Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM FAN~FUN | Custom Action Figures & Models

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 27-06-2007 11:34
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

A few weeks ago I started working on a new Batmobile model, the Futura as it appeared in the 1970s (specifically in Legend of the Superheroes).

I thought I had posted some of the work-in-progress photos here, but it looks like I forgot embarrassed

So, for anyone interested here's where it is so far:

Like my previous Futura Bat, I cut out the grille openings...

...I also decided to open the trunk, and drill the holes for the rocket tubes and exhaust.

Beacuse I'm a glutton for punishment, I also decided to open the doors. One of my sticking points was that the doors had to open so that they swung inside the front fenders, like a real car - not outside the body like most toys & diecasts.

Making realistically hinged doors in scale is difficult enough, but the wide doors on this car required extra effort. A combination double-hinge and slider provide good results, though.

Here's the interior in-process. The door jambs, door sills, rear bulkhead, and rear dash are pretty much done. The seats and center console have been started, but still need work before they will be ready for primer.

Any quesions/comments welcome!

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 30-06-2007 14:18
User Avatar Necofurtim
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

That's some nice detailed work your putting in there. Can't wait to see the finished car, should be amazing.

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 01-07-2007 11:03
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

AMAZING! I have a lot of Die-Cast's and you're right the doors open out away from car not inwards like a real car. That's great work and great attention to detail.

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 02-07-2007 07:48
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thanks, guys! Here's this weekend's progress:

I still need to detail the intake, but I'm going to have to locate it in the engine bay first. The Futura has a pretty low hood, and there's no way this 427 can fit as it was originally intended. I should have plenty of clearance below the car to push the engine down, but I may still have to figure out a way to make everything fit against the bottom of the hood.

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 02-07-2007 20:47
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Nice shot of the Engine. You still need to add the dual carbs and air cleaner. All Ford Engines of that day were BLUE so why is your red?

What color is the Engine in the #1 Batmobile?

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 02-07-2007 23:57
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thanks! Yep, that was the intake bit I was referring to: I might actually make the air cleaner part of the hood scoop, with an air box similar to vintage dragsters. That will have to wait until I get more of the body done, though.

Funny you should mention the engine color: although blue was the most common color for Ford blocks, the Thunderbolt (which is what this engine came out of originally) actually had a black engine with a chrome dress-up kit. The #1 has a black block as well, but to be blunt it's a really pathetic looking piece. Peeling paint, gold valve covers, single carb, no air cleaner, rusty headers...a lot of these show rods had very little under the hoods, including the Batmobile. The car was meant to be shown with all the panels closed and nothing examined too closely (you never got to see under the hood in the original series, and just got a glimpse in LotSH). I wanted a little more "oomph" for added realism, so I skipped the 390 and went for the big 427 with dual carbs on a high rise manifold.

I decided on red for two reasons: first, it is a legitimate Ford color, although one found more frequently on cars from the '50s (I used actual Ford engine enamel here). Second, the same color will be used throughout the rest of the car on things like the interior details, stripes, cowl radar, and parachutes. I thought it would provide a nice bit of continuity.

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 08-07-2007 20:36
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I got tired of looking at the multicolored body, and gave it its first coat of primer today:

It was actually much better than I feared it would be. It still has quite a few places left to clean up, but no major gaps. I also did some more engine work, including the transmission, starter, oil fill, and a scratchbuilt generator:

Why such a massive genny? Why, for this:

Batman of the late '70s has added a new computer for the Batmobile, the (then) state-of-the-art Northstar Horizon computer. With a whopping 4MHz processor, 16K of RAM, 18MB hard drive, dual 5-1/4" drives, and a stylish wooden case, this thing needs a massive power supply to prevent the lights from going out when it boots up. yes

RE: Very Original... - Posted on 08-07-2007 20:56
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Another masterpiece being created...
Can't wait for the final pics...yes

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 16-07-2007 10:12
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Most of this weekend was spent filling & sanding, but I did get one other important deail added:

I was originally going to hide the fuel fill, but then I thought it might be fun to try to make a working gas flap. It took a couple of tries (this was my first attempt at working with aluminum), but I like the way it turned out.

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 30-07-2007 16:00
User Avatar munkynut
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

It's looking great can't wait to see more.
munkynut72 Send Private Message
RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 05-08-2007 23:06
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I had to take a break from this for a bit because I made a quasi-major goof (small in size, big on annoyance). The break was both to give me time to figure out the best way to fix it, as well as just take a break from it for a time.

The goof was this:

I had to install the rear half of the chassis before I could go any further. But, to do that, I was going to have to make and install the fuel tank first (the tank in my model sits crosswise between the cockpit and the rear wheels). Unfortunately, I mis-measured and the tank sat up too high when it was in place. This meant that the fuel door hinge hit on it, and the door wouldn't close. But, since everything had been epoxied together at this point, I couldn't just take it apart to fix it. So, what I had to do was take the smallest Dremel bit in the drawer and carefully carve away the top of the tank until the door would close. The tricky part was that I had to do this through the open fuel door, so I had about a 1/4" square window surrounded by more-or-less finished bodywork.

Anyway, once that was good I turned my attention to the rear end, which was the last major obstacle before paint. I cut out everything behind the rear wheel arches, and made a new trunk floor and new wheel wells out of .020" sheet stock. Then I made new rear frame rails from .020" x .080" stock and new side rails from C-channel. All the gaps were filled in, and the whole thing was shot with primer. I like the way it looks much better than the way I was originally doing it, plus this gives me a lot more space in the trunk for more bat-gadgets.

RE: Now thats alot of work!!! - Posted on 07-08-2007 15:02
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Holy drop resin statues Batman!!!

I would have called it aday after breaking the body
apart from hard sanding...eek2

Another work of art...

This will be your second 66 and it gets better...
I like the other one also...

As for me...I'm in another rutt...mad

The magic has gone away for now...

At least we still have two Batmobile mechanics still on
duty...

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 12-08-2007 23:09
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thanks, Inzo. Don't worry, the spark goes on hiatus for all of us now & then, but it always comes back one way or another Smile

Here is this weekend's progress. The chassis was finally done enough for me to paint it, so I did:

I also got the seats nearly done. I still have to go back and trim the piping on the seat tops, but that has to wait until they're dry. Not pictured is the scratchbuilt seatbelts I made for it.

The next week or so is going to include scratchbuilding a lot of little doodads that won't be installed until the car has been painted. But, they still need to be done and now is as good a time as any.

RE: Looking good... - Posted on 13-08-2007 12:08
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I like the smell of a fresh coat
of paint...

The seats are cool...
Right on the money...Smile

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 20-08-2007 07:00
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thanks, Inzo!

I got the body fuzzed & painted, so it's essentially just final assemblies and detail work from here out. I fuzzed it by doing several quick, light mist coats of filler primer, followed by enough mist coats of Flat Black to cover everything. Masking off the chassis wasn't as bad as I feared, I only had to make one repair.

I also started installing the suspension:

RE: Its fuzzy and it tickels... - Posted on 22-08-2007 21:47
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Love that Bat Fuzzzz....catwoman2

I bet this Batmobile is already completed
and your killing us with the anticipation...wink

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 26-08-2007 23:43
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Ha, I wish! Two steps forward, one step back on this thing. I guess that means I'm still making progress, at least Smile

Anyway, the stripes are now done!

And here's a close-up of the fuzz texture:

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 27-08-2007 07:50
User Avatar real-dark-knight
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

That's looking SO good..........
Message Send Private Message
RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 27-08-2007 23:03
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thanks, RDK! The air bag front suspension is now done:

RE: New Batmobile Model WIP - Posted on 28-08-2007 07:11
User Avatar Dick G
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

thats cool
you must have alot of patience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.