Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TOY MUSEUM | Open Letters To The Manufacturers

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 03-02-2007 23:28
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Give The People What They Want:

All any toy company has to do is listen to the fans. It?s the fans that stick with and support the product, it?s the fans who truly care. The consumers are fickle, they buy what they like or what?s hot. It?s simple really make the fans happy and you make the consumers happy too.

Batman and the Technicolor Batsuit:

You don?t see pink Hulks or yellow Spider-mans or purple Wolverines on the toy aisle pegs for a reason. Kenner started the Batman Variant way back in 1990 in The Dark Knight Collection when Hasbro took over they did it even more and then Mattel was too complacent to not take a chance and kept the tradition going. It?s time for the Batman Variant to die. For 17 years we?ve had these Technicolor Batman figures clogging the pegs, it?s why the last three waves of Mattel?s comic style figures were shipped overseas, the peg warmers from the first three waves were still in stores. There are plenty of ways to do blue, black, and gray on a Batman figure and still make it compelling for a kid and collectors to buy.

Articulation For Everyone:

I would have loved to see Toy Biz get the Batman license back. I like what they had done with the Marvel Legends and longed for a super poseable Batman. Toy Biz and McFarlane Toys proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that a company can produce quality detailed and articulated action figures at the mass retail level and so Mattel brought back the comic style line with their DC SuperHeroes which included reissues of some of the overseas figures and some awesome all new sculpts. This is a perfect line, well almost perfect?

Case Pack Ratios and Distribution:

Lack of villains and lack of availability in Mattel?s comic style line was a very big issue. So big that it killed the line in the U.S. and the last three waves of figures were only available overseas. No U.S. retailer picked up anything after Wave 3 because Wave 1 and 2 figures were still on the pegs. For a year and a half after they debuted and Wave 1 Variants hung on the pegs especially at Toys R Us, which as far as I can tell never got Wave 2 or even Wave 3 figures. When the world?s largest Toy Store (and probably Mattel?s biggest customer) does not get current product and Target and Wal-Mart do there is a problem.

Only one villain per Wave was not enough and only one per case is even worse. Mattel figured part of this out late in the game and gave Wal-Mart a series of Comic Carded exclusive figures that included Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze in greater numbers and even had the chase version of Mr. Freeze out on the pegs. It was nice, but it was too little, too late.

When Mattel brought the line back as DC SuperHeroes they did include more villains and slightly better case pack ratios, but where were the figures? It seems to be hit or miss and mostly miss with distribution of these figures. If you find them at Retail that?s great, but chances are you won?t see them on the pegs in anywhere near the quantity that the previous comic style figures were and that?s bad. It looks as if Mattel learned its lesson with the comic style figures, but now it cut back production of the DC SuperHeroes so as not to repeat the same problem.

DC Direct does not suffer quite the same case pack ratios as Mattel, but in every assortment they do have one figure that is an ?inner case? only figure and not all comic book shops order the inner case, preferring a ?master case? or even single figures instead. The result is there is always one DC Direct figure in every series that is short packed.

Fisher-Price:

Get them while they are young and nearly every baby starts out with something from Fisher-Price. They are cute and cuddly and I see Spider-man and Friends style figures for nearly ever major Marvel and Star Wars character, but not DC.

Imaginext: A personal favorite of mine and new Batman style sets could build upon the existing playsets out there. This system is great, you can build the sets just about any way you like and there is plenty of variety. Some existing sets could use minor retooling or a few new pieces to become part of Gotham City.

12? Figures:

When Hasbro had the Batman license they never put a Batman head on a GI Joe body. Why, I have no idea as it would have made a great figure. DC Direct now has 13? Deluxe Collector figures out now, but they are too expensive. Mattel of course had Max Steel which would not be too bad a place to start to make decently articulated 12? Batman, but they didn?t do it? So far Mattel?s larger Batman figures leave a lot to be desired, except Action Cape Batman. Toy Biz had 12? Spider-man with 27 points of articulation and 18? Spider-man get 67 points. Batman gets 12 point or less in a large-scale figure?

Animated Style Figures:

Batman The Animated Series is one of the all-time best series about Batman ever produced and when Mattel first picked up the Batman license they produced some BTAS / TNBA figures that did not look too different than the last of the Kenner/Hasbro line of figures.

Mattel?s animated figures became a Toys R Us and some Kay Bee Toys exclusives line, much like World Of Batman was to Wal-Mart and Spectrum Of The Bat was to Kay Bee Toys and is a perfect way to draw buyers to Toys R Us. Kenner and Hasbro did a good job with all of the Animated Batman figures. They produced a lot of characters from the various Animated series, but there were still a few characters never made into figures that Mattel could do as store exclusives.

Figures I Want To See: Detective Harvey Bullock, Officer Montoya, Lock Up, The Clock King, Baby Doll, The Grey Ghost (was voiced by Adam West), Rupert Thorne, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, and Kyodai Ken. I think some of those would be a hit with collectors and with BTAS season sets now out on DVD perhaps you could cross promote and drum up new business.

Batman Beyond:

Overlooked and underrated by a lot of Batman purists, this was still a nice line of figures. So far I have not heard or seen anything that says Mattel would make these figures, although DC Direct does have a Batman Beyond figure coming in 2007 Most of the major characters were made into action figures, but here are a few they missed that could be store exclusive sets.

Figures I Want To See: Commissioner Barbara Gordon, Bruce Wayne, Terry McGinnis in street clothes, Terry?s mother, Mary McGinnis and brother Matt McGinnis not to mention his girlfriend, Dana Tan and of course his trusted friend Max and Ace, Bruce Wayne?s dog. Do not forget the villains, Royal Flush Gang, Shriek, Spellbinder, Curar?, and The Terrific Trio. The premiere episode had Bruce Wayne in the new Batsuit, but he was never made into an action figure for this line, not even as himself. Why hasn?t anybody thought to make a Gotham City Police Officer? There certainly are a few different styles of GCPD from the various comics and TV series to offer.

The Batman:

Like the others before it this line started out in much the same way. One Batman (in normal costume) One Villain (The Joker) and several Bat-Variants. This has been the typical way Mattel produced figures in the past and even though they had made small changes they were sticking to the same formula as before. Fortunately, there was some change and this line produced more villains and cooler vehicles and even a new Batcave. This line was doing very well. Perhaps it was because of the TV show, which actually used some of the variant Batman costumes in the show that helped. The only downside I saw were those short lived Bat-Wave toys that interact with the TV show. It?s a nice gimmick, but we could have done without it.

The only problem with this line now is SCALE. The original The Batman figures had only one scale, but The Batman EXP added a couple smaller fixed figures in toys and a few larger figures some with electronic for three different scales. Now with The Batman ShadowTek figures there are no less than four different scales among the basic and deluxe figures and vehicles. It?s so bad they are almost impossible to play with together and forget about the collectors that like to display them, they just look odd together.

Figures I Want To See: Alfred Pennyworth, Commissioner Gordon, Detective Ethan Bennett, Detective Ellen Yin, Professor Hugo Strange and Mayor Grange (if for no other reason than Adam West is the voice)

DC SuperHeroes:

These figures could use some playsets and some vehicles. There was a Batmobile, for the older comic style figures and they released a BatJet and Bat Cycle, but those had a figure (or part of a figure) molded onto to them. There are no Batcave, Crime Alley, Daily Planet or Fortress of Solitude playsets for these figures. Mattel could have followed Toy Biz with the Marvel Legends figures and included a piece of a bigger set with each figure. That would make them both great for display and add play value. Yes, the larger scale costs more money but in the end it is needed to help support the line. Even Kenner and Hasbro knew that and produced playsets to support the various movie lines and animated lines they produced.

They also need to expand the line with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash waves of figures as well. Batman and Superman are great, but how about some new figures based on the rest of the Justice League too. Mattel has the smaller Justice League Unlimited figures, why not include some of those characters into this line as well. Maybe they don?t have the license to do comic styles of these characters, or maybe they are too short sided to see the potential. Batman and Superman waves are fine, but toss in a few other waves based on other DC characters to round out the line would be even better.

Figures I Want To See: Catwoman and Two-Face already have a figures planned but what about The Penguin, Riddler, Nightwing, Oracle, Man-Bat, Harley Quinn and The Huntress. Other DC characters: Aquaman, Wonder Woman (single and maybe even with a Steve Trevor two pack), Wonder Girl, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner), The Flash, Reverse Flash, Green Arrow.
Justice League / Justice League Unlimited:

Batman was (in the comics) never a huge part of the Justice League, yet he has a bigger presence in this line and show than he did before, because Batman and Superman sell more is why. The Justice League figures are in the same scale as the Animated ones, and have (in Batman?s case) slightly different sculpts and the Mission Vision figures have five more points of articulation than their previous JL versions and Animated counterparts and it was step in the right direction.

Batman and Superman seem to get all the cool accessories and so far are the top two most produced of the JL figures. Like the Animated line, this is aimed at kids and it does very well at what it is designed for. It too suffers from the same problems that plague the other lines like short packs and too many variants but kids don?t seem to care so it?s not as big a problem with this line like it was with the Comics line.

Justice League Unlimited was again a step in the right direction with a lot of DC characters getting their very first action figure. Most of the figures still only have 5 points of articulation, which is a bit sad, but a compromise made just to get some of the lesser known characters figures produced. This line is both kid and collector friendly and one of the best, well rounded lines of figures since Kenner?s Super Powers Collection. The only thing I would change is cut out so many duplicate figures in the 3 Packs. I have more than enough Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman figures now, so put less of them in the 3 Packs and things will be even better.

Bringing The Comics To Life:

When DC Direct first started making action figures a few years ago one of their largest properties, Batman and Superman were missing from the lineup. Hasbro had the Batman license until 2002 and the new license with Mattel allowed for other companies to also produce Batman and Superman figures.

This was good news for collectors, as DC Direct will NEVER release a yellow, purple or green Batman variant the way Kenner, Hasbro and Mattel have done. Instead DC Direct produces fan favorite, comic accurate Batman figures albeit in smaller numbers than Mattel and in a limited direct market.

Great Stories Make Great Figures:

DC Direct did figures based on stories like. ?Crisis On Infinite Earths?, ?Kingdom Come?, ?Hush? and ?The Dark Knight Returns? all were great stories and now they are even better figures.

DC published many Trade Paperbacks and Graphic Novels that were full of great character interpretations that would make cool figures including:
?Superman: Speeding Bullets? which featured an interesting Batman/Superman and Joker/Lex Luthor twist.
?The Joker: Devils Advocate? features the Joker with a shaved head in orange prison coveralls for an entirely different look to Gotham?s most notorious criminal.
?Brotherhood of the Bat?, features various ?Batmen? under the control of Ra's Al Ghul.
?Bruce Wayne: Murderer? features Sasha as a Batgirl like sidekick.
DC also has done several extensive series like ?Knightfall?, ?Batman: Contagion? ?Batman: Cataclysm? and ?Batman: No Mans Land? in particular had just every major Batman character both hero and villain that ever appeared in the series including, Catwoman in a White outfit. It even had appearances from Lex Luthor and Superman. In addition because so many different artists worked on the various stories, some characters like Poison Ivy were drawn completely different from book to book. Can some of these figures be far behind? Let?s hope not.

Classic TV Series Batman Figures:

2007 will see the release of die casts the 1966 Batmobile for the first time since 1973, so when do we get figures based on the TV show? These would be based on the characters as they appeared on the 1966 TV Series. I guess the same ?legal issues? (read Money) that are keeping the DVD Season Box sets of the show from being produced also have kept a line like this from being produced too. Some of these characters were NEVER made into action figures they would include:

Batman (Adam West sculpt), Robin (Burt Ward sculpt), Batgirl (Yvonne Craig)
Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Chief O?Hara, Aunt Harriet Cooper, The Joker (Cesar Romero), The Penguin (Burgess Meredith), The Riddler (Frank Gorshin version) Catwoman (Julie Newmar would be best, but 3 different variants, one for each actress could be made), Egghead, King Tut, Mr. Freeze, The Archer, Shame, The Queen of Diamonds, The Mad Hatter, Ma Parker, Falseface.

Market Saturation:

When do you have too many Batman and Superman figures?

Some of these lines and ideas for new lines will succeed but some will suffer that?s just the way it is. If Mattel had a better strategy for distribution it would work better, but they obviously don?t.

Superman Returns figures still languish of pegs at some stores, but Mattel expanded the line with Super Man Returns: Man Of Steel which except for a couple all new figures (Metallo, Mongul) are repaints of the previous Superman Returns line that are still out in some places.

Summary:

Mattel just got this Batman line a five years ago and so far they have had a few stumbles. Overall they are doing an OK job and are getting better and if they take our advice they will become even better. It?s not much too ask of one of the largest toy manufacturers in the world and not too hard to do either.

Mattel produces for the retail consumer market and DC Direct is geared toward the direct collector market. With eCommerce being what it is today it?s hard to tell just which is which sometimes.

DC Direct would be the best if not only choice to produce some of the figures I?ve listed above. I only wish DC Direct would open up production and follow the lead by [b McFarlane Toys/b] and be available in a broader marketplace.

* More articulation (like ToyBiz Marvel Legends)
* Less repaints of Batman (like ToyBiz Spider-man and Hulk)
* More villains, more than one per wave
* Better case ratios a more even assortment is needed
* Better distribution and perhaps more store exclusive lines
* Make the collector happy and the general consumer will be happy too, but not vice versa.

While most of these ideas may never make it to production I feel they deserve some consideration.

RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 04-02-2007 00:58
User Avatar BornAgainBatman
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

Very well Put.
godcomingsoon7 godcomingsoon7 myspace.com/andyakalife Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 04-02-2007 10:16
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Thank You

That post was a combination of a few different posts that I wrote that originally appeared on LoG about three years ago. When I deleted my LoG Account a year or so ago all my posts (over 1,000) went away.

I save most of my longer posts (including Reviews) in Word on my PC and started looking over some of the older stuff I wrote. I edited out most of the older stuff that?s no longer relevant (like Batman Begins and Cyber Revolutions ideas) and updated the post to include new ideas. What?s funny was I had a part about Tyco R/C and UNO in one of my old posts (see below) and some those ideas became reality later on. Was it because somebody at a Toy Company read them and said we should do this? I don?t know, but it?s a good idea to post here just in case.

Tyco R/C:

Well both a 90?s comic book Batmobile and Batcycle have been released. A Monster Truck R/C version of the Batmobile has probably already been designed and hopefully will hit the market soon, if not start on it now please. An R/C Batboat and Batplane should be next on the list. Minor retooling of the bodies is all that is needed as the mechanicals can be used from existing product.

UNO:

A popular card game that has already had other entertainment versions of it made. Why not a Batman themed one? An UNO Attack! with a Joker head launcher would be very cool indeed.

And look at my Summary from back then too. I think we all know what happened. By 2005 the last three waves of comic style figures had all shipped overseas and that line was dead in the U.S. Mattel overproduced and there was a market glut of variants that killed the line. Now in 2006 they are trying to get it back with DC SuperHeroes, but I can?t help but wonder if they will make the same mistake again.

Summary:

Mattel has had a few stumbles with the action figures, but now that those lines are off and running it?s time to look at what more they can do to capitalize on the franchise license.

The third Batmania is coming and by all accounts 2004 and 2005 will be just like 1989 and 1990 if not bigger. Mattel has the resources to leverage this to their advantage the question is will they?

Edited by FlaBat on 04-02-2007 10:26
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 16:09
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

May I ask why you delated your LOG account??

It would be cool if they did a 12'' Line of Batman like the Max Steel stuff. I have about 10 dolls from the Max Steel line and they would make great Batman dolls.

Also what about bringing some comic art to life or should i say plastic?
I am sure the collector would go crazy for some stuff like that.
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 16:59
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

BornAgainBatman wrote:
Also what about bringing some comic art to life or should i say plastic?
I am sure the collector would go crazy for some stuff like that.
What do you mean exactly? We've got all sorts of artist-specific figures from DC Direct as well as a Who's Who line of statues. Scroll to the bottom of DCD's Action Figure listing to see for yourself:

[url]http://dccomics.com/dcdirect/?cat=ACTION+FIGURES[/url]

Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 17:23
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

I remember Todd MCfarlane doing a line called the ART OF SPAWN, which was all base on the artwork of comic covers.
I own all of them and they are great.
They are not to be played with(some you can) but are more like displayed pieces.
They were so popular they did 3 more lines for THE ART OF SPAWN plus they somewhat stuck with the same fomule ever since.
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 20:23
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Mattel isn't allowed to do any "story Arc" line.

In fact, Mattel pays ALOT of money to do the few figures they are actually allowed to do.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 20:37
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

BornAgainBatman wrote:
May I ask why you delated your LOG account??

Well it?s a long story, I was a Member of both LoG and BYTB for a long time. However, to put it simply I did not like some of the things that were happening at LoG. I didn?t like Matt kicking his partner Josh (co founder) off his own Board. I didn?t like Matt?s often arrogant attitude towards the Members and that he (or his LoG Sentries) banned nearly everybody (myself included) who was also a BYTB Member (and all our Staffers). Lastly I did not like the feel of LoG, it had become very much ?clique like?. It was almost like High School with a few the ?in? crowd and most in the ?out? crowd.

So after Matt lifted my 3 Month Ban, I went back, but it was not the same like it was before, so I deleted my Account. I still go back and lurk every now and then, but BYTB is my home and where I choose to hang out. Most of the long time LoG Members are gone as well, so maybe I?m not alone with these feelings.

I wish Matt and LoG well, the past is the past between us, but LoG will NEVER be as large or have the depth of information that BYTB has. They may never offer the services and features that we offer, although LoG does an upgrade every year just after BYTB does.

So what was the Thread Topic?..

Oh yeah Mattel has done it again! The new DC SuperHeroes Wave 5 (Superman) assortment is out and there are FOUR (2 Superman, 1 Bizzaro, 1 Doomsday) REPAINTS of figures from Wave 4 (Doomsday was Wave 2) figures. Some stores STILL HAVE Wave 4 figures hanging on the pegs so now they have more of the same. Supergirl has a new head sculpt and paint job, but the body looks the same. Only Steel and Parasite are truly new figures.

This is EXACTLY what happened to Mattel?s comic line two years ago! So don?t be surprised if the next DC SuperHeroes assortments with Two-Face, Catwoman, The Joker and the (Cassandra Cain) Batgirl don?t get shipped to the overseas market just like the last 3 Waves of the Comic Style before.

RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 05-02-2007 21:02
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
Medal 

Thanks for the Info FlaBat.
I feel like i just had a History class.

When i first became a Batman fan, i was looking for a fansite
& i came upon LOG first and it was great but when i heard about BatmanYTB, I had to check it out.
I was hooked. I am on this Site like 24/7.
I really like this site and i bet you can see from all the threads i am all over them Smile

I am glad you like it here because i know you play a big role here. Love your reveiws and toy collection(BTW i am catching up LOL OKOK one day in a few years) and without you being here will be a big loss for BatmanYTB.
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 20-02-2007 22:03
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

145 page views and only 8 responses? * bangs head on keyboard ygrp[5r4ee;?;?

I know I covered a lot and maybe everybody agrees with me, (wouldn?t that be nice:p) but I still think you (yes youembarrassed) need to speak your piece a put in your two cents worth. BYTB is the largest Batman site on the Internet and I know we have a lot of hardcore collectors and fans that want to be heard. So what would you do if you were Mattel or DC Direct?

First: Mattel has to hire somebody who knows about the franchise (Batman / Superman / DC) and what to do with it. (call me I?m available and I work cheap wink) Seriously Mattel does not seem to know Batman or Superman they only think they know what will sell and what won?t. DC Direct knows this (naturally) and that?s why they keep putting out characters we want. Granted Mattel is limited by License what they can and cannot put out, but they could work at lot better with what they have already.

Second: Mattel has to be able to do something different and that would no doubt make the ?suits? uncomfortable, but stopping the repaints and the variants is a step in the right direction. Superman had DCSH Wave 2, 4 and 5 with 3 figures exactly the same and 3 figures that were repainted. That left a couple new figures to round things out, but they were the hard ones to find. If they feel they need a ?core? figure like Batman or Superman in each wave they OK, but not a whole wave of repaints and re-releases and that?s what they have been doing.

Third: Mattel needs to make the Case Ratios more equal and have less short packed figures. Kill the eBay Scalper Market and put the hard to find figures on the shelves where they belong. I saw 1 Doomsday (normal version), 1 Supergirl (blue version) 2 Steel (1 of each version) a couple of Doomsday (orange variant) and few Parasite figures. They hung there with a LOT of Superman and Bizarro figures at retail recently. DC Direct puts out a well-balanced wave of figures EVERY time, why can?t Mattel?

Fourth: Mattel needs to listen to who?s buying and not to who they think ?might? buy. I write a lot of the Figure Reviews here telling what I like and don?t like about the figures (and you respond) and I?ve written Op-Ed pieces on BYTB, ROC and LoG and other boards for years. I even wrote Robert A. Eckert, CEO of Mattel back in 2002 telling him what I wanted to see happen now that Mattel was going to put out Batman figures. Sometimes what I write about wanting comes true, but more often than not it?s more of the same old thing. Change can be hard, but change can be good.

If you always do what you?ve always done, you will always get what you?ve always got. big grin

Time for Mattel to figure that out and make some changes before they have to send this series of figures overseas like the did with the last line of comic style figures. sad

RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 20-02-2007 22:32
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Hopefully they're just going through the "Spider-man" faze.

When Toy-biz started making collectible figures, they released the Spider-man series, which consisited of Venom, Man-spider and Rhino figures, and then they filled the rest out with a dozen superposeable Spider-man variants.

Of course it only took Toy-biz under a year to realize they needed to make more figures, hence the begining of Marvel Legends. Mattel's having a little trouble in the "Stop making variants and start making new figures that they actually want" department.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 20-02-2007 22:42
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I thought you made some very good points, but I also hadn't responded because I know I'm one of the worst consumers out there from an action figure manufacturer's POV. I generally buy only one version of any particular character, tend to spend more money on cars & robots than traditional figures, and the few figures I do buy are just to look cool in my Muppet Backstage (so things like articulation and action features are pretty much lost on me).

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 20-02-2007 22:51
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Look man, they've released about five differant Superman variants. In theire eyes, everyone's a bad consumer.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 20-02-2007 22:51
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 20-02-2007 23:10
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Well, the first thing you all have to remember.. Mattel is NOT allowed to make anything other than Batman/Superman. There are certain characters in the Batman/Superman family that they are NOT allowed to make.

They are NOT allowed to do storyline figures.

Now this is for the Comic S3 Sculpt only.

Hopefully, soon, I'll have more info on this line to pass along..

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 21-02-2007 00:19
User Avatar Darknight
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

With the really cool Clayface figure coming from Mattel, DC Direct ought to do a Mud Pack set of the four Clayfaces. The original was just a serial killer, then thre was Matt Hagan (who was in the cartoon). Next was a guy who got a blood transfusion from Hagan (long story) and had caustic skin, and then a women Clayface (whose origin escapes me now). That would make a great set, and would probably sell well to comic fans.

SGFin99 Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 21-02-2007 00:59
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

There has been 6 Clayfaces:

Basil Karlo
Matt Hagen
Preston Payne
Sondra Fuller
Cassius
Johnny Williams

RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 21-02-2007 01:22
User Avatar Drunken Fist
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

I haven't responded yet because I've been saying pretty much the same things for about five years now(since the relaunch of the MAsters of the Universe line, another great line that was plagued by many of the same problems). I've just gotten a little tired of grumbling about it honestly, since it's obvious that Mattel doesn't listen. There are people at Mattel who are aware of all the mistakes and try to improve things, but the bottom line is that the people in charge, who actually make the big decisions, are so out of touch with the consumers that they continue to make the same mistakes over an over again, ad infinitum. So many lines have been ruined because of tall this pig-headed idiocy, and I've pretty much gotten tired of the whole situation. When the new figures I want come out, I'll buy 'em when I get the chance. I'm just not willing to agonize over all this anymore, at least not until it seems that Mattel is actually willing to listen.

See my Myspace profile!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG!
drunkenfistboxer Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 21-02-2007 23:24
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Drunken Fist wrote:
I haven't responded yet because I've been saying pretty much the same things for about five years now(since the relaunch of the MAsters of the Universe line, another great line that was plagued by many of the same problems).

Yes, but then the Four Horsemen stepped in to give us some of the best mini-statues ever. I wouldn't mind seeing DC characters done like that.

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 22-02-2007 00:27
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

See, this is what I wanted.

If we say nothing then we have no right to complain about what happens.

RE: An Open Letter to Mattel and DC Direct about Batman figures - Posted on 22-02-2007 07:59
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

beyond wrote:
Well, the first thing you all have to remember.. Mattel is NOT allowed to make anything other than Batman/Superman. There are certain characters in the Batman/Superman family that they are NOT allowed to make.

I understand that Mattel only has some of the Batman and Superman characters for the DCSH line right now. The problem is that they have the rights to (and already shown) more figures than they have released so far, so why the flood of Superman in three of the first five waves of figures?

They released a Clark Kent / Superman two pack, why not a Bruce Wayne / Batman two pack with a black business suit and the comic style Bruce Wayne head from the overseas wave of figures and put Batman in black and gray rather than blue and gray? They just did Steel, but what about the other three ?Superman? characters that rose up after Superman?s death?

No, rather than do whole waves of new figures Mattel was content to flood the market with Superman and they did this while the Superman Returns and Superman Returns Man Of Steel figures were already hanging on the pegs. Mattel either does not know what they are doing or worse, they don?t care what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.