Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Other DC Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Justice Society Of America: "Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread (UPDATED: #14) - Posted on 13-09-2007 21:29
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #9

Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Dale Eaglesham and Ruy Jose
Cover by Alex Ross
Variant cover by Eaglesham and Jose
Edited by Mike Siglain

PLOT:
A fight between Wildcat and Wildcat! No, they don't go at odds; it's all pure fun as they do boxing in front of the JSA, the Fire Department, friends and family. Complete with a pancake breakfast done with Citizen Steel and the kids who are fans of him and the team. But when the party is called off to take care of some super heroics, the team meets their newest and most surprising member to date in this prologue to the story years in the making.

REVIEW:
After two character focusing issues, we finally start the series' next big arc. And it happens to be the one that I, you, and everyone want to check out. While this is not the first part, it is the prologue so the arc technically starts here. The idea of adding Kingdom Come to the main DC Universe is not new, I mean right now in JLA he have Roy Harper as Red Arrow, just like what he is in that book. Starman's appearance is from Kingdom Come, as is Maxine Hunkel whom is based on the Kingdom Come Red Tornado. Same for the Tom Grant Wildcat, same for the time where Cyborg was Robotman, same for Plastic Man's son Offspring, and so on and so forth. The only thing that is new is the idea of the Kingdom Come being one of the 52 Universes and having, like that universes' Superman, interacting with New Earth. Rather than thinking of Kingdom Come as the DCU's future. So without further ado, here is #9:

Batman in the first issue of this launch said this: "The JLA is a strike force, the JSA is a family". If there was anybody, and I mean anybody, who disagreed would feel embarrassed and proven wrong with just this issue. The whole issue deals with the JSA and the Fire Department. In the beginning where they both have breakfast, you get no heated arguments, nothing negative, just plain fun and warm hearted scenes. Liberty Belle and Hourman looking at someone's baby girl and Hourman thinking about it before being cut off by Belle, Damage telling to a group of kids that he could take the Justice League down, it's all fun. So this was a warm hearted, very fun issue.

Okay, yes the Kingdom Come Superman appears, but at the end of this issue. The beginning and the ending of this issue have serious moments relating to Power Girl. Such as the dream she has of the Earth-2 Superman's grave and his hand appears saying "It's not going to end. They're still out there". And at the end where she is the only one we see in that one panel before the full page shot of the Kingdom Come Superman holding Starman. No, Starman doesn’t die. In fact, he is the one who brings this version of Superman to New Earth. Creating a black hole to stop an insane fire inside a building, he passes out and from that black hole; the Kingdom Come Superman saves him. So from this prologue, we can bet that it will not only deal with the Kingdom Come Universe of Earth-22 but the 52 Multiverse as well. So this issue IS important.

Overall, this was a fun, warm hearted issue. The main focus was on the JSA/Fire Department breakfast but as a prologue to "Thy Kingdom Come", it IS important and IS needed from the issue's beginning and cliffhanging ending connected to the upcoming arc starting next issue. So great fun, and a Superman from one of my favorite storyline to boot.

RATING: 4/5

Next Issue: The JSA welcomes Superman from Earth-22, the Kingdom Come Universe. "Thy Kingdom Come" begins.

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

Edited by Nate on 27-02-2008 20:16
patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Justice Society Of America: Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread - Posted on 31-10-2007 20:41
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

by Nathaniel Ruff (aka Binker on the forums)

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #10

Written by Geoff Johns and Alex Ross
Cover by Alex Ross
Edited by Michael Siglain

PLOT:
"Thy Kingdom Come," the epic story years in the making springing from Kingdom Come has finally started! Welcome the newest member to the Justice Society of America: the Kingdom Come Superman! Coming from an Earth plagued by heroes-gone-extreme, how will this Superman react to an incarnation of the Justice Society he never knew? This Superman's world needed better heroes. So does ours.

REVIEW:
Last issue was a prelude to "Thy Kingdom Come", focusing on Power Girl, the JSA with the firemen and their families, ending with the appearance of the Superman from Kingdom Come (Earth-22 in the multiverse). And that was issue was just like every issue of JSA since: fun and warm hearted. Now with the first part of "Thy Kingdom Come" starting now, based on my favorite stories of all, I want people to know that #9 is VERY important and IS needed. Now let's start #10 with "Thy Kingdom Come"!

There's nothing like a good storyline relating to your favorite series on a fine day when new comics arrive. If last issue was the prelude, setting up the threads of the characters (Power Girl on Earth-2 Superman, Kingdom Come Superman appearing), then this issue that starts the arc itself is about the reaction of this "new" Superman. It's no surprise that because of the Kingdom Come Superman looking like the Earth-2 one would have an affect on the JSA and Power Girl. Even when you consider that fact that both had grey side burns, and this Superman loves this perfect Earth and the Earth-2 one wanted a perfect Earth in Infinite Crisis. No one buys him as a Superman until the end when he saves a suicidal girl, but what will the JLA and even OUR Superman think of him when they meet him (as its shown at the end). It's pretty obvious that Power Girl and the KC Superman (maybe Starman too) are this arc's main characters, and while nothing quite happened, this was a good issue in the end.

Overall, while nothing happened in this issue beyond the reaction, this issue is still a solid. I love Kingdom Come, and having that story connect with this as one of the Earths in the 52 Multiverse (same goes for The New Frontier as well), it makes me just imagine what's in store on this story. I want to let people know that my copy of JSA #10 seems to have loss of ink in the word balloons, making it somewhat hard to read to know what's being said. That doesn't mean you can't read the lines, but you have to look really hard to make out the words. Is that the same for everyone or just me? A simple mistake though. Can't wait for the next one!

RATING: Yay

Next Issue: The Earth-22 Superman discovers he may have more in common with the JSA than he thinks.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Edited by Chris on 31-10-2007 20:44
RE: Justice Society Of America: Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread - Posted on 06-12-2007 01:16
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #11

Written by Geoff Johns & Alex Ross
Art by Dale Eaglesham & Ruy Jose
Cover by Alex Ross
Variant cover by Eaglesham & Jose
Edited by Michael Siglain

PLOT:
Adjusting to this strange, new Earth, the Superman from Kingdom Come discovers he may have more in common with the heroes of the Justice Society than he believes. Plus, Jay Garrick and Wally West pull out the cosmic treadmill!

REVIEW:
While nothing happened last time beyond the reaction of the JSA toward the Kingdom Come Superman, last issue was still a solid one. Last time, I mentioned that my copy of JSA #10 seemed to have lost ink on certain pages. It turned out that when I checked other copies of #10, they were the same. This was weird because I seem to recall looking at a page of where I had ink problems, online and it was fine. Strange. Anyway, I couldn't wait for the next one, and after a preview, I'm hooked once more! So let's check out #11.

The first thing that was on everyone's brain, even mine, was how the JLA and our Superman would react toward the Kingdom Come Superman since we already got the JSA and Power Girl's reaction. And their reaction started as "is he for real" and then it quickly became "yeah he's telling the truth" literally very quick all in the first few pages. You might see this as a bad thing, but it was actually very welcomed. We all know the Kingdom Come Superman is not a bad guy in any way, and while they do compare his appearance to the Earth-2 Superman back in Infinite Crisis, they are quick to see that the Earth-2 version appeared bashing who the heroes were and acted and wanted them replaced, the Kingdom Come Superman is the total opposite from that and everyone, including our Superman, believe him and sorta...welcome him. I like this because if this wasn't the case, then the next issues following this one would have been the JLA's distrust toward the Kingdom Come Superman which I don't even want, and it seems it won't be (though the cover to #13 seems to say to expect otherwise). So this was fine.

Another focus of this story is our other main character focused in this storyline: Power Girl. Last time, Power Girl made it clear that because the Kingdom Come Superman looked like her Earth-2 cousin, she took that fact hard on herself for she would have wanted her cousin back from the dead, also connecting back to her dream in #9. But from all that, this issue sees a scene between the two. And in this scene; Kingdom Come Superman speaks out to her, and when he says that even though he isn't her family that he would like to be, the smile she shows in the last panel clearly state that she accepts him. Touching scene.

Overall, Geoff Johns has nailed it again. I love the Kingdom Come Superman, and you know what? After this, I'm rereading Kingdom Come, and maybe I'll plan to get the action figure to the Kingdom Come Superman as well. I very much liked how the JLA believe and sorta accept the Kingdom Come Superman at the very beginning, because this would have lasted than it should have if it wasn't. And I liked the touching scene between Power Girl and Kingdom Come Superman. And where do we go from here? Well at the end, Mr. America aka Jeffery Graves is investigating a murder and it looks like maybe it will be get on the JSA’s doorstep too. So let's see what is going to happen next time on JSA!

Next Issue: Jakeem Thunder returns, the new Mr. America, Judomaster, Amazing Man and more! Plus, a familiar face that the Kingdom Come Superman knows.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Justice Society Of America: "Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread - Posted on 08-02-2008 00:03
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #12

Written by Geoff Johns
Cover by Alex Ross
Edited by Mike Siglain

PLOT:
Jakeem Thunder returns! The Justice Society reaches out to the next wave of legacy heroes: the new Mr. America, Judomaster, Amazing Man and more! Plus, another face familiar to the Kingdom Come Superman makes his presence known.

REVIEW:
Last issue was no surprise because Geoff nailed the series once more. I liked it very much how the JLA believed the KC (Kingdom Come) Superman was who he was at the very beginning, avoiding the "is he or isn't he?" debate that I have seen from other stories. Let's take a look at this new issue of JSA!

This issue is a mix of introductions, reintroductions, and in some ways a fill-in before the story kicks back up into full gear in this arc. The cast gets bigger in this issue as well. We have a new Amazing Man who has been helping in New Orleans, we learn Black Lightning has another daughter named Jennifer (it's Lightning, known from Kingdom Come), and a new guy named Lance who is the great grandson of the man who founded the JSA: Franklin D. Roovevelt. Jakeem and Thunderbolt return to the JSA, and until her court date, Judomaster is in the JSA's custody and is practicing her fighting skills with Wildcat. All that in one issue. See what I meant by "mix of introductions, reintroductions, and a fill-in"?

But also, there is someone else who is seen in the shadows and beats up the new Mr. America (who appears in pain when he arrives in the JSA, mirroring the previous Mr. America from #1), and it's the someone who has appeared on the covers of the future issues of JSA: Gog. Now, knowing the Earth the KC Superman came from, and knowing who and what Magog was in Kingdom Come and the main DC canon version of Gog seen before all this was, it comes to mind what we will see in the upcoming issues of JSA, concerning the KC Superman. First off; is that Gog, or is it Magog from the Kingdom Come universe. Or maybe the first appearance of the Magog of current DC canon. But it doesn't matter who it is, both Magog and Gog look the same, so what will the KC Superman do once he sees the guy? Angry? Yes. But maybe he will do something that would make the cover to #13, where our main Superman glares at the KC Superman from above, make sense. Only time will time.

Overall, I called this a combination of an introduction issue, reintroduction issue, and a fill-in. But I can call this as something else too: a prologue for things to come. We got new recruits, and old recruits, in the JSA, making the cast get bigger. And Gog's (or Magog's) appearance at the end seems it will cause some hate and what-if questionable actions from the Kingdom Come Superman (that cover to #13 has got me thinking). Either way, I'm ready for what comes next.

Next Issue: Kingdom Come Superman takes on a God, with a little help from a super friend!

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Justice Society Of America: "Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread - Posted on 27-02-2008 20:15
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #13

Written by Geoff Johns
Cover by Alex Ross
Edited by Mike Siglain

PLOT:
"Thy Kingdom Come" continues! The Justice Society has been tracking the "Heartbreak Slayer" — a mysterious serial killer targeting super-villains — for months. Now, as new members are welcomed into the fold and the Society expands, the JSA will come face-to-face with an evil that threatens the future they stand for.

REVIEW:
Issue #12 was what I called; a combination of introduction, reintroduction, and a fill-in, all at the same time. But it was also a prologue for things to come. New recruits, old recruits, all making the cast get bigger. But if there was anything making me wonder what to expect from the upcoming issues, it would have be the Kingdom Come Superman in regards to Gog, as he appeared at the end. What will happen between these two is up in the air. But with a writer like Geoff Johns, you know it has to be good. Here is #13.

This issue had something I wanted to see and wondered if it would happen after #11: the team-up between our DCU Superman and the Kingdom Come Superman. It happens to be because of Gog that leads the KC Superman to meet with the DCU version, and it is when he is above the Daily Planet that the KC Superman hears Lois, and remembers the KC Lois' death by the hands of the Joker: something seen for the first time that was only alluded to in the Kingdom Come storyline. The team-up, and the interactions, between the two was something that was very interesting. For one, the KC Superman talks about his Lois' death by the hands of the KC Joker and what happened after because of Magog to the DCU Superman. Also, for us readers, we are shown the different power levels from both Supermen when they fight Hercules (last seen in "Who is Wonder Woman"wink. When Hercules punches the DCU Superman, because he is a God, he manages to make Superman bleed from the nose. But when he tries to punch the KC Superman, the KC Superman doesn't even move. It reminded me all of the All Star Superman version, Silver Age, and Superman from The Batman. So this team-up between the different versions was very good, and I hope this happens again in this arc.

Overall, this was another very good issue of the "Thy Kingdom Come" arc of the Justice Society. From that paragraph above, it is obvious that the DCU/KC Supermen team-up was this issue's highlight. It was done well, and I hope this happens again. One thing to point out is that in the interaction scenes, the KC Superman believes that what happened on his Earth will happen in the DCU Earth "10 years from now" in terms of Gog choosing a successor by that time like on his Earth. Makes you think, doesn’t it? And now, going by what is said to happen in #14, I wanna know how "all hell breaks loose".

Next Issue: A true "New" God stalks the JSA, as devastating future images plague the Man of Steel.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Justice Society Of America: "Thy Kingdom Come" Review Thread (UPDATED: #14) - Posted on 13-04-2008 00:09
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

by Nathaniel Ruff (aka Binker on Newsarama, and Nate on BYTB)

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #14

Written by Geoff Johns
Cover by Alex Ross
Edited by Mike Siglain

PLOT:
"Thy Kingdom Come" continues as the mystery of the "Heartbreak Slayer" explodes while the Justice Society discovers a true "New" God stalking them. Meanwhile, devastating images of the future continue to plague the Man of Steel.

REVIEW:
The previous issue was another very good issue of the "Thy Kingdom Come" arc. The big highlight of that issue was the team-up between the DCU Superman and the Kingdom Come Superman. Done well, completely had great interactions between the two Supermen, and I hope it happens again later on. With Gog into the mix, it was obvious that Geoff Johns was heating things up and even I wanted to know when the hell would "break loose". With that in mind, here is #14!.

If issue #13 started the notion that the heat would be brought up for this arc, then issue #14 would be the one where everything really kicks off into high gear, complete with surprises! While it could be argued that having the JSA chit-chat until Gog appears is a little much, it did give everyone who has arrived and joined, or rejoined, the team to learn about each other. The big surprise happened at the very end (then again, that's where big surprises happen anyway) where the Golden Age Green Lantern and Obsidian appear in their Kingdom Come versions. Now this surprise was filled with some questions, such as: is that the same Alan Scott and Obsidian of the main DCU, or Kingdom Come's? Plus, is this Gog the same Gog that was introduced in the main DCU books pre-OYL, or is he also from the Kingdom Come universe? And if he is from the main DCU, how does he know about the Kansas scene from Kingdom Come? These questions will hopefully be answered in #15, but despite them, this issue itself was another good one.

Overall, this issue kicks off the arc into high gear, and in the end, makes this issue another slam dunk. The JSA have finally started their fight against Gog, and the surprise at the end with the Golden Age Green Lantern and Obsidian in their Kingdom Come versions has me wanting, really wanting, to read issue #15. I'll leave this review with that.

Next Issue: Will the Kingdom Come Superman be the JSA's salvation, or their doom?

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.