Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOWN SQUARE | Everything Else

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 31-08-2009 15:12
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

My spirit is far too crushed to write an entire post. So I'll just link to the Superhero Hype Article.

My god... this is the worst comic book news since Batman died. Hell, this is worse than that. I mean there's still a chance Disney will be respectful to Marvel's managment, but I wouldn't bet on it. It looks like this is the end of characters like Wolverine. And definitly the end of good Marvel movies. The only reason we got Incredible Hulk and Iron Man was because of Marvel's managment had trust in Norton and Favreau, but with Disney in charge there is no way they are taking risks.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 31-08-2009 15:14
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 31-08-2009 16:17
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

It may not be that bad. Yes Disney is known for animated toons, but they also mad Pirates, Narnia, and National Treasure. Now those might not be what you call great films, but they are far better than some of the others out there. Granted, I can't see Disnet produce a Punsher film, but then again, who knows.

Time will tell...

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 31-08-2009 17:50
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Remember back in the 90s when X-men had that Legacy Virus story that was a metaphor for AIDS? Do you honestly think Disney will allow Marvel to do such things?

Marvel is responsible for making comic books relevant. They took mainstream comic books out of kiddy land and marketed it to teens and adults. Disney is going to rembrand it so they can market it towards kids.

And I know that the Pirates movies were PG-13. But it was light PG-13, no blood, no obscenities. Just fantasy violence and light inudendo. That's as far as Disney is willing to go.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 01-09-2009 11:13
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

The only thing Disney has to do is pick up the $$ they get from all the
Marvel entities, not go to the Marvel Offices and Studios and stick their noses into everything that Marvel is doing....Disney even said they wanted to get the guy demographic and the best way to do that is LEAVE THE COMIC BOOKS AND MOVIES ALONE!!!
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 01-09-2009 11:46
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Marvel was broke. They fund their own movies and while Spider-man and Iron Man did very well, The Hulk did not. Marvel wants to do several separate films then tie the main characters into an Avengers film. Thor is next up, but if The Hulk and The Punisher both failed what hope is there for Thor, who nobody knows or cares about.

Then there is Captain America and what happens to him. Spider-man, Iron Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four and such are set in present day, but Captain America is best set in the 40’s fighting Nazi’s. Is Disney going to do a film with Nazi’s?

Disney does own other brands that do more adult stuff so we can expect more PG-13 and maybe even some light R stuff coming from those outlets. So I don’t think the movies will be affected that much, except Disney may cancel a few of them Marvel wanted to do.

What about the theme parks? Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando has a Marvel area with rides and gift shops. Does Walt Disney World then open up Comic Book Land to compete? Does Universal have to rebrand the rides and attractions?

I can’t wait to buy a Mickey Mouse figure in a Punisher outfit.

RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 01-09-2009 15:55
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

FlaBat wrote:
Marvel was broke. They fund their own movies and while Spider-man and Iron Man did very well, The Hulk did not. Marvel wants to do several separate films then tie the main characters into an Avengers film. Thor is next up, but if The Hulk and The Punisher both failed what hope is there for Thor, who nobody knows or cares about.

Then there is Captain America and what happens to him. Spider-man, Iron Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four and such are set in present day, but Captain America is best set in the 40’s fighting Nazi’s. Is Disney going to do a film with Nazi’s?

Disney does own other brands that do more adult stuff so we can expect more PG-13 and maybe even some light R stuff coming from those outlets. So I don’t think the movies will be affected that much, except Disney may cancel a few of them Marvel wanted to do.

What about the theme parks? Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando has a Marvel area with rides and gift shops. Does Walt Disney World then open up Comic Book Land to compete? Does Universal have to rebrand the rides and attractions?

I can’t wait to buy a Mickey Mouse figure in a Punisher outfit.

That is a good point, Marvel really needs good financial back-up, and Disney has a load of money.

If this all ends up like the Warner/DC relationship I'll be happy. I'm just worried Disney will try to rebrand Marvel in their own image.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 02-09-2009 16:53
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Here's something I posted on the subject on another site...

So... Now techinically DC is the top in all of comic books because technically it's the only comic book publisher alone away from other entertainment companies, other than WB and Legendary Pictures which are ONLY used in movies/shows, etc.

Obviously, Marvel will have a new feel.

So it's going to be like one of these types of companies now...

-Disney might just help them out with special effects in films. I could imagine that in Iron Man and Hulk films.
-Everything is going to be simulair to those Jack Sparrow (the books with him as a kid) books with the feel.
-More like legends, imagine Hulk from TIH (2008) doing the Hulk smash pose in front of clean mountains in the end of a forest with the lake and everything.
-No heads getting chopped off and getting put back on it's neck (Deadpool in Wolverine), no cussing beyond the b word/s, no nudity (I don't mind that not being in the films), more simple story sinarios like Smallville's first season, you get the idea...
-A very very cheesy 90s comic book feel like when you glance at a cover of a comic that has the version of Cyclops from X-Men TAS.

The only Marvel films that could be turned into a Disney film easier than the rest are just the Spider-Man movie series I think. Btw, Disney is now responsible for that first Punisher film with all the nudity and cussing and killing. XD

Oh yeah, I wanted to point this out, this is everything Disney owns at this moment.

Marvel
Marvel Entertainment
ABC Family
ABC
Disney Channel
Disney XD
Jetix
Pixar
California Adventure
Disney World
Disney Land
Lucas Films which includes...
Star Wars
Indiana Jones

And that's all. It's a ton. Man, Walt Disney would be amazed about the profit but... The whole thing destroys what he stood for (originality, icons, etc).

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 02-09-2009 17:03
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

When did Lucas sell Star Wars? That's his baby. Disnet does some Star Wars themes at the parks, but Lucas owns them. Paramonut actually owns the rights to Indiana Jones. Disney just has some IJ themes.

Here is the whole list of what they own.

ABC, ABC Family, ABC Kids, Walt Disney Distribution, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Disney Channel, ESPN, Jetix, Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Walt Disney Television Animation, Walt Disney Records, Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Miramax Films, ABC Studios, Playhouse Disney, Disney Consumer Products, Pixar, Soapnet, Disney Interactive Studios, Muppets Holding Company, Disney Store, Toon Disney, New Horizon Interactive.

Edited by Chris on 02-09-2009 17:09
BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 02-09-2009 18:33
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Chris - You're right. I got confused.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 02-09-2009 18:34
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Chris - You're right. I got confused.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 02-09-2009 21:23
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Helping with visual effects? lol Disney doesn't do it's own effects. They go to Industrial Light & Magic, the company that already does the Iron Man effects.

Industrial Light & Magic is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is a privately owned company. They actually do special effects for a ton of companies other than Disney, including Warner Bros. and Paramount.

R.I.P. Heath
RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 03-09-2009 23:09
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I know. It's just something from the top of my mind.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: SSH: Disney to Acquire Marvel for $4 Billion - Posted on 04-09-2009 17:15
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

The problem with a deal like this is that they give the main creative control of the party that buys them. For DC this isn't a problem because for the most part WB doesn't do much to the comic books and in the movies they have producers like Charles Roven who are savy with the characters and know to treat them with respect.

The big fear with Disney is that they won't let Marvel keep creative control and will try to hard to alter the company.

R.I.P. Heath
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.