Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOWN SQUARE | Everything Else

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 17-09-2006 23:36
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

All sorts of intriguing new products hit the market all the time; some are great, some are okay, and some are just awful. So I thought it'd be fun and convenient to have a thread where anyone can critique relatively new products. You can make long, thorough posts or just a two sentence critique, as long as you get your point across. It's such a broad "everyday" thread that I'll make it Sticky.

For now, I've had some restaurant meals that I felt like doing little reports on...

Pizza Hut's Sicilian Pizza
I was looking forward to this. I love the idea of combining lasagna with pizza. But as it turns out, the Sicilian pizza wasn't as deep-dish as I would have preferred. And it was somewhat small, so luckily, we got the deal where you buy an additional medium pizza for $5. It had a nice flavor, just not as many toppings or as deep-dished as I'd hoped.

Burger King's Stacker
This isn't terribly new, but I had one a few weeks back. You can have one, two, or three burger patties with cheese, bacon, and some special "Stacker sauce." While it was good, it wasn't near as big as they suggest. In fact, I honestly think they were a Kid's Meal size patties. This was a somewhat crappy restaurant, though, with few customers, so maybe they're trying to save money and left me eating my brother's leftover fries to fulfill my appetite.

I.H.O.P.'s French Toast
They've got this deal where you get French toast with fruit on top. The commercial makes it look damn good, so I got the banana version. While it was good, all it actually was was a donut filled with banana custard and had whipped cream, nuts, and banana slices on top to make it seem really special. I like donuts, so I inevitably liked the taste. But I know French toast, and donuts aren't interchangeable with friggin' French toast. My brother said the kind he had once was genuine French toast, so I guess by chance I was, once again, screwed.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 18-09-2006 14:17
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Red Baron Pizzaria Style Pizza:

I don't know if it's that new, or even if I got the name exactly right; I just know it's one of the best damn frozen pizzas I've ever had. As usual for Red Baron, the sauce is excelent, and whatever cheese is on it melds well with Sarento cheeses. But I'm not here to talk about the cheese and sauce, I'm here because of the crust. It's thicker and more tender than the Classic Style Red Baron, it's also more filling and tastes a lot fresher; the only problem is that it tastes nothing like any Pizzaria pizzas I've ever had, which is quite a dissapointment as I had hoped it would. Still, if you want a frozen pizza, get a plain pepperoni Red Baron Pizzaria Style and add what ever toppings you want; it's the best you can get from a frozen Pizza in my opinion.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 18-09-2006 14:17
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 18-09-2006 17:55
User Avatar real-dark-knight
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Stay away from Nandos in St Albans - newly opened so you'd hope they'd be trying to make an impression. It wasn't good!!! (do you have Nandos in the States?)

I'm glad I got that off my chest.

(Although if it had occured to me before I'd seen this thread - I wouldnt have guessed I'd have got it off said chest on a Batman forum!)

Message Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 00:38
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Hahah. Now we're talkin'! Smile For a bit there I was afraid this thread would die a quick death, but I think we'll find how versatile and helpful it can actually be...

Thanks for your insights, guys. I haven't had Red Baron Pizza in years and can't remember how I liked it, but that sounds like my kinda pizza: thick crust with loads of pepperoni and cheese. I've never heard of Nando's, so it may be more of a regional thing.

I thought of another new one...

Hardee's Jalape?o Thick Burger
I'm a bit of a Thick Burger enthusiast (with the Frisco and Philly Cheese Steak being some favorites) and I like spicy foods, so I looked forward to this one. The first time I had it, it didn't have very many jalape?os, but the second was well prepared. It's also got Pepper Jack cheese and some sort of spicy sauce. Not easy on the wallet but a very hot and tasty burger. Though I still miss that discontinued burger with the fried jalape?o strips...

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 04:55
User Avatar DavidG
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

i had Red Baron Pizza , before, and it is one of my favorite pizzas.

Edited by DavidG on 19-09-2006 05:01
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 14:21
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

I think Burger King are generally pretty crap (why do FRESH burgers need 20 seconds in a bloody microwave before they're edible??? Please!) - so I'm REALLY not going to lose any sleep over it, but I HAD to know what Stacker Sauce is! I had a look at Burger King.Com and you guys (USA) have got loads more variety than we (UK) have! If I was a Burger King fan I'd have been green with envy!

However (and this will probably be of interest to you Caleson) we've currently got free The Batman toys available with kids meals. I do love a good Batmobile - but fortunately The Batman stuff isn't something I'm mad about (although I've still not seen the supposedly improved later seasons of it - maybe that'll change my mind!)

D'you still get Taco Bell's??? We had ONE in Central London and I used to love that! Naturally it's gone!

I joined Batman YTB to talk about Golden Age comics, Batman TAS, Why the bloody hell can't the powers that be get their act together and release the 60s TV series on DVD, how cool would it be to have your own Batcave; and my last couple of post have been about Nandos and friggin' Burger King!!!

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 18:30
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I just checked the Burger King website and it looks as though the US locations currently offer toys for that Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar. Those The Batman toys are obviously exclusive to your area, real-dark-knight, so I'd be happy to get some photos if possible. I don't really collect Kid's Meal toys these days, but I use to collect older ones for Batman Returns and BTAS. The ones today are pretty diverse and oftentimes just not the type of items that would look nice in my collection. I'm more a fan of the little pull-n-go vehicles and figures.

Yeah, it might seem silly to be on here talking about food, but what the heck. This is my home on the 'net. B) In fact, I feel like doing a quick tribute to Cheetos...

For the past few months, I've been going through old VHS tapes looking for great commercials from my childhood. I've come across a lot of cartoon Cheetos ads that were quite memorable, and I developed a hunger for the cheesy li'l snacks. Over the weekend, I finally got a bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos, which I haven't had in years, and White Cheddar Puff Cheetos. I forgot how damn addictive they are. No matter how spicy those Flamin' Hots get, I can't stop eating 'em, and the White Cheddar Puffs have an excellent flavor as well. Makes me wish they still made Cheetos Paws, with they're not-too-crunchy, not-too-puffy texture...

I found the Wikipedia page on Cheetos somewhat interesting. They show all the variations past and present as well as those exclusive to certain countries, like Chicken, Hot Dog, and yes, Hamburger flavored. CLICK HERE for a look.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 18:46
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

I need Cheetos and I need them now.

It's quarter to midnight (very Knight time) but I'm going round the supermarket to get some..............

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 18:52
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

I bet I can't these ones............. (From linked Wikipedia page............)

They also come in "Flamin' Hot Cheetos con Limon", which are also flavored with lime.

That sounds good! And an ICE COLD Sprite to wash them down!!

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 19-09-2006 19:38
User Avatar bluebeettle22
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

i never tastes de chedar jalpe?o chettos, damn the crunchy cheettos seems like trash compared to the jalape?os one

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 23-09-2006 21:10
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

To bring us away from food.

Star Wars Episode IV V And VI Two Disk Sets

Anouther one of Lucas' attempts to grab at our wallets, these sets are only availiable until New Years and include two disks; Disk One is the extremly edited edition avaliable in the Four Disk set that was released last year, and Disk Two features the original theatrical edition. Each set is supposed to cost $29.98, a total of $89.94 when bought at once, but you can get all three together for about $53 at http://www.amazon.com/, a wopping three bucks more than their offering Four Disk version.

A lot of crap is foalting around about these sets; the theatrical edition is said to have terribal sound and video quality along with an inferior screen ratio.

The truth is that the video quality is extremely sharp, the aspect ratio is exactly what you get in the theater (almost exactly what the first Batman Begins DVD had), and the sound is wonderful even though it's only Dolby 2.0.

Now the main complaint people have over these sets is that they bought the Four Disk version and are anoyed at shelling out $90 for the theatrical editions and the disks they already have. But for everyone who wants to see the original Star Wars without Lucas' unessisary and, in Empire's case, movie ruining edits; I highly recomend buying these while their available and cheap at Amazon.com.

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 23-09-2006 21:13
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 03:23
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen much for myself yet, but it's good to know the quality is actually pretty good. Apparently, the quality of the Original Trilogy DVD release could have been a lot better if it was in a certain film format, but Lucas evidently ordered to have all of that format destroyed during the '90s. Some archivist had copies of the special format and sent a letter to Lucasfilm about it, but they never replied. I can't find it now, but the ordeal was pretty well detailed on the Wikipedia page for Star Wars.
[url]
http://en.wikiped.../Star_wars[/url]

I have mixed feelings on the Original and Special Edition versions. I like the cleaning up and fixing of inaccuracies (the bad "I think we took a wrong turn" echo, Han's toes holding him on the desert skiff, the matte painting prison hallway, etc.), but messing with the story and creating obnoxious new scenes is going too far (Greedo shooting, the "Jedi Rock" performance, etc.) I'd like to have both versions on DVD but I'm still waiting to see if Lucas will decide to modify the films again for a full Saga Collection box set or something.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 05:41
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

I've got to admit the new versions (or old - depending on how you look at it) have given me a headache. I so don't like doing anything that effectively gives Lucas money.

I really struggle with the fact the person who created the best movie trilogy ever (and Star Wars is my favourite film ever; by a mile!) is about the most dis-likeable, corporate, money grabbing ***** in the whole film industry.

But having said that - guess what? I bought them (again) still.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 07:01
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Wikpedia is excellent - I've just followed Caleson's link, and that in turn has led me to a whole page dedicated to criticisms of Lucas! (but I must admit some of them even I don't agree with)

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 11:18
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I like the Star Wars SE's, I think they add to the film and are for the most part nice. The end of Jedi where they show the cities, and the improvements they made on Cloud City in Empire is nice. I mean, the city is in the Clouds, so why not have windows showing everything??

I've heard rumors though, that there are more addons for Ep IV, a more of a connection to the first three eps.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 13:01
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

My biggest problem of all his edits is that the end of the Empire is spoiled half way through the Special Edition DVD. I also hate how they replaced Sebastain Shaw with Hayden Christiensen in the ending scene of Jedi.

I also don't like them touching up the effects, part of what makes the originals charming in the age of computers and CGI is seeing how they made it back in the day, and so the new effects detract from it's charm in my oppinion.

Calson Wrote: Apparently, the quality of the Original Trilogy DVD release could have been a lot better if it was in a certain film format

Sounds like Lucas. But still the quality of the new DVDs is no where near that of the worst DVDs I have, in fact their some of the best DVDs I have.

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 24-09-2006 13:05
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 13:08
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

real-dark-knight wrote:
I really struggle with the fact the person who created the best movie trilogy ever (and Star Wars is my favourite film ever; by a mile!) is about the most dis-likeable, corporate, money grabbing ***** in the whole film industry.
You might be somewhat right. But I think it also has to do with Lucas' determined, personal vision of the Star Wars Saga. He knows how angry fans are about certain aspects of his Special Edition(s) but doesn't seem to care a bit. It's all about his "final cut" and the previous drafts (including the original) are practically useless artifacts, which is stupid because you can't ignore the fact that changing the actual story angers fans tremendously. Check out his actual quote in the link below.

beyond wrote:
I like the Star Wars SE's, I think they add to the film and are for the most part nice. The end of Jedi where they show the cities, and the improvements they made on Cloud City in Empire is nice.

I've heard rumors though, that there are more addons for Ep IV, a more of a connection to the first three eps.
Yeah, I love those sorts of additions. They really make it seem livelier. A lot of scenes that were spruced up suffered due to time and budget contraints in the original filming, so I found nothing but positives with a lot of them. But then you get the Mos Eisley scene, which went a little too far with the slapstick droids and Jawas...

Here's a list of probably every change in every format of the films. I haven't looked at it yet, but it should be very efficient...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 13:31
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Razhwurz wrote:

I also don't like them touching up the effects, part of what makes the originals charming in the age of computers and CGI is seeing how they made it back in the day, and so the new effects detract from it's charm in my oppinion.

Agreed!

Also, what Caleson said about Lucas' vision is very true - I think he (Lucas) is determined to get what he wants and damn anyone who feels attached to what he originally created. He wants what he wants, and he has the money and power to have it.

I've got NO problem with idea of a director's cut or a special edition DVD - I just think Lucas/Star Wars has gone too far with products/toys/sweets/soundtracks/DVDs/MORE DVDs/stupid potato keyrings etc - and the all round money making spin-offs. I personally find it quite ugly. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I just need to lighten up.

And despite everything I've just said, and all the criticism I throw in Lucas' direction - he still created STAR WARS.

& now I'm going for a pizza.

Edited by real-dark-knight on 24-09-2006 13:59
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 14:51
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

There are two problems with Lucas,

First he is never satisfied with what he's already done, in a few year's he's more than likely to release special editons of all six films, he just dosen't know when to stop and say he's finished.

and the second is that he's greedy. He knows that he made what are probably the most influential movies in history and as long as he repackages them he's going to get money. Anyone else notice that he hasn't made any movies since Indiana Jones; he knows that anything he makes now will never get him as much money as Star Wars can.

And we need to get back to reviewing products before Caleson has to shut down his own thread.

Coke Zero:
It's not that new, but they've still got comercials running and that's good enough for me.

Coca-Cola is one of my favorite beverages, but it has more sugar then I need, and because of the removal of sugar Diet Coke has to heavy a flavour to taste exedingly good to me. What's the solution? Coke Zero; it has the sugar content of Diet Coke, but the improved sugar substitute makes it taste like Cola.

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 24-09-2006 15:49
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 16:33
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Whenever I go to a pizza place I go for an American Hot type job. Spicy, saucy, jalapeno style things. Great stuff. I really like them with a fried egg on top. Plonk it in the middle and it really sets it off. However, when I ask for this now, the waiter/waitress usually looks at me like I'm some sort of Joker (no pun intended).

The lunchtime "eat as much as you like" deals for ?4.99 are a great deal for the pizza restaurants - it looks so tempting, but they make the stuff deep pan so that people don't actually have as much as they think they will before they start. I wonder if it was George Lucas' idea?

I don't really like any kind of Coke except full fat traditional red. I have tried (and quite like) Coca Cola with Lime (in the green bottles). Thats good (but still prefer traditional coke).

Edited by real-dark-knight on 24-09-2006 16:35
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.