Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Other DC Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 02-07-2007 10:58
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #37

Written by Alan Burnett
Art and Cover by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs
Variant cover by Claudio Castellini
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
There is a mystery with a certain something that has been stolen from Lex Luthor. Something that a new villain is planning to use. What is it? That's the mystery for both Superman & Batman.

REVIEW:
Okay, let me explain. And I'll be honest. After Superman/Batman #34, the next two issues weren't something I saw worth reviewing. Mostly because I saw the flaws and they overtook me. So I ended going meh, or sticking my tounge out. For it was the arc after that which I was waiting for. Alan Burnett has been best known for DC Comics animation. With his work on the last two incarnations of the Superfriends, whom are one of the best of that franchise, to the classic Batman: The Animated Series to most of the popular DCAU and finally The Batman. When I heard that Superman/Batman was to be handed to this guy, I wanted to see the arc so bad. Very, very, more than the Metal Men one. Now, we have the first part. Here we go.

I read this issue twice. First time, it seemed mixed to me. But second time, it was a good opening, a good issue. I guess it'll make sense once I start talking about it. The first part of "Torment" offers mystery. Luthor has a certain top secret property, that is kryptonian, that gets stolen by Killer Croc. But Croc doesn't want it, a mysterious new villain does. Named Schrocken. Croc is afraid of him and almost ruins his sanity later on. And the thing is, there are two other people, an old man and young one, connected to the property too. Are they really human or if one of that mystery villain remains to be seen. Plus, while they do a scene together, there is no actual team up between our two stars. I don't know if that’s new but I felt mentioning it anyway. And for Superman; around Metropolis, the Earth is growing kryptonite. So this first part of the arc was still with mysteries that will make me continue buying to see what comes next. I guess that shows that it was decent. But it did have flaws: the dialogue was a little cheesy, and the art wasn't anything that I would want for this storyline. And there was one other thing that was the reason why I read it twice.

Just like "Enemies Among Us", this storyline's place in continuity is questionable. Because Luthor has his company, still. While that was only one thing that was confusing, it sort of ruined my first reading of it and had to take a second read. So I explained that. I guess that you can really maybe consider this book, until someone starts fixing it, a non-canon book. I mean I want to really say it is canon, and this arc must take place before Infinite Crisis, because "Enemies Among Us" had problems which is why it came out the way it did, and "Torment" hasn't had any on the news. So there must be a reason for what I'm seeing. So that was the confusing thing and hopefully, somewhere down the line, it gets better.

Overall, this was a decent opening to the arc. It had some flaws but the story itself saved it. The continuity problem is again brought up but at least we know why "Enemies Among Us" was that way and "Torment" must have a reason. I guess I should think about it so much because if I do, I might miss a good story because I'm thinking of continuity and not this. So hopefully it will get cleared up, it has to. I'm ready for the next five issues from Alan Burnett, and I want to see where this goes next.

RATING: 3/5

Next Issue: A major villain returns, and what's the Scarecrow have to do with all this?

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 22-07-2007 15:18
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #38

Written by Alan Burnett
Variant cover by Claudio Castellini
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
A major villain returns, and it will have repercussions across the entire DC Universe! And what's the Scarecrow have to do with all this?

REVIEW:
Last time, Alan Burnett's arc in Superman/Batman started. While it was a good start, I had some problems. Like bits of dialogue, and the biggest was continuity. But between that issue and the next issue, an interview with Matt Idelson cleared that up. Matt revealed that the so-called problem of continuity wasn't a problem at all; it was the plan believe it or not. Superman/Batman is set in continuity, even though it’s similar to what's going on in the DCU right now. So he cleared that up, and it made me not worry about the continuity problems anymore. Even though, this should be changed into "in-continuity". But I wasn't concerned anymore. So with that cleared up, here is #38.

After I read this issue, I only had one confusion but I'll get to that in a bit, but I saw this as a positive issue than what I got last time with the previous one. Maybe it was because of the fact that now I knew this series wasn't in-continuity, but I doubt it. Part 2 of an issue that has more is common for arcs. Since this is a six part story, you can divide this into three parts basically with each part serving as an act. So with part 2 over, act 1 is over. With act 2 starting with the next issue. Felt I needed to say that. But this issue was good.

The confusion here that I got was the scene where Superman seems to be going into fear (in case I need to explain: the last shot of the previous issue was a dream, and now Superman is going into that fear in reality again thanks to Scarecrow using Darkseid's technology, and yes he is here too), he is not in costume but as Clark Kent, and he runs around without his glasses. Wouldn't people have notice that mild-mannered Clark Kent was Superman? That was the confusion. I mean he doesn't hide his face, and he only notices he doesn't have them on when Lois mentions it, so why wouldn't the people have seen Clark was Superman? That was the confusion.

Overall, so this issue was good. I had no problems, although it still sets up whats happening. Scarecrow and Darkseid enter the picture, and as I explained the "6 parts as three acts", the next issue will start upping the ante. Also, we learn here that the John character is exactly Dasaad in disguise. Now I had to go back a fourth a couple times and the reason why was due to the art. Sometimes, certain people here look the same. I still think someone else should have done the art duties.

RATING: 3.5/5

Next Issue: Darkseid returns!!!

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 20-08-2007 11:55
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #39

Written by Alan Burnett
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
Superman's gone crazy, Batman's using Boom Tubes, and the Parademons are up to no good. Darkseid must be up to something!

REVIEW:
So last issue, it was still setting up what this arc is going to be, but it was still good. Because of the ending, I thought of it as a "6 parts as three acts" idea. Which it will bite me in the a$$ if that wasn't the case here. One person asked me what I meant by the fact that I didn't get John as Dasaad. What I meant was that when he changed into Dasaad, I didn't know how he came into the story all of a sudden at first, but then I found out it was that John guy. That was the trouble. But anyway, here is #39:

So it didn't bite me in the a$$. #37-38 were the set ups for this arc, now with #39 is where the action and story keeps it into high gear. The villains are together, Superman is in trouble, and Batman knows about Darkseid and what has just happened to the Man of Steel. But you know what? That's basically it. I really want to explain more and tell you why I liked it. But the fact is; what I just said right now is what this issue was all about and what happened. There's nothing to point out, or something that happened that I want to talk about. All it is is just that. Now, you may think this is a disappointing issue, but I don't consider it like that. Yes, I would've want to say more, but this issue did what was promised in the solicits, and was good overall, then I'm good.

Overall, so it was good. Now with Part 3, half of this arc is done and again, it didn't bit me back in the a$$ so we're now in the first half of act two of this story. As I said, I wanted to say more things, but since this issue did what it did, I'm all good for it. Although; I do miss those big things from Superman/Batman that made my reviews a little longer than this one. So it’s a standard rating.

Next Issue: Darkseid's plan begins to come to fruition!

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 24-09-2007 10:08
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I really miss enjoying Superman/Batman. This arc and the previous few have just been so boring. It seems like everytime that I see this in my stack of pulled comics I just don't look foward to reading it.

This issue was no exception. First of all, who knew that Orion has a wife? I am not the biggest New Gods fan, but I thought that I was pretty well informed. Also, does she release some kind of pheremones or something. I can semi-understand why she is falling for Batman, but why does Batman find her so appealing. Sure she has a passing similarity to Catwoman, but that is mentioned in one inner-monologue panel.

Aside from learning that Darkseid lost his Omega powers, this comic was a waste of money. Would it have killed them to have a reference to when Superman pulled Darkseid off of the source wall? I have the comic, but I can't remember when it was.

I think that I read that there is going to be a Countdown tie in in this title in a couple of months, but after finishing this arc out, I will probably drop this comic unless it has an issue with a tie in to a better title.

SGFin99 Send Private Message
RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 24-09-2007 15:26
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #40

Written by Alan Burnett
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
Will Batman and Orion's wife, Bekka, give in to their desire for one another? Find out as Darkseid's plan begins to come to fruition!

REVIEW:
Last issue was good, and I was right before when I said that part 3 would be the turning point and the six issues would become three acts of the story. I wanted to say more things about that issue, but after that issue did what it did, I was all good. Even though, I still miss the big things from Superman/Batman before this. So with that recap done, here is #40.

This issue I saw was more of an okay issue. It was an issue of story explosion and was bit of a set up for the next issue. Now I also reviewed Flash #232 which was similar and I thought was okay too. And what I said about that, I'll say here. Set up issues are fine, because they're needed in a story. The problem is of two questions I have reading it; do I care and is it enough in an issue? I don't have to worry about the caring part, but when it comes to how much and if it's enough for that issue, then that's not going to have the same answer. Because they don't seem to have enough in that issue's story that an issue should have. And it's the same with #40 of Superman/Batman: we learn the backstory of what's going on, a we have a bit of a set up for the next issue(s). And that's why I say this is okay.

Now as I said: in this issue, we finally find out what has been going on: Darkseid has been in a weak state since He was freed from the Source Wall (from "Absolute Power"wink, and needs Highfather's staff to be stronger once again. Dasaad will help him, but wants his own galaxy to rule, to which Darkseid has agreed. And it was Dasaad to decided to control Superman. Okay, now we know what the hell is going on. Now, I do ask, what the chances of Darkseid really giving Dasaad a universe, even one that he himself won't rule? Like we don’t have to figure that out.

Also added in this issue for the arc, Batman seems to have a love interest in Orion's wife in this arc. Not a big shocker, as we've seen in anything Batman-related, he is like James Bond to the women he meets. But I'm not a New Gods fan, only followed what was given to me from comics that this and the DCAU, but when did Orion get a wife? I don't remember anything mentioned on that, not to say it's not a problem. Other than that, Batman's feelings toward Mekka are really force in my opinion. If she met Batman two issues before this, then it would've made sense. But for it being forced, it doesn't feel right.

Overall, this was okay. Looking back on it with my review here, I hope this comic series really does shine because I really miss it being a top book, since it has DC's top two. Alan Burnett is a great guy, has come up with several of good ideas that makes his shows work, but here this isn't a good example of what makes him great. Look how Paul Dini turned out with Detective Comics; maybe Burnett should have Dini help him. Pray that things get better.

RATING: 3/5

Next Issue: Batman must retrieve a lost Superman.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 24-09-2007 16:47
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Nate wrote:Now as I said: in this issue, we finally find out what has been going on: Darkseid has been in a weak state since He was freed from the Source Wall (from "Absolute Power"wink, and needs Highfather's staff to be stronger once again. Dasaad will help him, but wants his own galaxy to rule, to which Darkseid has agreed. And it was Dasaad to decided to control Superman. Okay, now we know what the hell is going on. Now, I do ask, what the chances of Darkseid really giving Dasaad a universe, even one that he himself won't rule? Like we don’t have to figure that out.

Thank you, I knew I had read it, but could not remember when. Absolute Power was so delayed that it became pretty forgettable, so I'm not surprised that I couldn't remember.

Also added in this issue for the arc, Batman seems to have a love interest in Orion's wife in this arc. Not a big shocker, as we've seen in anything Batman-related, he is like James Bond to the women he meets. But I'm not a New Gods fan, only followed what was given to me from comics that this and the DCAU, but when did Orion get a wife? I don't remember anything mentioned on that, not to say it's not a problem. Other than that, Batman's feelings toward Mekka are really force in my opinion. If she met Batman two issues before this, then it would've made sense. But for it being forced, it doesn't feel right.

That forced love is what really made this issue abysmal. I scoured a few of the review pages that I read, and it seems like Bekka may be a new character. In the cover of the week column at Wizard Universe she is identified as female figure.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 29-10-2007 16:28
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #41

Written by Alan Burnett
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
In the penultimate chapter in Alan Burnett's epic, Batman must retrieve the lost Superman! Plus, a surprise appearance by Highfather! But why is he with Superman?

REVIEW:
It's only been a month, but for some reason it feels like it's been longer between #40 and #41. Oh well! Last Issue was okay, but it reminded me of how long since this comic series really did shine and I really miss it. I prayed for things to be better, even though that was just one issue out from this six-parter, and the fourth part. And it even affected with wanting to get it and read it. With all of that said, here is #41:

Unlike last time, this issue of this arc improved back to what it was, I'd say, the first 2-3 issues of the arc. The Batman/Bekka love thing quickly halted by Batman, as I hated it since I don't believe he would agree with loving someone who is someone else's wife, someone he knows: Orion. And second was; why did we need it? He cares for her, and that's not a problem, just as long as the love thing is....not there anymore. The story move forward with Darkseid and Dasaad having Highfather's staff, so there was something with this issue, as well as something (next paragraph). But it was improved from last time, for me.

I guess one of the things I want to point out is Superman's dream, while I won't give away any spoilers. His dream is him on a bed with everyone he knows meeting him like a family reunion. And I guess that dream scene is proof that Superman/Batman is a out-of-continuity book, I believe Brave and the Bold is the same judging from #7 (which I didn't review). For it actually connects, not just the comics, but the DC Animated Universe as well. For example, Jor-El and Lara are from Superman: The Animated Series and Hawkgirl is the same one from Justice League Unlimited. Is that Krypton now? No, it's still branched off from the Reeve/Routh films. So this is proof that this series is out-of-continuity. But that dream scene had moments, that didn't go with the proof I made. I like the fact that Batman shows up with his Silver Age/Zebra costume and Superman's meets the guy who is the one scared and holding his hand on his face on the cover of Action Comics #1. So that was fun.

Overall, this was an improvement of #40. The Batman/Bekka love thing was gone, hopefully forever, the plot moves forward, and Superman's dream was probably my highlight. We have one more to go before Burnett takes off, and we'll see how this arc ranks as a whole. See you soon!

Next Issue: Three things: Batman's not happy, Superman's being controlled, and Darkseid succeeds!

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 30-10-2007 11:07
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

The dream sequence was not showing how out of continuity Superman Batman is, it was showing the effect of being in the Source Wall. The Source Wall is the divider between the 52 universes (see Countdown series). Doesn't Desaad wonder what it is like being trapped in the Wall earlier in the issue, the we get a glimpse of how it is for Superman after he is cast into it.

I really thought that this was the last issue of this storyline. Wishful thinking I guess. At least the next is the last issue. Hopefully whatever is next will be significantly better. I've never been this close to dropping this title.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 30-10-2007 12:45
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

Oh, well that didnt popped in my brain. Since I heard the news of Superman/Batman being out of continuity, that's what went into my mind when I saw that scene.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 15-11-2007 11:43
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Man, I'm glad this is over. It doesn't happen too often, but there are times that a title that I am pretty devoted too gets one big stinker of a story. This was one of those times. The art is nice, but the story was just bad. I am ready for the next issue, a one shot flashback with Robin and the Titans. It looks like a lot of fun.

RE: Superman/Batman: Torment (#37-42) Review Thread - Posted on 18-11-2007 21:58
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

by Nathaniel Ruff (aka Binker on the forums)

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #42

Written by Alan Burnett
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
Batman's not happy, Superman's being controlled, Bekka's hot for Batman, and Darkseid succeeds! It's the final chapter of Alan Burnett's epic "Torment." If you're reading COUNTDOWN, you can't miss this issue!

REVIEW:
#41 was an improvement over what I read in #40. The Batman/Bekka love thing was gone, hopefully forever, and the plot moved forward. Superman's dream was probably the highlight; combining elements of the past in one sequence. #42 is the last of the arc and I can hope that this pays off in the end. So without further ado, here is the finale!

Okay, the arc is finally over, now where do I start? Well I may start with a line that is "PICK ONE, DC!". Since Loeb left, it was stated that Superman/Batman was a out of continuity series. And in this arc, it stayed that way, but then there was a reference to the last arc by Loeb, then we had that scene in #41 that included many eras of DC talking to Supes, and now at the end of the story we have a reference to Countdown's "Death of the New Gods". Jeez, if this is out of continuity, then MAKE IT out of continuity. And if it is in-continuity, then MAKE IT in-continuity. Next has to be the return of the Bruce/Bekka love thing. There was no point to it, and I have a feeling it would be out of place for Batman because he wouldn't go after a married woman, let alone a woman married to Orion. There was no point for this love thing to exist at all. Finally, the arc in general; in Loeb's run, all the arcs were great and they existed and we loved that they existed. Now, post-Loeb, the two arcs of this series are stories that are just examples of some things that don't really have a point to exist. Alan Burnett is a good guy, and I know he has to be a good writer, and he will be co-writing on JLA soon. But with what this series has become, it seems that he couldn't even bring the greatness back. This storyline might be good actually, but the fact is, is that there criticisms on his story is combined with the problems of the entire series.

Overall, I don't know what to say. Two arcs post-Loeb now, and this series has become from an "a series who must read" to a "series that is just there". That is sad, because this series features two mighty superheroes that make up DC Comics and who the whole world knows, and it’s a series that I, and many, are losing interest for. Now that Burnett's arc is over, I have to ask myself "should I continue?" The next issue is a Teen Titans stand alone story, which doesn't make sense that doesn’t seem to have neither Superman or Batman in it. Following that, it’s a "Search for Kryptonite" written by the writers of the television show Heroes. That arc is getting some people interested, but it’s sorta similar to what everyone thought of with Burnett's run before it started. And I don't know if I should get that, nor if I should continue. I have a good reason to think this, for I might be dropping this book.

For Superman/Batman, the following must be done: BE IN-CONTINUITY to have the series MAKE SENSE! Havign it out of continuity is stupid, maybe the same goes for The Brave and the Bold since that must be out of continuity too. And for the love of....rename it as SUPERMAN/BATMAN/WONDER WOMAN already! A Big Three book would be great for god's sake! Next is story, of course; and the only thing that would make me get the next arc is if the storyline from its first issue is good, and I mean really good, maybe even great. If that were to happen, thus returning the series back to its positive side by its readers, then good, I'll be there. If not, well then it’s confirmed: the series is dead to me.

RATING: Blah

Next Issue: A Teen Titans stand-alone story where they face Dr. Light!

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.