Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM FAN~FUN | Custom Action Figures & Models

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Making an original Batmobile - Posted on 21-01-2009 02:09
User Avatar yenshen
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

ok, need help here. This is the type of car I got, except its silver, not yellow.

http://www.autome...ext_1.jpg

ok, now I want to modify into a batomobile I can clange it into by a press of a button. (basicly, all I want to do is have the back fins pop out at a push of a button)

now, I want to do this in a minimalist way, without changing too much to the car, because its supposed to function as a stealth batmobile, disquised as a normal car, and then changes when needed.

I know the REAL batman!
RE: Making an original Batmobile - Posted on 26-01-2009 01:00
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I think you'd have to give us some more info on what type of item you actually have. Also, I doubt most model makers know much about creating modules that will project hidden parts. My only advice is to study, maybe even disassemble a toy vehicle with perhaps pop-out wings, like The Dark Knight Collection's Batjet circa 1990 or Batman Beyond's Street to Sky Batmobile circa 1999.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Making an original Batmobile - Posted on 26-01-2009 13:01
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

The simplist manner would be to spring load the wings to pop-out and have some sort of a trigger/lock to keep them in place hidden and to release them when the block is smoothly and quickly removed.
If you want to make it a bit more complex, you can use a piston to raise and lower them in and out of the body work.

The main issue you need to keep in mind when punching holes in body work is that water has small particles and manages to slip into ANY gaps you have. So, where ever you punch the holes for the wings/fins, make sure their is either a sealed box and a drain that can be cleaned of that water entering the area is OK.
Also, make sure the long slits for the retractable wings/fins are NOT structurally crucial for the rigidity of the vehicle. Otherwise, it could easily compromise the vehicle and cause stress cracks and/or flexing of the body as you drive over ANYTHING but the smoothest ground or at any speed above creeping.

Another idea: removable fins that CLAMP onto the edges of the trunk. I had designed some, on paper, for a Miata truck, should I ever decide to convert mine or another into a miniature Batmobile.
DON'T laugh!
Batman DID once drive a SMALL sports car, that would have been similar in size to a Miata, as originally drawn:
http://www.batmob...obile.php

--Some of the images seen of this car are EXACTLY the scale of a Miata/MGB/Porsche 356 (all about the same size). Others are closer in scale to an early 60s large Thunderbird (as the one Duncan MacLeod drives in the Highlander TV series).

One day, I just might make a supercharged Miata-Batmobile that LOOKS like the 1964 version!

Sum Nox!
RE: Making an original Batmobile - Posted on 26-01-2009 13:06
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Also, you might want to contact Spencer1984 for more info on THIS actual comics Batmobile:
http://www.batmob...obile.php

It has lines actually somewhat like your Chevy and less like the normal sports cars and supercars of post-1960s Batman comics.

Sum Nox!
RE: Making an original Batmobile - Posted on 26-01-2009 21:49
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Tartan Jack are you doing this to a Model or a real automobile?

Doing the pop up fins to a Model is one thing, but a real car, and that's how you sounded in one of your posts, will not work.

A real car would cost a lot of money to convert and you would need to contact a custom car builder.

Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.