Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOWN SQUARE | Everything Else

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 24-09-2006 17:03
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

real-dark-knight Wrote: Whenever I go to a pizza place I go for an American Hot type job.

American Hot? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with that term. But speaking of spicy food; here in the U.S, or at least my state, you can't go to a restaurant to get food I consider spicy unless it's a privatly run restaraunt. What I consider spicy is authentic Indian and Thai spices, but most people in my hometown consider tabasco spicy.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 26-09-2006 01:53
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

As far as the Star Wars ordeal goes, what I'd really like to do is eventually have both Original and Special Editions, get the footage from both on my computer, and basically cut or replace the idiotic, new scenes (Greedo shooting, "Jedi Rock," etc.) with their originals to create my ultimate versions of the films. Hopefully, I can get the right software for such a task and be able to get it all back onto DVDs, but we'll see.

I've never heard of American Hot, so I'm guessing it ain't around here. For spicey food, I usually go for Mexican. We've got a few nice places around here - most, I believe, are privately owned businesses and probably not worth mentioning. But speaking of Mexican, Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme, while not authentic, is pretty damn good. :p

Razhwurz wrote:
And we need to get back to reviewing products before Caleson has to shut down his own thread.
C'mon. Knock off the smart stuff.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 26-09-2006 13:33
User Avatar real-dark-knight
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

American Hot or American Hot One is commonly used title (at least in the UK) for a spicy, meaty pizza. I've got no idea why it's called that, but it's on most pizza menus here.

I loved Taco Bell - we've only ever had one (that I know of), in Central London, and it's gone. I used to go there for dinner after work every Friday evening, then go round the late night CD stores, and then play Pinball til about 1am. Great days! (I remember they had a Batman pinball machine - although that wasnt the one we used to play).

On subject of spicy -Indian restuarants are really common here and it's not hard to find a good one. But I remember the last time I was New York (1994!) I had an Indian meal, it was the most appaling food I've ever tasted. It was rubbish (I even remember where it was, Broadway, round about 60th!). It wasn't just one thing either that was poor, none of it was any good. I remember the lady who owned the place came and sat down and asked why I hadn't eaten anything - she was must've been in her 60s and was quite sweet, I just said I'd ordered even though I wasn't that hungry, I didn't have the heart (or maybe the nerve!) to tell her it was just crap!

It's my dad's birthday today, I'm taking him out for dinner. I'll let you know how the restaurant is!

Edited by real-dark-knight on 26-09-2006 14:14
Message Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 28-09-2006 11:59
User Avatar tomstoyz
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

I read some where that the BK STACKER has over a 1000 calories. That's like eating TWO Big Mac meals at McDonalds! No wonder Americans are so obese! Just thought I'd share that for you ladies here watching your figure, hee hee.

Holy Clogged Arteries, Batman!

Please visit the NEW BAT-BLOG!
http://www.bat-blog.com
http://tomztoyz.blogspot.com/ Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 04-10-2006 20:27
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I know Wal Mart is the source of all commercial evil today, but I had to make a quick post about their pizza. I've had the all-meat pizza a few times, and at roughly 15" around and only $10, pound for pound, that's gotta be the best pizza I've had. And they don't skip on toppings either. You have to bake it a while to get it fully done (since it's so big), but it's good stuff.

On the other hand, I've been wanting to devise a good recipe for homemade pizza. Guess I'll see how that turns out...

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 05-10-2006 18:27
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Maybe it's just me - I'm not a bad cook, but I can't get pizza to taste the way they do when you go to a restaurant - they just never seem to taste as good.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 06-10-2006 01:45
User Avatar Catfan
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

tomstoyz wrote:
I read some where that the BK STACKER has over a 1000 calories. That's like eating TWO Big Mac meals at McDonalds! No wonder Americans are so obese! Just thought I'd share that for you ladies here watching your figure, hee hee.

Holy Clogged Arteries, Batman!

Those BK Stackers can also inflict acid reflux as well. I avoid those!

Located at http://www.catwomanfan.com
The 1965 FBI Tribute site
MySpace: Batman 1969
CatfanBogota Catfan http://catwomanfan.com Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 10-10-2006 22:01
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

X-Men: The Last Stand; Collector's Edition

I'm going to rate three things; the movie, the DVD and the book.

Movie: In one word; great. The past two films were really cool, but two things held them down from being awsome, One: they changed the characters drastically to fit the movie, and Two: They didn't exactly bring anything new to the table story wise. In The Last Stand they set into motion events which made characters closer to their comic forms and, even though most of the plot had already been done before, they showed it in a way that made it cool and new. And you'll remember in the last two films Wolverine was entirely the center of attention; but in this one they shift into a team perspective. And it also manages to have great character interaction. The only flaws I can think of, it was way to short (Mostly Ratner's fault), some mutants had power changes (luckily only one was a main character and the others went un-named) and Scott got way to little attention story wise.

A lot of fans said the movie would suck because a hack director was making it, but luckily all the casting and writing had been done under another director, so the only damage Ratner did was shortening the movie a bit.

DVD:: The Collecor's Edition has only three things that make it differant from the regular edition

1: A second box thet you put the first DVD box in.

2: A bigger price tag.

3: A Collector's book made of three of Stan Lee's favourite X-men comics he wrote, and a never before released comic written by Stan Lee.

The DVD it's self is the same as the regular edition. They brag about 10 deleted scenes and 3 alternate endings; but most of the "Deleted Scene" are actually scenes from the final version of the movie with one or two shots added in. The alternate endings are a lengthened scene, a deleted scene, and an alternate scene. The only "Deleted scene" worth it's weight is the lengthened version of the Jugernaut Vs. Wolverine fight, which shows that they actally cut some shots from the movie to keep consitant with Juggernaut's powers (It showed Wolvie stabbing Juggy, which is impossible as Juggy's invonerable).

Book: it consists of four stories:

1: The first X-men Comic book.

2: The first Comic to feature the Brotherhood of Mutants.

3: A cross over between the X-men and the Avengers.

4: The Unlikely Story of Xavier, Magneto and Stan; a never before printed Stan Lee comic in which he meets Xavier and Magneto.

Whether or not you like this depends on how much of a sixties comic fan you are. I love it because the three early stories give a youngen like me a great window to the sixties, and I find the fourthl story quite funny; it also helps that I'm a fan of Stan Lee's work. Between the three early stories are introductions by Stan himself, Which I like because of Stan's wonderful narrorative skills.

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 10-10-2006 22:02
RE: Chinese or Japanese food... - Posted on 11-10-2006 14:22
User Avatar inzo
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Now this food works for me...
I eat it with a fork...big grin

inzo http://www.picturetrail.com Send Private Message
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 12-10-2006 15:52
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

I think all 3 X-Men films were great. I personally feel the 1st one was the best - but I've no complaints about any. I read X-Men, but I don't know the comics in the same way I do Batman, Superman or Spider-Man, so the changes to characters/group dynamics, I was generally pretty cool with. If anything, the films got me more into the comics (to the point where I went out and bought that monster sized 700 page colour hardback omnibus edition at ?60!)

The 1st time I saw the X3 I was actually slightly disappointed - but I've since warmed to it greatly. I've not yet seen the DVD extras.

Great point Inzo - Japanese Food - now you're really talking! Do you get Wagamamas in the States? I hope you do! If you're going out for food in the town where I live (there's quite a few restaurants), but I don't think you can beat them! Great oriental food, at decent prices (and they have BIG bottles of beer!). Thats my idea of a meal!

Edited by real-dark-knight on 12-10-2006 15:53
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 13-11-2006 12:08
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Two new Limited Editions of Doritos are currently out: Jalapeno Cheddar and Spicy Sweet Chilli. I've tried 'em both, and while some past Doritos have been marginal (Guacamole, for instance) I think these are great. The Chili is similar to barbeque potato chips but sweeter and better flavor, and of course, they're corn chips rather than potato. The Cheddar are like the basic Nacho Cheesier but with just the right amount of spice. Hopefully, these do better than Black Pepper Jack and stay on the market.

Dairy Queen's got their seasonal Pumpkin Pie Blizzard right now, too. Always gotta get me one o' those at least once a year. Smile I've been wanting to try all their seasonal Blizzards. I remember the Valentine's Day one being pretty good...

Edited by Caleson on 13-11-2006 12:09
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 26-11-2006 19:02
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Long time since I've posted on this thread - I thought it had died a death, but it was such random fun, & I've just noticed Caleson's been at it recently...............

SO!

I noticed on the Thanksgiving thread that Razhwurz loves a duck........

Razhwurz wrote:

Anyway, I celebrated wit the usual Pumpkin Pie (PIE!) and a duck dinner, nothing against turkey, I just love duck a lot.

Well this will probably be of no interest to you at all as you're in the US and I'm gonna tell you about a new UK Supermarket dish......... Tesco's duck breast fillets in cracked sea salt are absolutely delicious! My favourite meal at the moment is aforementioned duck fillets (which take about 40 mins on 190c), with special fried rice (from the Chinese takeaway at the end of my road), and a sachet of Blue Dragon lemon sauce poured over the top! Then add hot chilly for taste and voila............ perfect meal.

I remember we also discussed George Lucas extensively on this thread and what a complete ****** he can be - well I caught him on an interview last night on the TV and if I didn't know better I'd have probably even liked him!

Also, re Star Wars - for absolutely ages now I've been going to get the whole set of "Long Time Ago" compilations of Marvel's 80s Star Wars run. I know some people think they're rubbish but I personally loved them. There are 7 of them in total and you can pick them up for about ?15 each here. Anyway, we've got a sports club at work that we all paid subsriptions to - it's now closed. The outstanding balance was divided up equally amongst the members and included in November's pay packet - we got just under ?100 each. I wasn't even aware it closing and it was a total surprise to get the money - so I thought sod it, I'm 'aving 'em, and I did. All 7. Well pleased. Can't wait to read..............
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 27-11-2006 11:13
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

real-dark-knight wrote:
Long time since I've posted on this thread - I thought it had died a death, but it was such random fun, & I've just noticed Caleson's been at it recently...............
Yeah, I never planned it to be one, fluent discussion. Anytime anyone feels like critiquing a new product or restaurant or whatever, but doesn't want to create a new thread, they can post it here.

real-dark-knight wrote:
I remember we also discussed George Lucas extensively on this thread and what a complete ****** he can be - well I caught him on an interview last night on the TV and if I didn't know better I'd have probably even liked him!
I take it you watched that 2-hour show on A&E? I watched most of it and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how I feel about Lucas though. I won't say he's a complete jerk. I respect his vision and all, be he tends to take things too far at times. As for the old Marvel comics, my brother had one of 'em and I thought it was all right. Some of the newer stories by Dark Horse have been tempting, but so far, I haven't boughten any. They seem to do a lot of interesting "What If" stories.

real-dark-knight wrote:Tesco's duck breast fillets in cracked sea salt are absolutely delicious!
I don't think I've ever actually had duck before, and I have no idea what cracked sea salt is, but it sounds strangely delicious. Same goes for the Blue Dragon lemon sauce. Maybe I'll look into that...

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 27-11-2006 17:17
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Caleson - couldnt resist.............

The zesty flavour of lemon juice blended with ginger and a hint of light soy sauce. Simply stir-fry meat or vegetables of your choice add the contents of the sachet and continue stirring until thoroughly heated. Serve with rice or noodles.

Caleson wrote:Some of the newer stories by Dark Horse have been tempting, but so far, I haven't boughten any. They seem to do a lot of interesting "What If" stories.

- Yes, I've been looking at those too. It's just a question of money. I spend too much on comics and stuff as it is, & you've just got to draw the line at times. I'm trying to be more responsible with money and not spend stupidly (and occasionally even save a little! I get tactfully & sweetly nagged by my girlfriend on this subject pretty regularly). I've just wanted those 80s comps for a while - and when I got that unexpected windfall I just couldnt resist any longer.

I don't know what the program was on which Lucas was interviewed - I'm not too sure what A&E is, so I don't think it was that. On one of the satellite BBC Channels there's currently a British Sci-Fi season - so suspect it was something to do with that (I know he's not British so maybe it was something else). He was talking about the impact changing special effects have had on the industry and movie making. I didnt stop on it long - not because I wasn't interested in what he said, but because on scanning thru I think I just found something else more entertaining.

I know I didn't mention when we were all moaning about him a while ago (I think I was quite new to the Batman boards at the time and it just sounded a bit "check me out" type stuff - and it probably still does now! Ha!) - but one of my friends dads was a film director, and he worked very closely with Lucas on a number of films - he liked him (Lucas). He rated him very highly (and I don't mean professionally). We were talking about it recently and I must admit it's quite fascinating to get that inside take on pretty trivial things! Elsewhere on this thread, I've called Lucas allsorts - because of the rip-off money go round that he's turned my favourite film ever into (with the coup de gr?ce being those bloody stupid Stormtrooper potato keyrings). However; he still originally envisioned & then created a fantasy universe that's totally unrivalled in film - but I guess there's also a side to him that the likes of me aren't privy to .......
Edited by real-dark-knight on 27-11-2006 18:16
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 17-12-2006 17:57
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Time for some restaurant critiquing...

I went to Long John Silver's the other day to try the resurrected Buttered Lobster Bites. I'd never had lobster before and it all sounded delicious. Unfortunately, it wasn't much different from shrimp; in fact, shrimp probably would've been better. They were very small, had a typical seafood flavor that was slightly similar to shrimp, and had just a tiny bit of butter flavor in the breading. Nothing worth getting again.

I also tried the new Parmesan Crusted Fish Bites as well as the Jalapeno Cheddar Bites. The fish had no parmesan flavor at all and just had that basic seafood flavor. The Jalapeno Bites were actually good, however - similar to jalapeno poppers with cheese sauce instead of cream cheese.

Trying all the new items was upsetting, but as a combo meal, it was good. I think I'll stick to the Long John basics like shrimp, chicken, hush puppies, and those triangle fish pieces. That stuff never disappoints.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 11-01-2007 13:11
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Well it's post-Christmas, and I've gotten a chance to listen to all of my new CDs, so here are some reviews for any hard rock/heavy metal fans out there...

Army of Anyone ? self-titled (2006)
I'd really been looking forward to this release. The new "supergroup," consisting of the DeLeo brothers formerly of Stone Temple Pilots, as well as Richard Patrick of Filter, had me with their first single "Goodbye." The record opens with the amazing "It Doesn't Even Matter," an excellent preview of what's to come. It also includes a philosophically hopeful serenade in "Stop Look And Listen" and a great acoustic piece to wrap things up. I was disappointed not to see "Used To Know Her" included, which was available on their MySpace page, but this record doesn't a perfectly fine job without it.

It's great to see the DeLeo brothers finding a new project to pour their creative guitar work into and Patrick's vocals, while highly distinct on their own, are sometimes even reminiscent of Scott Weilend. Any fan of STP and/or Filter should enjoy this self-title release - no question.

Fuel ? Natural Selection (2003)
I?d already heard a bundle of songs off this record and was confident in its greatness. Oddly enough, the intro song has an overly distorted guitar that makes the vocals almost like background sound but is otherwise catchy. Tracks like "Million Miles" and "Bring You Hell" have a gripping, high-impact sound while "Running Away" feature a great groove and passionate vocals. Of course, "prettier" tracks like "Falls On Me" are great as well.

All the way through, it's a pretty solid record with many memorable tracks. While I'd probably still consider 1999's Something Like Human my favorite Fuel record, this one is definitely worth the purchase and a good note for their vocalist, Brett Scallions, to leave on.

Pearl Jam ? self-titled (2006)
While I'd enjoyed their first two singles, the war protesting "World Wide Suicide" and "Life Wasted," my high expectations of Pearl Jam made me hesitant to give this a listen. I won't say it's "back to the old sound," but after giving it a few listens, I've come to find this a perfectly welcome addition to the collection that has a definite Pearl Jam style. Opening the record is "Life Wasted," which appears to serve as its flagship song; the video emulates the album artwork and a "Wasted Reprise" is introduced later in the record.

"Unemployable" is easily one of the catchiest and greatest songs with a very radio-friendly and bright sound. As well, tracks like "Gone" and "Army Reserve" offer more sober and dark tone. This self-titled record may serve as a slight return to the hard-edged Pearl Jam and should be well accepted by any grudge loving fan.

Tool ? 10,000 Days (2006)
As much as I love Tool, this was the last Christmas CD I listened to. I guess I was just afraid of it being highly experimental and strange. And I didn't care for the single "Vicarious" at first, but it grew on me a lot as did "The Pot." Unfortunately, after listening through the record twice with just a little breathing room between, nothing really stuck out as great to me other than those two singles. It sounds like a direct sequel to Lateralus with the same twirly and grooving guitar style which sounds just fine. But with over an hour of music, including several tracks over 6 minutes and two 11-minute tracks, it doesn't seem to cover much new ground or have many truly distinct songs.

As a side note, my copy was previously used. I definitely won't be getting rid of it, hoping that I'll like the record the more I listen. I hate to compare this to past releases, like the innovative and amazing Aenima but as of now, I'm somewhat disappointed with Tool's highly anticipated record.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 14-01-2007 12:57
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

I haven't gotten my hands on Army of Anyone yet, but I've heard a song of their's, and, while I did enjoy it, the lyrics were repeatetive and the drummer is dissapointing for someone looking for a Kretz calibur drummer.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 07-02-2007 17:17
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

On the food turf, there are new, Limited Edition Honey Mustard Pringles chips in stores now. We got a couple cans the other day and they're pretty good. They aren't overly packed with flavor and have just the right amount. Might wanna try some soon, as they may not last long.

Razhwurz wrote:
I haven't gotten my hands on Army of Anyone yet, but I've heard a song of their's, and, while I did enjoy it, the lyrics were repeatetive and the drummer is dissapointing for someone looking for a Kretz calibur drummer.
I know what you mean about lyrics. Well, it's not that I find Patrick's writing repetitive but just bland at times. He uses a lot of "yeah" and just makes bad rhymes at times, but Army of Anyone seems largely clean of any of that. As for the drumming, the introduction is nice, but I can't recall anything off hand that really sticks out on the record. But I still wouldn't say it was disappointing.

By the way, I'm enjoying 10,000 Days a bit more now. It's definitely less angry and intense as their previous records, with a lot of slow paced songs, but it features lots of nice guitar work. I'm also loving the aforementioned Pearl Jam and Natural Selection. Definitely great records to have in the collection.

I also recently got Revis's one and only record Places for Breathing, Ill Nino's Confession, and Smile Empty Soul's self-titled debut pretty cheap off eBay.

Some of the Revis tracks are too similar to one another, but I enjoy the whole record quite a bit. You may remember its single "Caught in the Rain" from early 2003. Other highlights include "Revolver," "Everything After," and "Seven." They include some nice guitar work similar to that of Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave) but perhaps in a less funky and more serious or passionate setting. The whole record has a bit of a rainy, gray-skied feel to it yet has times of both joy and sadness and connects with me somehow. While it's not monumental, I am disappointed the band split up after this debut.

Ill Nino's Confession features a decent amount of great radio-friendly songs like "This Time's for Real" and "How Can I Live" as well as more intense and hardcore tracks. On the downside, the songwriting can get incredibly bland at times and include unnecessary cursing, and a few songs aren't very distinct from one another. However, their signature Spanish guitar and percussion interludes make the group really stand out in today's metal scene. It even includes a Spanish version of "How Can I Live," which is quite fun to hear. The aforementioned songs, as well as "When it Cuts," are some of my favorites and make this a worthy buy.

I still haven't worked up the courage to listen to my Smile Empty Soul CD. I've sampled quite a few tracks before buying it for a mere dollar and have to say that several were very disappointing, seemingly written by an angry 13-year old. A few tracks stick out (in a good way) like "Radio in a Hole" and the overplayed single "Bottom of a Bottle," but I doubt I'll ever want to hear the singles again anyway. Hopefully, it isn't too bad a record and I can get some use out of it.

RE: Critique Food & Other Products - Posted on 02-10-2007 14:53
Caped Crusader

Awards:
Medal 
Admin

Do you guys get Onken Yoghurts? Man, you gotta check out their Strawberry Biopot - yum bloomin' yum!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.