Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM THEATER | Superman Movies

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Superman Returns DVD Talkback (with WF Delixe Edition review) - Posted on 13-09-2006 15:58
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

--Original Post updated with announcment (10-6-06)--

Warner Home Video this morning send out the official press release on the Superman Returns DVD (cover artwork can be found below the press release):

"Loaded with digital dazzle ... 'Superman' returns with a bang." Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

"Pure exhilaration ... It's beyond Super. It's Superb." Richard Corliss, Time

The fight for truth and justice continues when Superman Returns soars onto DVD November 28th from Warner Home Video. Superman Returns delivers an epic story, spectacular special effects, and exhilarating action that will leave you breathless. Directed by Bryan Singer (X-Men I & II, Usual Suspects), Superman Returns features powerful performances from newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth (Blue Crush, Beyond the Sea) and two-time Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey (American Beauty, Usual Suspects).

The Two-Disc Special Edition is filled with over three hours of bonus features, including more than ten revealing additional scenes with characters and plotlines never before seen and a "Resurrecting Jor-El" featurette. A multi-part, nearly 3-hour documentary, "Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns" takes you on an in-depth, behind the scenes journey of the making of this momentous film with visionary director Singer and crew. Viewers will experience what it was actually like to be part of the production on location in Australia. The documentary uncovers the secrets behind some of the most astonishing, effects-laden scenes in the film, including the shuttle accident, the Metropolis disaster and the formation of New Krypton. The Two-Disc Special Edition comes encased in collectible, embossed, gold foil o-sleeve packaging.

Superman Returns marks a day-and-date release for HD and Blu-ray. The HD version will be an HD DVD Combo Disc (High Definition DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other side) with the film in MLP audio and all special features on the HD side and film only on the standard DVD side. The Blu-ray version offers the film and all special features.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The new formats also provide a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu-bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

Superman Returns will be available at $28.98 SRP in both widescreen and full frame formats. The Special Edition will be available in widescreen format for $34.99 SRP. The HD Combo will be available at $39.99 SRP and the Blu-ray version will be available at $34.99 SRP.

SYNOPSIS

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved Super Heroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman (Brandon Routh) faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

DVD ELEMENTS

The Single Disc version of Superman Returns contains the theatrical version of the film.

The Two-Disc Special Edition contains the theatrical version of the film on Disc 1 and over three hours of special features on Disc 2, including:

-- Additional Scenes
-- The Date: Ma Kent plays a game with her new man
-- Family Photos: Clark reminisces over family photos
-- Crash Landing/X-Ray Vision: Clark discovers he can fly and he
has x-ray vision
-- Old Newspapers: Clark realizes what happened while he was gone
-- Are You Two Dating?: Clark discovers his mother is dating
-- Martinis and Wigs: Lex and Kitty bicker
-- I'm Always Right: Once again, Lex is right
-- Jimmy the Lush: Jimmy and Clark discuss Lois at the bar
-- Language Barrier: Japanese talkshow makes fun of Superman
-- Crystal Feet: Having a bad day
-- New Krypton: Lois names the new planet
-- Easter Egg: Lex Luthor's "Wrong" Montage

-- "Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns" multi-part
documentary
-- Secret Origins and First Issues: Crystallizing Superman
-- The Crystal Method: Designing Superman
-- An Affinity for Beachfront Property: Shooting Superman
-- Superman on the Farm
-- Superman in the City
-- Superman in Peril
-- The Joy of Lex: Menacing Superman
-- He's Always Around: Wrapping Superman

-- "Resurrecting Jor-El" Featurette
-- 3D rendering of Marlon Brando's face for the Fortress of
Solitude scene

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP
Single disc Amaray (WS) $28.98
Single disc Amaray (FS) $28.98
2-disc Special Edition (WS) $34.99
HD-DVD Combo Disc (30/9) $39.99
Blu-ray Disc (50) $34.99

Street Date: November 28, 2006
Languages: English, Spanish
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Running time: 157 minutes
Rating: PG-13 (for some intense action violence)
DLBY/SURR

CREDITS

Warner Bros. Pictures, in association with Legendary Pictures, presents a Jon Peters Production in association with Bad Hat Harry Productions, a Bryan Singer film, Superman Returns, starring newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth (Beyond the Sea, Blue Crush), James Marsden (X2: X-Men United, The Notebook), Frank Langella (HBO's Unscripted), Academy Award winner Eva Marie Saint (North By Northwest), Parker Posey (Best in Show), Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle), Sam Huntington (Detroit Rock City), and Oscar winner Kevin Spacey (Beyond the Sea, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects). Directed by Bryan Singer (X2: X-Men United, X-Men, The Usual Suspects), the film is produced by Jon Peters, Bryan Singer and Gilbert Adler. The executive producer is Chris Lee. The screenplay is by Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris, and the story is by Bryan Singer & Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris. The director of photography is Newton Thomas Sigel A.S.C.; the production designer is Guy Hendrix Dyas; the film is edited by John Ottman and Elliot Graham; the costume designer is Louise Mingenbach; and the music is by John Ottman. The film is based upon Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and published by DC Comics.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

SUPERMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and ? DC Comics.

You don't get it, boy... this isn't a mudhole... it's an operating table.
(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.
- Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

Edited by Nate on 14-11-2006 12:14
patricecartman2k Send Private Message
RE: Superman Returns DVD Revealed! - Posted on 13-09-2006 18:01
User Avatar batboy99
W. Tech. Manager

Awards:
None

i like the one disc cover better sad but im gettin g the 2 disc sad

Batman YTB is the best site on the net!
batboy_1999@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Superman Returns DVD Revealed! - Posted on 14-09-2006 11:44
User Avatar DavidG
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

those dvd,s are great can,t wait to buythem, especially the two disc dvd,so i can see the deleted scenes.

RE: Superman Returns DVD Revealed! - Posted on 20-09-2006 17:31
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

Here is a list of deleted scenes from Superman Returns to be on the DVD:

00:01:05:12 THE DATE
00:01:45:02 FAMILY PHOTOS
00:01:33:15 CRASH LANDING/X-RAY VISION
00:02:43:01 OLD NEWSPAPERS
00:02:33:05 ARE YOU TWO DATING?
00:01:33:16 MARTINIS AND WIGS
00:00:59:08 I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
00:00:41:04 JIMMY THE LUSH
00:00:11:20 LANGUAGE BARRIER
00:00:23:12 CRYSTAL FEET
00:00:26:03 NEW KRYPTON
00:01:08:07 EASTER EGG - HOW WRONG CAN YOU BE?

Source:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/B79AA2B672DBD45A802571ED0050079A?OpenDocument

Hmm, I smell a Superman Returns De-Classified already.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Edited by Nate on 20-09-2006 17:32
RE: Superman Returns DVD Revealed! WITH DELETED SCENES LIST - Posted on 20-09-2006 17:55
User Avatar batboy99
W. Tech. Manager

Awards:
None

will it come out on dvd in 3d?

Batman YTB is the best site on the net!
batboy_1999@hotmail.com Send Private Message
RE: Superman Returns DVD Revealed! WITH DELETED SCENES LIST - Posted on 20-09-2006 19:02
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

I don't know. But I doubt it.

EDIT: I decided to show you guys the front and backs of each DVD release of Superman Returns:

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Edited by Nate on 21-09-2006 22:10
RE: Superman Returns DVD ANNOUNCED! - Posted on 06-10-2006 11:12
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

My original post from the top has been updated with the announcment made earlier today.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

RE: Superman Returns DVD Talkback - Posted on 14-11-2006 12:14
User Avatar Nate
City Hall Board Member

Awards:
None

Yes, triple post:

World's Finest Online has posted its review of the Superman Returns: Two-Disc Special Edition DVD.

You can read here:
http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/sections/releases/DVD/supermanreturns/

Or right here (the DVD review itself):

As with most high profile Warner Bros. film releases, Superman Returns comes in a variety of flavors: single disc widescreen, single disc full screen, widescreen two disc, Blu Ray and HD-DVD. Of course we don?t want to look at the single disc release (special features? None!) and despite having an HD-ready TV, I don?t have the desire to buy a $500 or $1000 player until a winner is decided and the unit costs less than $200.

So, ready for review is the Superman Returns: Two Disc Special Edition. The case is presented with a slightly foil reflective cardboard slip over it with embossed lettering, buildings, Daily Planet globe and of course, Superman. We can easily toss this sleeve into the corner with the rest of the DVDs that came with these and look at the cover underneath, which is exactly the same aside from the foil/embossing. I just want to mention how happy I would have been if they used the ?Over Earth? Superman Returns poster as the cover and not some newly made cover, but this one works too I guess.

Inside the package we find a $10 rebate for Superman Returns if you buy the Christopher Reeve collection. Behind this is a catalog for the Noble Collection which sells all kinds of movie related trinkets.

Disc art has Superman on the first disc and Luthor on the second. Unlike the other variants of single disc/two disc releases, this one doesn?t seem to have been made specifically with the other discs in mind. Disc 1 doesn?t say anything on it to separate it from its single disc kin and the second disc merely says ?Special Features.? Some may find this cheap, but I?m actually going to applaud WHV for doing this finally, as it didn?t make sense, from a cost standpoint, to manufacture nearly identical discs with slightly different content.

Menu art is curious for both the discs, as they both feature moving spotlights with film clips/production clips in the center. The clips are all right, it?s just the spotlights?in neither my first nor second viewings of the film did I remember seeing a single spotlight at all in the film, so I?m not completely clear on the choice for the spotlights, since it looks slightly like 20th Century Fox.

In any case, the menus for both are clean, clear and easy to navigate. You can?t ask for more and I?m glad there isn?t an extremely bloated menu interface (looking at you, Batman Begins) that holds the viewer back from finding out what to view next.

Video for the film appears slightly grainy to me, especially in the Smallville scenes or any scene where there?s a lot of dark levels. The grains so heavy that it makes the image appear to ?dance?; most won?t notice this, but I was certainly distracted every time it showed up. Most of the films transfer is fine and all CGI shots were crisp and beautiful looking, it?s just the darker scenes that need some help in the grain department. There is also slight blocking on screen at times when the reds get too intense, but those moments are few.

Audio is quite amazing to be in the same room with, particularly during the intro credits, airplane sequence and any time Superman breaks atmo?all cause the room to vibrate and you may want to alert your neighbors that you?re about to watch a move that could cause windows to rattle and shake.

The meat of the second disc can be found in the ?Making Superman Returns: From Script to Screen.? And this certainly isn?t a calf we?re talking about here, it?s a full on heifer: this special feature runs nearly three hours (its one or two minutes short). Just as the name states, it covers the inception of Superman Returns, since before Warner Bros. even hired Singer to direct it, up until it?s final moments of shooting. In this special feature, we see Routh go from model to Superman and Spacey goofing off on set, driving around in his Luthor-cart and a bullhorn shouting ?Superman must die!?

There is very little left unturned in this documentary, and although the online diaries were not included on this set, I recognized some of the material from it inside these series of special features. The surprise blooper reel, albeit short, at the end was also a fun to watch. The three hours was well spent and very much worth watching for those who enjoyed the movie.

Switching over to the deleted scenes, there is a great crop of scenes that I wish they had left in the film. Further exposition on Clark?s abrupt leave from Earth, Martha?s sending postcards to Lois while Clark was away, an alternate scene where Clark discovers Lois?s Pulitzer Prize winning article, Martha going on a date, quite a few more with Lex and my personal favorite, an easter egg of Spacey doing a couple dozen takes of Lex yelling ?WRONG!?

Trailers (teaser, theatrical) for the film and trailers for other Superman merchandise (video games, Reeve?s DVD collection) finish up the special features on the disc. The only complaint I have about the release is the lack of commentary, which is becoming a disturbing trend with Warner Bros. feature film releases based on superheroes (no commentaries for Batman Begins, V for Vendetta or Superman Returns). I enjoyed hearing what Singer had to say in the documentary and his X-Men commentaries, so it?s a shame they couldn?t bring in a few of the cast and crew for commentary.

Overall, the two disc special edition of Superman Returns definitely sets itself apart from the single disc counterpart. With over three hours of special features to keep you company, the two disc release is very much worth picking up over the single release.

(crack!)
And I'm the surgeon.

Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.