Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOWN SQUARE | Everything Else

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Static Shock Forum - Posted on 21-08-2010 18:32
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Anybody other than me remember Static Shock? It's what got me here (into superheroes) and I have never found a proper place to talk about the show but here is close enough. I've been rewatching episodes and saw some flaws as well as strange YouTube comments such as Dwayne McDuffie apparently saying that if he could have, he would have had an episode where Gear is gay. I thought that was odd so do any of you know if that's true? The ear ring was on the wrong ear if it is x) So anyways, talk anything Static here. His original comics, recent interpretations such as him joining the Titans (reminds me I need to read that again) or your ideal movie cast for him, etc.

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 21-08-2010 19:07
User Avatar matt the bat webb
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

...static and gear are both gay, gear is a glorified gizmo from teen titans and static is a crappy black lightining, thats all i have to say about that

the greatest victorys are won with your mind, then your body
randommattwebb Send Private Message
RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 21-08-2010 19:53
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I was bored and I love to make up movie casts so here's mine for an idea: "Static."

Virgil Hawkins/Static - Tyler James Williams
Frieda Goren - Shailene Woodley
Richie Foley (future Gear) - Martin Spanjers
Adam Evans (future Rubberband Man) - Lee Thompson Young
Sharon Hawkins - Kyla Pratt
Robert Hawkins - Tyler Perry
Francis Stone/Hot Streak (ideal main villain) - Kyle Gallner

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 21-08-2010 19:55
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

matt the bat webb wrote:
...static and gear are both gay, gear is a glorified gizmo from teen titans and static is a crappy black lightining, thats all i have to say about that
Static is more of a young modern day Black Lightning if your going to compare him to him...

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 00:39
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

sorry i compare static to crap

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 01:11
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

What about him do you hate so much? His story reminds me of fantasizing about being a hero when I was little. It all has reason behind it and the HQ is an abandoned gas station which is very cool and realistic... The episodes are a lot of fun and the villains are uniquie.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 15:47
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

matt the bat webb wrote:

Matt, please lay off the rude comments man.

On subject, I never could get into the show. The characters never really seemed to be fully fleshed out to me for some reason. But I was really impressed on how effectivly they were able to use the show to speak about racism.

And I don't see whats so odd about a show that combats discrimination on a regular bassis revealing a character is gay. With how effective the show was as a soapbox for anti-racism, it would have been great if they could do political commentary on gay-phobia.

I say it's about damn time we got over gay-phobia and we introduced a mainstream gay superhero. I don't mean mainstream as in a supporting character like Batwoman or Northstar. I mean a leading hero with his/her own comic, cartoon and movie series.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 22-08-2010 15:50
RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 16:12
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I'm Christian so I don't really try to encourge gay behavior but I'd be fine with a character that is. Not like Gear tho who has hung around the main superhero who happens to be another guy through out the whole story. It's worst enough they would wait so long to tell us. No matter if your for or against it, revealing the second main character is gay after years of him apparently being straight changes the feel of the series for a while.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 16:20
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

The Red-Blue Blur wrote:
I'm Christian so I don't really try to encourge gay behavior but I'd be fine with a character that is. Not like Gear tho who has hung around the main superhero who happens to be another guy through out the whole story. It's worst enough they would wait so long to tell us. No matter if your for or against it, revealing the second main character is gay after years of him apparently being straight changes the feel of the series for a while.

Not to get into a religous debate, but I happen to be Christian too. Christianity doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with condemning gay people. There are a lot of things that are in the bible that are out of touch with modern society (such as people being banished from civilization if you have sex during a woman's period, or killing a child if they are molested by a parent.)

But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. As long as you don't activily seek out opression of others, then I have no qualms with your beliefs.

Anyway, back on subject. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I did really like Future Static in the JLU time travel episodes.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 17:54
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Razhwurz wrote:
The Red-Blue Blur wrote:

Not to get into a religous debate, but I happen to be Christian too. Christianity doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with condemning gay people. There are a lot of things that are in the bible that are out of touch with modern society (such as people being banished from civilization if you have sex during a woman's period, or killing a child if they are molested by a parent.)

But I guess it's all a matter of opinion. As long as you don't activily seek out opression of others, then I have no qualms with your beliefs.

Anyway, back on subject. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I did really like Future Static in the JLU time travel episodes.
I hear that a lot about your beliefs. I'm guessing your a New Age Christian? I liked the future Static a lot too. There was one Static Shock episode you might remember where Static went into the future in a Batman Beyond crossover and he saw the future him (which happens to be a different design than the one in JLU which I thought was cool since I do prefer the future him).

Static/Beyond Future Static

JLU/Static Future Static

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 22-08-2010 17:57
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

So what do you guys have ideas for casting? I love looking at fan casts in my free time.

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 05-09-2010 17:26
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

There's an upcoming 2011 Static series!
http://robot6.com...-in-2011/ "God bless everyone!" Smile I can't wait for this...

[Alfred Pennyworth]

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 05-09-2010 19:33
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

srry about the comments, and its not that i hate static shock so much, but i dont think d.c. needed to make a new "hip" black lightning....and your link is not going threw on my computer what site is this on? oh and mabey its the idea of how he was introduced to me...i speak of ignorance on this

RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 05-09-2010 21:00
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Static Shock was a character from Milestone comics. Milestone was published by DC Comics. DC merged with Milestone and has used some of the characters.

Long story short, DC didn't create him and he has proven to be real popular in the comics and his series lasted for 4 seasons.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Static Shock Forum - Posted on 05-09-2010 21:30
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

....again i speak of ignorance....but i do see your point and can understand why some would like him..hes just not for me

Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.