Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TELEVISION NETWORK | Batman TV Shows

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Looking for 1966 batman on dvd - Posted on 09-01-2010 22:53
User Avatar jpharrah
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

I found this online seems like a good offer for 85 dollars....

however im not willing to purchase something until i know the set m buying is of good video quality.. unfortunately that site doesnt allow for comments on the product.

has anyone found any sets that look REALLY GOOD.. or should i just wait .. is the series going to officially be released anytime soon?
Edited by Chris on 10-01-2010 03:57
RE: Looking for 1966 batman on dvd - Posted on 10-01-2010 00:54
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

jpharrah wrote:
http://www.ioffer...127027097

I found this online seems like a good offer for 85 dollars....

however im not willing to purchase something until i know the set m buying is of good video quality.. unfortunately that site doesnt allow for comments on the product.

has anyone found any sets that look REALLY GOOD.. or should i just wait .. is the series going to officially be released anytime soon?

This site DOES NOT endorse the sale or purchasing of pirated goods.

However... Ahem... if I were to give you advice I'd say to try and wait for an official release. I know it's difficult to wait with something like this, but you can really get burned with quality on pirate DVDs.

Plus, whoever made that set probably transfered it from a digital source. Meaning it's probably a bunch of trumped un DVD-RWs.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 10-01-2010 01:02
RE: Looking for 1966 batman on dvd - Posted on 11-01-2010 11:03
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

Raz is right jp...a friend of mine got me a set of the TV show for my birthday a few years back from of all places a STAR TREK CONVENTION and not only is quality poor (but watchable) you can see th logos of FX and TVLAND in the corner of the screen...There are even some voice overs from the TVLAND episodes telling people to stay tuned to find out what happens.

That is what you call living and learning
RE: Looking for 1966 batman on dvd - Posted on 11-01-2010 12:58
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

It depends on what you are expecting when you get them.
As the shows haven't been released officially, ALL copies are pirated. I picked up a cheap one a good while back, claiming it was legit (before I knew better). It is wasn't.

The episodes are OK and give a taste of the show, when I want to see it, and episodes I either
haven't seen or haven't seen in a LONG time. As such, they work. They are a functional stop-gap till the lawyers of the various parties involved in the show work out a deal to allow the release. The release of the show's Batmobile gives me hope that the legal wrangling can be overcome! I hope it is soon.
The ones you referenced MAY be better, as they claim. Still, they are pirated releases of copyright material, and technically illegal.

IF it ever gets released officially, I'll snatch those up ASAP. I hope they do it sooner rather than later. That way, fans can get copies w/o being forced to resort to such copies.
An official release would resolve ALL questions like this thread brings up . . .

Sum Nox!
RE: Looking for 1966 batman on dvd - Posted on 10-04-2010 20:43
User Avatar brucebatman3
Gotham’s Newest Citizen

Awards:
None

Well, as for the 66 series being released, it won't be released any time soon, here's what tvshowsondvd.com says on the topic:
"For years now there have been fans wanting the "Adam West Batman" television series on DVD. As each year goes along with no sign of a release, rumors swirl over the internet about why it's not out, and about various schemes to solve the problem and get it released. We've gotten tons of e-mails since yesterday about the newest info, about a plan that is supposed to resolve the rights issue and get the series put out on DVD. It's posted at Comic Book Resources, and we thank all of our readers - starting with Daniel Hughes - who wrote in to make sure we saw it. We want to let those readers know that we did see it (so no more e-mails, please; thanks!), and talk - very thoroughly! - about everything that's holding up the program from coming to home video. It's significantly more than CBR indicates...but the "plan" (is that the right word?) they describe may yet have some merit to leap one of the biggest hurdles hold things up.

Basically the story posted there yesterday concerns recent news of a lawsuit that 20th Century Fox filed back in February, over Warner Bros. Picture's upcoming theatrical film of The Watchmen. This movie is based on the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons comic books (and later a graphic novel collection) of the same name that was originally released by DC Comics in the late '80s. DC, like Warner Bros. Pictures, is owned by Time Warner. ComicBookResources.com's story, which they feel "is the real deal, junior" (based on the "green traffic light" pictured next to their write-up), exclusively brings their readers the word that Fox brought the legal action because they "want the 1960s Batman TV series". CBR goes on to describe how "Currently Fox own [sic] the TV footage, but Warner Bros own [sic] the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them."

Let's clear that up, though, about whom under the Time Life conglomerate umbrella owns the character of "Batman" (and related characters and trademarks). We're told, time and again by people at the company, that it's DC Comics, and not any other division of Time Life! The folks at Warner Bros. Pictures does not own Batman, nor does Warner Home Video (as we relayed at the bottom of our recent report of what WHV execs said on the subject at a live online chat held a week ago at the Home Theater Forum). And these "sister" companies to DC Comics have exactly as much right to tell DC what to do, as you and I have to tell our own siblings what to do (i.e., none). And the parent company apparently has very little interest in stepping in and telling these individual divisions how to run their day-to-day operations.

Let's also address the years-old rumor that Warner wouldn't let Fox release the "campy" '60s Batman series because it would degrade the current "dark" reputation of the character and his stories. Again, it would be DC Comics, not Warner...and DC obviously hasn't held up DVD releases of the equally campy Filmation cartoon series, which has the characters voiced by the actors of the live-action 1966 series: Adam West and Burt Ward. And that cartoon also includes the mega-campy magic "Bat-mite" character, a real example of silliness in the Bat-world. Why would that come out if there was concern over Batman's image? Truth be told, there actually seems to be very little worry over Batman's "street cred"...it's all about the rights issues. And there are a TON of them!

Now, we're not saying, in any way, that CBR is wrong when it comes to Fox using the Watchmen issue to help clear the hurdle over rights issues with DC Comics. That's possible, and getting past that part of it would certainly be helpful. We don't know if it's accurate or not, but CBR - known around the 'net to reputable - is convinced of it. But everybody will have to remember that DC Comics is only ONE of the rights-related hurdles that Fox needs to leap over! Fox has to work their way out of a very large "rights hell" situation that not only involves DC (albeit in a smaller and less contentious way than people are imagining), but many others, too! In fact, the sheer scope, depth and breadth of all the rights-holders who have to be brought into various agreements, to get this program released on DVD, can be absolutely frightening!

Why? Because, as CBR notes, Fox owns the footage. That footage is theirs to release in any manner they see fit...as long as they obey all contractual language involving licenses, royalties and residuals. For the big-screen film which was in theaters in the '60s, shortly after the first season (and which recently came out on Blu-ray), there had been language in the contracts that covered release of the footage in places other than a theater (on an airplane flight, for example). Language which could cover the home video releases that came along ages later...something that wasn't imagined in the late '60s! But for the television episodes, there was no such language in the contracts about showing the footage anywhere else besides on television. So Fox can't show it anywhere else, such as on a DVD, because they don't have any rights to do so. The contracts did have language, though, to cover licensing small clips out to other productions (which is why some short footage can show up on DVDs like Holy Batmania!, but not entire episodes).

Therefore, Fox has to go to DC Comics and ask for a new agreement to cover a DVD release of the television episodes, using all of these characters that DC owns. But Fox also has to get new agreements with everyone else that owns rights to something used in the show. Let's take a look at them:
Music - As with any show, music rights play a big part in working out the details of a DVD release. There's the iconic theme music composed by Neal Hefti and recorded for the show by Nelson Riddle. There are other songs/musical pieces as well that would need clearance, too, if they're not covered by any previous agreements (which is unlikely).

•Writers, Directors and Other Behind-the-Camera Talent - There would be residuals owed to these parties, and those factor into the overall cost of any DVD releases. Much of this would be covered by agreements with the Writer's Guild, Director's Guild and other union contracts regarding the home video releases of episodes in a TV series that they worked on. Still, there is always the possibility that there may have been contributions by people who weren't members of the appropriate guild(s), and so they may require a separate agreement. That's unlikely, but we have to realize that it's possible.

•On-Camera Talent - Would stars of the show, or their heirs, be owed any additional money for a DVD release? Maybe, maybe not...it depends on certain factors. But it's unlikely...the Screen Actors Guild agreement - which, as you know, is in the process of being renegotiated to give talent more compensation for DVD and other home video releases - would probably cover things. On the other hand, no one expects these actors to participate in DVD bonus material for free. It's very likely that they want a nice paycheck for interviews, commentary tracks, and the like. As you know, Adam West is working on his own separate DVD release of "extras" about this show, Adam West: The Batman Diaries, so he can get his own behind-the-scenes look at the show out there...and earn a buck in the process (which no one, certainly not us, would begrudge him).

•Cameos and Guest Stars - In the modern era, it comes as no surprise to see characters cross over from one show to another. But this practice goes waaay back, and when Batman was a huge hit, it was no different. And they had a LOT of them:

"Bat-climbs": The show had a practice of doing throwaway "Bat-climb" gags whenever Batman & Robin did a Bat-rope walk up a building: someone would stick their head out of the window and say something to the Dynamic Duo. Most often it would be someone you know from elsewhere on the ABC network: Dick Clark, for example. "Col. Klink" (Werner Klemperer) of Hogan's Heroes shows up once. "Lurch" (Ted Cassidy) of The Addams Family also shows up once. The Green Hornet and Kato (Van Williams & Bruce Lee) pop out of a window, too, and later on become full-on guest-stars in a two-part crossover team-up adventure with Batman & Robin. Then there were other "Bat-climb" window cameos including Sammy Davis Jr., Jerry Lewis, Art Linkletter and even Santa Claus! While Santa is unlikely to need a residual, it's possible that the actor (or his estate) who portrayed him would be owed one.

"Guest Villains": Then there's the rogue's gallery, including well-known super-crooks portrayed by Cesar Romero ("Joker"wink, Burgess Meredith ("Penguin"wink, Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt ("Catwoman"wink, Frank Gorshin and John Astin ("Riddler"wink and Eli Wallach and Otto Preminger ("Mr. Freeze"wink. But then there are other big stars like Vincent Price ("Egghead"wink, Roddy McDowell ("Bookworm"wink, Liberace ("Chandell"wink, Van Johnson ("The Minstrel"wink, Shelly Winters ("Ma Parker"wink, Ethel Merman ("Lola Lasagna"wink, Zsa Zsa Gabor ("Minerva"wink, Joan Collins ("Siren"wink, Victor Buono ("King Tut"wink, Milton Berle ("Louie the Lilac"wink and too many others to name.

Other Cameos/Guest Stars: Yes, there were big names in other small roles; stars like Jill St. John, Jerry Mathers, Steve Allen, Phyllis Diller, Gypsy Rose Lee, Lesley Gore, Alan Hale Jr. and Lee Meriwether (who also played "Catwoman" in the film).

This is a LOT more complicated than fans probably expect. If you want to see Ted Cassidy as "Lurch" stick his head out of the window on a bat-rope climb, then Fox has to talk to MGM (which might prove relatively easy, since Fox distros MGM properties on home video these days)...but then again, they probably also have to negotiate with the Tee & Charles Addams Foundation, which holds the license on the original Addams Family characters from the drawings! If you want to see Werner Klemperer as "Col. Klink" stick his head out of the window, then Fox has to license the character from CBS/Paramount, who owns the home video rights to Hogan's Heroes. If you want to see Green Hornet and Kato stick their heads out of the window, or to see the entire crossover storyline where they show up and fight crime with the Caped Crusaders, great...but Fox has gotta license it. Oh...except Fox probably couldn't know who to license it from at this very moment, because the Green Hornet series has just as many legal tangles - maybe more! - than Batman does. Right this second, even if everything else got cleared up and Batman could be released, it would probably be without any of the Green Hornet stuff...which means they would be skipping that part of the Bat-rope climb footage on the one episode, and then leaving off an entire adventure elsewhere! And who's gonna be happy about those getting cut? Certainly not the fans!

•Greenway Productions/The Dozier Estate - In 2006, Deborah Dozier Potter filed a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox, something Comic Book Resources reported about. In the suit she was alleging that her portion of the Greenway Productions assets had not properly been paid for residuals resulting from the show. The amount of the lawsuit claim was $4.4 million. The Dozier Estate is just one of several parties which hold portions of the Greenway Productions shingle, which produced the show. While we've heard that this particular lawsuit may be over (we're not sure), all of these issues would have to be taken care of prior to a DVD release.

•George Barris/Barris Kustom Industries (and other props) - The producers of the show gave George Barris the task of coming up with the Batmobile used in the show, and Barris (whose work in devising special cars for Hollywood is near-legendary) came up with an enduring design which has caught the attention of the folks at Guinness World Records, who house a '66-design Batmobile in their Gatlinburg, TN museum (I visited it myself a few months ago!). It's rumored that the unique Batmobile design warrants royalties or residuals. Other props, both large (Bat-Boat, Bat-Cycle, Bat-Copter) and small (utility belt gadgets, designs of something like a batarang or bat-phone, villain props, maybe even the Shakespeare-switch to the Batcave) could all possibly be unique enough to the show to require some sort of addition license for a DVD release.

•Unique-to-TV Costume Designs - Like the Batmobile, some costumes seen in the '60s live-action show were brand-new designs, sufficiently different enough from anything seen in the comic books up to that time, which could be labeled as "unique works of art". In fact, we have heard it said that some of those designs were copyrighted (though we've never been clear on the truth of that). So it's entirely possible that the people who designed those pieces of wardrobe would require some additional compensation for a home video release featuring the characters wearing those outfits.

Characters, music, behind-the-camera talent, on-camera talent, guest characters from competing studios, producers/owners, custom props, custom costumes/wardrobe...that's a pretty big list! Why in the world does all of this affect Batman, and not other shows from the same era? Partly this has to do with the huge (near-legendary) popularity of the show, and the characters, and how lucrative a DVD release this would be. Since another Greenways Production that showed on ABC at around the same time, The Green Hornet, also has a huge rights issue, then we MIGHT have a hint that there was an issue with the way that company wrote up at least some of their agreements, compared to other production companies. That's just a guess, though. In any event, Fox Home Entertainment told us less than sixty days ago that all the issues are "not close to being worked out" (that's an actual quote from a studio spokesperson).

Yep, that Bat-pie needs to be divided up by more than 2 parties, which is the REAL negotiation hold-up. CBR might be correct in that Fox is using the Watchmen situation to try to leverage Batman rights from DC Comics. Oh, we doubt Fox would have gone into that lawsuit with this in mind...someone probably thought of it along the way. But even if that does end up in things getting worked out with DC, it doesn't mean that all the hurdles are cleared for a DVD release of the 1966 Batman television program. And the whole time they work on all of these other rights, Fox has to be careful and make sure each agreement made is financially sensible, so they won't have to charge a billion bucks per season for any eventual DVD release. It's a LOT of work for them to do...years and years worth of work. How far along are they so far? We're not privy to that info, of course, but I suspect that we've still got a long road to go, old chum.

And as for all the sets out there, well of course none are official but there are a lot that have good quality, and those that have bad quality. Sometimes the sound is good, sometimes it's bad, sometimes the picture is bad, sometimes it's good. You just have to know which ones out of all of them are good. But all of them are gonna be on DVD-R or DVD-RW, because they have to burn it, so it may or may not have disc art on the discs (a lot of computers can do disc art nowadays). Finally keep in mind to look for how they taped them, like if they are taped from masters, they are probably better quality and they don't have a television station logo on them, but the ones that are filmed from tv or not specified are gonna be lower quality and have a tv logo.

"I am vengeance, I am the night... I am Batman!!"
bruce_batman_3 Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.