Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TELEVISION NETWORK | Batman TV Shows

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 09-11-2005 02:43
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

Now the 1966 Batman series and movie are considered as a whole, but they shouldn't be. In my mind; the '66 movie is superior to the '66 show for reasons I believe you fans can believe.

In the '66 show, there was comedy and mocking of the character and source material of Batman. From stupid traps, to an episode where food came out of the Bat-Computer as a clue for the case, to another episode that focused on Batman's BIRTHDAY?????!!!!! That show might have saved the Batman comics from cancellation, but from what I said it isn't anything that was "GREAT"!

However there's the '66 movie. Now in the film, Batman & Robin face four of their rogues gallery who have stolen a powerful weapon and uses it on the U.N. From that plot, that ain't anything cheesy. That is serious which is what Batman and comic book stories are despite the fact that Batman was light in this.

The movie had things from the papers at the time like Vietnam (not actually but close), love between Bruce and Kitka/Catwoman which was from Bruce as a bachelor, to a movie that had seriousness than just slap stick comedy. Comparing that to the show, the film is far better. You could feel the idea of the relationship between Brcue and Kitka as something that should happen even though you know she's a villian.

Now, what do you guys think? Do you like the film than the show for the same reasons I stated? Or do you like the comedy of the show and not with me on the film? Or do you like both of them, or hate them?

You decide and post with your thoughts on this too.

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 11-11-2005 14:51
User Avatar Gothamite
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I suppose the movie is better because the jokes are funnier, but I still hate both.

ROBIN: Wow, Batman! I can't believe we escaped from that treacherous torpedo!

BATMAN: Yes, Robin. But if not for the sacrifice of that heroic seal, who bravely swam in the way of that torpedo, our lives would be lost.

In the shadows I saw my destiny...
I would seek justice...
I would have my revenge...
gothamite27@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 11-11-2005 15:45
User Avatar Detective
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I caught the last half of the movie one day. I didn't really notice it being any more serious than the show; like how Batman couldn't throw the bomb into the water because of the ducks, don't get me wrong, I love animals, but that scene should have never happend. The only thing I can remember it being serious with is when Batman discovers Catwoman's idenity, and he became disappointed. Of course, I didn't see all of the movie *shrug*.

RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 11-11-2005 16:56
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

I thought you said you liked it before, Gothamite. Oh well...

I suppose the movie has some slightly more serious concepts, but while I agree that seriousness is better, does that necessarily make it better to everyone? A lot of people praise the TV series because of its silliness. In this case, judging two very silly takes on Batman, I just don't have a strong urge to try and decide which is better in terms of seriousness. He still ran around with a bomb over his head and beat off a big plastic shark. The style of the '60s was evident when the ambassadors at the UN turned into pastel shades when dehydrated.

I think most people consider the TV show to be better, maybe simply because it's what started the whole thing. I haven't watched the movie in how long, but I consider it right with the series, not really better or worse.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 12-11-2005 10:18
User Avatar Gothamite
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Caleson wrote:
I thought you said you liked it before, Gothamite. Oh well...

Must have been smokin' something truly extreme if I said that...

I would seek justice...
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 12-11-2005 10:41
User Avatar Phil
Vigilante

Awards:
Medal 

lol. i like the old adam west stuff. its so funny. i also like seeing batman do random stuff for 1 second on family guy..haha those episodes are the best.

i really liek the batmobile for some reason..i think its cool. maybe im weird, lol.

haha, do u remember teh shark repellent. omg, i was laughing so hard. i always wondered why batman's leg never fell off. lol. "ROBIN! HAND ME THE SHARK REPELLENT!!!"

http://batmanytb.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=4
Ph1L Cho Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 13-11-2005 15:53
User Avatar Gothamite
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

For some reason, the shark repellant never had me laughing. It really was that crack about the 'brave seal' that had me crying on the floor with laughter. That sounded like something they would have said on Anchorman (funniest movie ever made, period).

I would seek justice...
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 22-11-2005 16:44
User Avatar elvis
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

i like them both although i have see only the film more than once and are very little things from the tv show that i rember but thta still are great!!

RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 23-11-2005 15:14
User Avatar batman60s
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I prefer the series but the movie is still cool!
http://www.batman1966.co.nr Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 30-12-2005 12:29
User Avatar crisis
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Phil wrote:
lol. i like the old adam west stuff. its so funny. i also like seeing batman do random stuff for 1 second on family guy..haha those episodes are the best.

i really liek the batmobile for some reason..i think its cool. maybe im weird, lol.

haha, do u remember teh shark repellent. omg, i was laughing so hard. i always wondered why batman's leg never fell off. lol. "ROBIN! HAND ME THE SHARK REPELLENT!!!"

I LOVE THE BATMOBILE!
the shark repelent is awesome but i still like the brave seal thing gothamite.

What?
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 30-12-2005 15:02
User Avatar Gothamite
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

The Batmobile is very cool, I'll admit to that. That said, even though it's a nice little car, it doesn't have the larger-than-life presence that the Keaton Batmobile or the Tumbler have.

Batman has used the 1966 Batmobile in the modern age comics a few times and a future version of Superman threatened to crush him with it, one time.

I would seek justice...
Edited by Gothamite on 31-12-2005 10:43
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 30-12-2005 15:29
User Avatar crisis
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

yeah. i remember that

What?
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 26-01-2006 15:31
User Avatar batboy99
W. Tech. Manager

Awards:
None

Gothamite wrote:
The Batmobile is very cool, I'll admit to that. That said, even though it's a nice little car, it doesn't have the larger-than-life presence that the Keaton Batmobile or the Tumbler have.

Batman has used the 1966 Batmobile in the modern age comics a few times and a future version of Superman threatened to crush him with it, one time.
wasnt that in superman/batman?

Batman YTB is the best site on the net!
batboy_1999@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 26-01-2006 21:41
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I'm pretty sure it was, but I don't have that issue (S/B had terrible distribution around here until issue #16 or so). It also appeared in the mini series "City of Light" in a store room full of old Batman equipment.
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 26-01-2006 22:20
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

The one thing I wonder is why the Batman The Movie is n DVD, but the TV show has never had Season Box Sets.

Neither the TV show nor the Movie were very serious. I love this show because I watched it as a kid. In fact most of the TV shows from the 60?s were fun and innocent in a way we will never see again. How did Hogan?s Heroes make Nazi?s funny? Is it me or was TV better when we only had 3 channels?

Lee Meriwether played The Catwoman rather than Julie Newmar was about the only thing that made the Movie different. The camp was still the same and the sets still the same. The Movie allowed them to build the Batboat and Batcopter because of the added budget, so the TV benefited from the Movie.

I just wish we could get Season Box sets. Batman was such a huge TV show. In a time when there were Movie Stars and TV Stars, but not one actor who was both, it was huge. Some of the biggest stars of the day made guest appearances and cameos on the show. For that alone it should be released to DVD/Video. Maybe one day it will.

RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 27-01-2006 02:21
User Avatar Gothic Joker
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Although I get in a mood most of the time when i just can't stand to watch the 1960's Batman series i also am greatful that it exists due to the fact it kept our hero alive.

I also like to watch the movie when i'm sick(AND AFTER A 2 YEAR BREAK FROM WATCHING IT) because some times if i'm in a silly mood, i enjoy it.

Joker *jljoker*, Riddler:confused???::, Catwoman *tbcatwoman* and Penguin ::thepenguin::

thats my dream team up :rol:

Light a man a fire and you'll keep him warm a night... light him on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
www.freewebs.com/scottjalexander Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 28-01-2006 01:49
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Gothic Riddler wrote:
Joker *jljoker*, Riddler:confused???::, Catwoman *tbcatwoman* and Penguin ::thepenguin::

thats my dream team up :rol:
That's pretty funny how you lined them up like that. The style is just so different from back then.

I agree, there's no way a TV series that popular couldn't make it to DVD sets eventually. I'm practically anticipating it's release.

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 28-01-2006 06:54
User Avatar Tim Drake
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Ok I do see some pretty good differences between the movie and show but I think they were both great. The way Adam West wanted to portray Batman in during that time can most definatley seem cheesy and funny at times to us but I hand it to Adam West since he took the role very seriously and never found himself funny on the show...I thought the funniest part in the movie was when he was tryin to get rid of the bomb, the whole restaurant cleared out except for the two fat ladies that just kept eating, and then him constantly running into the woman w/ her baby, the two nuns, the ducks, etc. ROFL!!!:lol:

"Look, I never wanted this for myself...but I wanted Batman and Robin back together the way they should be. And if Dick won`t become Robin again...Someone else has to!" - Tim Drake, A LONELY PLACE OF DYING Chapter five: Rebirth
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 28-01-2006 08:05
User Avatar Blackwing
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I actuallly preferred the series. The movie was good, but to me, I would prefer to have a marathon of Batman episodes than watch just the Batman movie.
tjordonlz tjellzey91@yahoo.com Send Private Message
RE: Batman (1966): The Movie or The Show? - Posted on 22-09-2009 15:17
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I love both the movie and the series and you really couldn't have a two episode treatment of the all of Batman's arch enemies kidnapping the United World Security Council so that was a good storyline for the movie and I think that would have only worked in a 2 hr movie.

However, you have to agree some of the contraptions that the villians had the Dynamic Duo in were just goofy; Mr. Freeze turning them into sno-cones, Chandel turning them into a player piano roll, Bookwork tying Robin to the clapper of a bell and my personal favorite was when the Joker tried to turn into surfboards.

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me'-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.