wall and floor. Catwoman walked into the Lounge a moment later, having just been missed getting hit with the wine glass, luckily.

"I must have missed a good party", Catwoman muttered, placing her hands on her hips, looking around. She then noticed Adelie standing not a good two feet away, looking less than happy, "What happened?"

"What happened?! Oswald's gone! That's what happened!" Adelie exclaimed.

"Hey, calm down", Catwoman said, walking over and putting her hands on the younger woman's shoulders.

"Oswald is probably hurt somewhere and you want me to calm down?!" Adelie stated.

Selina took a good look at the younger woman and noticed that her eyes looked like what someone's would when they were in love and Selina knew all too well what that look felt like and she understood how Adelie felt. There was no doubt in her mind that Adelie did in fact love the Penguin. Just looking at the younger woman, you could see it in her eyes.

Adelie pushed past her and headed for the door. Catwoman raised an eyebrow as the red head headed for the door.

"Now where are you going?" Catwoman asked.

"I'm going to find who ever took Oswald", Adelie said, a hint of murderous fury in her voice.

Catwoman stood there as Adelie disappeard out side. Selina sighed and ran after her. She couldn't let Adelie go out on her own and she'd would have a furious penguin to contend with if anything happened to her.

"Little Byrdie, wait up!" Catwoman replied, hurrying to catch up with Adelie.

Adelie fumed as they checked all over Gotham. Well...not all over. Just in the most common places one would look. Catwoman prowled above, keeping an eye on the red head. She slipped down onto the sidewalk next to her. A dark car pulled up beside the curb.

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in", Catwoman said, crossing her arms.

Two-Face stepped out of the car. He had one hand in his pocket, his coin restlessly moving in the other. His eyes fell on Adelie's.

"I went to the Lounge but nobody was home. I'm surprised to see you two together. A cat and a bird. How ironic", Dent exclaimed.

"Oswald's missing. I'm trying to find him. And kill whoever took him in the process", Adelie snapped.

"She's like a cat without her cat nip", Catwoman added, nodding.

"This isn't funny!" Adelie remarked, "Oswald is probably hurt somewhere, getting tortured by god knows who and you two think this is some sort of game! It's not! So, if you are so inclined to help me, then help! But if you're going to make jokes, then leave me alone!"

Adelie turned and started to walk away. Dent walked over and put a hand on her shoulder, stopping her from going too far.

"I know where he is. I've been doing some inside work since Black Mask and Ra's Ghoul broke out of Arkham. They want to take some of the big players out. Cobblepot is our source of information but he's still the Penguin. He can double cross whenever he wants to. He sold Black Mask out to Batman", Dent explained.

Adelie slowly turned to look at him, "Take me to him so I can kill everyone one of them", she muttered in a deathly whisper.

Dent smirked, taking out his gun, he cocked the handle so the bullets were in place.

"Sounds good to me", He commented, he flipped his coin, it landed on the scarred side, "Look, it's our lucky day. We do get to kill someone".

The three got into the car. Adelie took the passenger side. Gripping the handle of Oswald's umbrella. Catwoman sat forward so she was almost sitting in between Adelie and Dent.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Catwoman asked, looking at Adelie.

Adelie nodded, staring out the window.

End of Chapter Eight

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 19-11-2009 11:26
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Excellent as usual my dearbatman
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 20-11-2009 16:27
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Chapter Nine

The car pulled up in front of an old building, the color completely faded, windows dirtied with age and wear. Dent got out first, followed by Catwoman and then Adelie. The red head had a determined look on her face. Her eyes held a great deal of emotion. She breathed in slowly and then started walking towards the building. Her two companions right behind her. Four men were standing in their way, however. But they were just lacky's, nothing but errand boys.

"Adelie, duck!" Dent ordered.

Adelie dropped to the ground as several gunshots rang out. She covered her ears and then looked up to see four dead bodies. She ignored the gun wounds and the blood. It wasn't her concern. She merely shrugged it off and reached the door.

"Why use the front door when you can use the back, come on", Catwoman replied, walking around the other side.

Adelie sighed and followed. There was, in fact, a back door. There was always a back door. Adelie raised her umbrella and pulled the handle, a good fire shot killed the door handle, knocking it out of place. Letting the door swing open. Dent went in first. Catwoman and Adelie followed. There were back stairs leading downwards. They reached the building's basement within minutes.

There was a bit of a draft and there were bare pipes along the left side of the ceiling. And there was a bit of a musty smell. The hallway was short and there was a door just near the end of it. Dent tested the door knob, it was unlocked. He raised his gun, ready to pull the trigger if anything happened. He backed up and kicked the door open with his right foot, sending it backwards.

Several mob members rushed out at them. Catwoman pinned Adelie against the wall, keeping herself in between the thugs and the red head. Dent was holding his own just a good few feet away. Catwoman clawed at one guy's face, kicking him swiftly in the abdomen and in the legs. Adelie waited three seconds when Catwoman went to twist her body around, she then snuck herself out from the wall and made a run for the open door.

"Adelie!" Catwoman called over her shoulder, catching a glimpse of the red head.

Adelie didn't hear her nor look back as she punched a guy across the face and hit him with the umbrella, winding him and knocking him to the ground. She swung around and kicked another in the groin, knocking him to his knees. Seeing her opening, she slid into the next room. Turning around as she entered the room, her eyes lit up.

"Oswald!" She exclaimed.

Oswald sat bound and gagged in a near by chair, looking as though he'd put up a good fight. He looked up at her, his eyes showing that he was glad to see her. Adelie knelt down and untied him. Once his hands were free, he reached up and took the duct tape off his mouth. He was lucky he'd learned to breath through his nose. But he coughed for a second, getting the full use of his lungs back.

Adelie looked up at him from her kneeling position on the floor. Oswald looked back at her, putting his hand against her cheek. He could tell by the tender emotion in her eyes that she had been upset due to the fact she had found him missing and he could only guess that she had somehow gotten help to come and find him. Whatever the reason, he was glad she had gone unharmed.

A moment later, Catwoman was thrown into the room and hit the opposite wall. However, she managed to get to her feet, rubbing the back of her neck.

"We've got company", She stated, looking over at the love birds.

Oswald and Adelie stood up as Riddler came into the room, Ra's Ghoul was right behind him. Catwoman ran at him but Ra's Ghoul sent her against the wall again, knocking her out.

"You were working with him?!" Adelie asked, looking in Riddler's direction.

"Nothing gets passed you, does it?" Ra's asked, looking at her.

"Adelie, please don't take this the wrong away, but we're exterminating some of Gotham's problems", Riddler explained.

Adelie stepped in front of Oswald with her arms out, "If you're going to exterminate, then I'm going with him".

"Adelie, please step out of the way", Riddler exclaimed.

"NO!" She stated.

"Don't be foolish, dying for someone who isn't worth dying for is unnecessary", Ra's Ghoul replied.

Remembering that she still had the umbrella in her hand, Adelie moved her fingers swiftly and without notice. She had turned the nozzle of the umbrella's top brim. In one good movement, she lifted up the umbrella and pulled the handle. A smoke screen clouded the room a moment later. Riddler and Ra's Ghoul fell into a coughing fit. Oswald grabbed Adelie's arm and the two left the room.

The smoke was building up behind them. They took the stairs leading from the basement. Adelie kicked the door open and soon were engulfed in the darkness of the alleyway. Of course, they had left Catwoman and Dent behind but it was a small sacrifice they were willing to make.

"That smoke screen won't hold them for long. We best be going", Oswald remarked.

Adelie nodded but just as she was about to follow him, a hand reached out and grabbed her, holding her against the alleyway wall. Oswald turned around but was met with the barrel of a gun.

"NO!!!" Adelie screamed.

Riddler was holding her against the wall while Ra's held the gun. Riddler wouldn't dream of killing anyone, it wasn't his style of doing things. Adelie squirmed under his grasp, trying to get free.

However just as Ra's was about to pull the trigger, Robin's boot kicked it out of his hand and his other foot kicked him in the face. Robin smiled triumphantly as he landed on the ground and stood up quickly. Police sirens were heard in the distance.

Riddler looked at the red head but Adelie merely kneed him in the stomach, sending him to his knees. As he looked up at her, Adelie just looked away. She didn't linger and ran over to Oswald, throwing her arms around him.

"Alright, that's enough! I don't need to see that, I'm a minor," Robin wisecracked, "So, get a room!"

By the time Nightwing showed up, Adelie and Penguin were gone, as were Dent and Catwoman. He turned to Tim who stood nearby, watching the police take the criminals away.

"Everyone alright?" Dick asked.

"Yep", Tim replied,nodding, "Penguin's in one piece".

"That's good. I'd rather contend with any criminal but not an over-emotional, love sick red head", Dick stated.

"I think it'd be pretty fun, Adelie is kinda cute", Tim commented.

"Don't push it", Dick said, smirking slightly.

It was about 1 am.

She laid on her side, curled up against him. Her face close to his chest. Rain spitted against the bedroom window as she fell back to sleep, having just used the bathroom not five seconds ago. Oswald's arm was tucked around her waist. His eyes opened after a second or so, his fingers stroking her upturned side.

Adelie looked up at him, feeling that he was awake. Her light blue eyes looked at his icy blue ones, she smiled softly and a little sleepily. Oswald lightly kissed her forehead, smiling at her in return.

End of Chapter Nine

TO BE CONTINUED.....

SEQUEL COMING SOON! penguin

RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 20-11-2009 18:18
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

As usual wonderful chapterbatman
RE: Gotham After Dark: Bounty On A Bird - Posted on 28-12-2009 14:55
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Sooo much to read Smile This is some great work, Erin.

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.