Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM BOOK CLUB | Other DC Comics & Other Publications

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Titans: Discussion and Review Thread - Posted on 10-04-2008 14:54
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

by Nathaniel Ruff (aka Binker on Newsarama, and Nate on BYTB)

TITANS #1

Written by Judd Winick
Art and Cover by Ian Churchill and Norm Rapmund
Variant Cover by Ethan Van Sciver
Edited by Eddie Berganza

PLOT:
A new team of Titans is born in the extra-sized first issue of a new ongoing monthly by Judd Winick! Someone or something is continuing its attack on anyone who's ever been a Titan, including Nightwing, Starfire, Donna Troy, Beast Boy and Raven. You won't want to miss this new startling chapter in Titans history that may forge a new team from the ashes of old, dead friends.

REVIEW:
Very much like another superhero team I love, the Justice League, I love the Teen Titans. I was introduced to the team with the well known animated series from Cartoon Network. Afterwards, I did research on the comic book version that led me to buy the first TPB to Geoff Johns' run. But despite that, I wouldn't start getting the comic book until DC's One Year Later jumping on. Something I thought DC was great on. Now into April of 2008, we are introduce to a new second modern Titans book simply called "Titans" by Judd Winick. According to Winick, he wanted to bring back the classic lineup everyone knew, and it wasn't the '60s lineup but the lineup from "the New Teen Titans" by Marv Wolfman and George Perez from the early-mid '80s. I never read those issues, since George Perez' pre-Wonder Woman artwork hurts my eyes and my head, so having that incarnation of the team in this book gave me the opportunity to read them in a modern book. So with that said and done, here is my first Teen Titans-related review: Titans #1!

First of all, this issue's story arc title has a "part two" on it. To make everyone clear on this: this is a continuation of Titans East (something I didn't buy). Don't worry though; you don't need Titans East (thank god) to understand this at all. The book is a first issue, and first issues start out fresh with a new beginning for anyone and everyone. No difference here. So I'm just letting people know just in case they wondered. Back to the issue.

Before I got this issue, the issue already had its share of reacted responses from those who read it. I heard more good than bad, which was all good for anyone who read those responses. And that stayed with me until I got my hands on it and read it myself. This whole issue reintroduces for old readers, and introduces for new readers, the lineup that is, or actually was, The New Teen Titans. Everyone that are Titans-related, even today, are focused on either in a big way, or even a small way. We do have our main stars: Nightwing, Starfire, Donna Troy, The Flash, Raven, and Beast Boy. Red Arrow is here too, but it seems he is here to help out the Titans rather than join, as well as the now-defeated members of Cyborg's Titan East. Again, you don't need the Titans East to understand this, as what you need to is easy, and presented nicely here: Cyborg is hurt, Hawk & Dove are the same, so is Little Barda, but Power Boy is dead. And who did this is doing the same for the main stars, and that happens to be Raven's father: Trigon! A character made famous during Wolfman and Perez' run, and did appear on the Teen Titans animated series.

Going by what I just said about this issue, it does appear to be a set-up issue. Normally, set-up issues are either exciting or boring, depending on either where in the storyline that issue takes place in, or from the state of that set-up issue story. The set-up story in this first issue of Titans is in the exciting category, and that is helped by Ian Churchill who did the artwork who sadly won't continue on pass the first issue. One complaint that someone might have is that when each of our star Titans get attacked separately, except for Nightwing, we don't see the fights nor learn how they are all resolved. Instead, we see the rest of our cast at the end, who have all survived the attacks. I could agree, but at the same time I wouldn't, on this complaint. On one hand; it would have been great to showcase how each of them handled themselves during those attacks, or even fought their attackers (if there were any). But on another hand, we know from previews that they were going to survive and work together from the end of the first issue onto the next and following, so seeing those fights or how they survived isn't really needed. Because we all knew they were going to be together at the end.

Overall, in my first review to a Titans book, this was a great beginning for the new series. I'm sorry to repeat this, but I will once more: you DON'T need Titans East to understand this, despite having the title of this issue having a "part two" on it. What happens in that special that immediately leads into our series is presented, and written, very easy to understand in this issue. Like many first issues, this is a new start or new beginning, so there are NO problems. Each of our cast of characters were reintroduced, or introduced for new readers, nicely to get them going onto the story. The artwork was so great that I wonder how the art will be starting in issue #2. The artwork is the same as on the covers, and I have no problem with that. But there is always a different story when you see the art from the pages inside. So we'll see. But untimely, Titans #1 was great!

RATING: Yay

Next Issue: The Titans hunt continues!

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Titans: Discussion and Review Thread - Posted on 10-04-2008 15:18
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Hmm.. do you need Titans East to understand whats going on?

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: Titans: Discussion and Review Thread - Posted on 10-04-2008 23:17
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

[QUOTE]I'm sorry to repeat this, but I will once more: you DON'T need Titans East to understand this, despite having the title of this issue having a "part two" on it. What happens in that special that immediately leads into our series is presented, and written, very easy to understand in this issue. Like many first issues, this is a new start or new beginning, so there are NO problems.[/QUOTE]

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Titans: Discussion and Review Thread - Posted on 11-04-2008 00:31
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

hhmm.. so thats a no? big grin

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.