Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOWN SQUARE | Everything Else

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Any Vegans or Vegetarians? - Posted on 08-08-2010 20:39
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Last Monday, after a job interview, I ate at an Indian vegetarian buffet out of curiosity. While it wasn't excellent, I enjoyed most of the food and it got me thinking, maybe I should go not just vegetarian, but strictly vegan, for one whole week. This would present three challenges:

For one, the temptation of meat and dairy would be ever-present, but I think I've got strong enough will power for that. And foods like oatmeal, potatoes, and peanut butter are quite filling.

Secondly, how would this affect me physically? On one hand, not getting as much protein might make me tired. On the other, digestion would probably be easier and the reduction of salt and fats might actually allow more energy than usual.

Lastly, and likely the hardest part, would be avoiding all foods that contain animal products. I've researched enough already to know that any vegan needs some margin here; new strange ingredient names and numbers pop up all the time and it's just not worth learning them all. Even the semi trucks that transport foods, vegan or not, are manufactured with animal products (tires and steel are made with fats - no foolin'!).

Anyhow, if anyone has an experience with this lifestyle, I'd be happy to hear about it. I have no intention of going vegan for life; a guy as slim as me needs his meat & diary. I'm simply a big culinary enthusiast and thought this would be a fun experiment.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Any Vegans or Vegetarians? - Posted on 15-08-2010 21:08
User Avatar cdemink
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Aside from the occasional spaghetti dinner here or there I haven't had red meat since the mid-90's. It's probably longer than that since I've eaten sausage. I'd like to eventually give up chicken but it's so hard given my budget. You know? To do away with tuna would also be near impossible but then again, it's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings (right?).

I know a lot of vegans and vegetarians out here in LA. The best thing to do is make sure you're getting your protein so you don't get some kinda protein deficiency and like any kind of diet or lifestyle change, try it out slowly. Don't jump in head first on the off-chance that something about it disagrees with your physiology.

Good luck and lemme know how it goes!

"Yes I do believe there is a violent thing inside of me."
http://www.batmanytb.com/comics/ Send Private Message
RE: Any Vegans or Vegetarians? - Posted on 14-08-2011 18:59
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

cdemink wrote:
It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings (right?).

Spoken like a true '90s guy. rolleyes

I don't plan on ever actually going vegan or vegetarian permanently; I'm mainly just interested in cooking and nutrition and thought it would be a fun challenge. One week of pure veganism actually sounds pretty easy considering all the great dishes I could make. I'd probably have to focus on starchy, carb-heavy staples like potatoes in order to feel full after meals.

A few months after I came up with my 1-week concept, Oprah did the exact same thing on her show with her staff. I know one guy lost 10lbs, but I never did get to see the episode. I have yet to try it myself because I want to have my brother and his girlfriend participate and see how we're all affected.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.